Model M SSK and Brand New Model F controller and solenoid

nihilist00

05 Mar 2024, 09:02

I would like to fit a solenoid to my IBM Model M SSK, provided it can be done fairly easily.

A Geekhack post by orihalcon back in 2015 says this is possible using a Model F controller because the SSK has a 16x8 matrix.

I am about to place an order at Brand New Model F. If I order an extra controller, solenoid controller and solenoid, is there a decent chance that I'd be able to get the solenoid working in my SSK? If so, which controller should I choose? There seem to be two candidates:
  • F122/Unsaver/3178/AT Controller; and
  • Model F USB (New Models).
Also, does anyone know if the new solenoid is likely to fit in the SSK's case? From what I've found on this topic it seems like it was a tight fit with the original beamspring solenoid, and Brand New Model F says that the new solenoid is larger.

If there is a different recommend path to success in installing solenoids in Model M SSKs (or even full-size Ms) then I'd be very interested.

Ellipse

07 Mar 2024, 01:35

The controller "Model F USB (New Models)" would probably be what you need.

Unless there is QMK or Vial support for the Model M SSK you probably have to use the original xwhatsit firmware, which should work for any board with the default firmware attached.

The instructions and capsense utility to set the keymapping can be found here: https://static.wongcornall.com/ibm-capsense-usb/

Solenoid dimensions are approximately 29x24x57mm
Attachments
ibm_capsense_usb_model_f_debounce_6 version 0.9.3 for updated wcass controllers.zip
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

nihilist000

13 Mar 2024, 19:26

[Re-registered with a new name after getting locked out by the password reset failure.]
Thank you very much Ellipse! I have a spare xwhatsit on order with my FSSK, so all being well I'll be able to try this approach later this year.

Return to “Keyboards”