Need help troubleshooting Model M

eZtaR

13 Mar 2024, 20:50

I bought a model M that someone had spilled coffee in and have been trying to fix it up.

When i first connected it via PS2 the computer beeped a lot, but that quieted down after spamming some key (shift i think) and i could diagnose that a trace was not working (both shifts, f4/f5, etc.).

I decided on trying my hand at bolt modding it.

I took it apart, cleaned the caps and the trace and when i assembled it again - it just makes my speakers beep, when connecting through PS2 (but numlock lights up correctly) and no keys seem to react - same but without the beeping through a ps2-converter.

I've checked:
  • The cable
  • The trace
  • Checked the springs are still in place
Is my last resort buying a new control board?

minimal

14 Mar 2024, 23:47

Since you've cleaned the membranes and examined the traces, I might check to see that you haven't overtightened the bolts in the backplate causing some / all of the traces to be permanently activated due to the pressure being applied to them.

I'm just starting a similar journey on a few M's that I've collected and I've seen lots of folks warning that the bolts / screws are not there to apply pressure between the barrel plate and backplate, only to hold it in place. Partly for that reason I've chosen to go with screws through the rear of the backplate instead of a run-through bolt / nut solution.

All this being said, I've not yet done one of these mods (I'm starting my first this weekend), I'm just passing along what I've read and been told by those who have gone before me.

JAZIGamer

15 Mar 2024, 05:29

What model PCB is it? You can get tested PCB's for most models from clickykeyboards

If your membrane has been damaged, Unicomp makes them for 101, 102 keyboards still. Both great company's.

Good luck!

minimal

15 Mar 2024, 18:25

Yeah, I'll second that opinion on both Unicomp and ClickyKeyboards. I've dealt with both repeatedly and have never been disappointed.

Return to “Keyboards”