Buckling Spring PCjr Keyboard

rocco_16v

12 Apr 2024, 06:38

Finished and Sound Test
https://imgur.com/a/RhnkavV

Internal Mods
https://imgur.com/a/nwKMNN2

This is my latest project, I figured to post it here as well (posted it on Reddit some weeks ago). I made my own buckling springs small form factor keyboard (has the same key functionality as a TKL except the Scroll Lock key which I don't use). I know I'm not the first to modify and "enhance" the PCjr keyboard. This is just my take on making the "worst keyboard ever" into something more usable. I wanted to retain as much original IBM technology as possible in the build.

It's not the most professional looking modification (it can certainly be improved), but I had fun doing it.

guidemetothelight

12 Apr 2024, 08:04

I love that project ! always wanted a small form factor buckling spring board.
Iam still curious about the components used.
ggCMIp9.jpeg
ggCMIp9.jpeg (508.86 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Is the upper part just the normal PCr top shell or is it custom 3 printed ?
Also, which IBM (typewriter??) keyboard assembly did you use for the job ?

Lovely outcome, I must say.
I was hoping that fricked´s F54 would come to life someday, but sadly doubt that :?

robo

12 Apr 2024, 17:37

Looks awesome... except for the Windows logo, which seems out of place on that vintage looking board (but I guess I dislike seeing it on any keyboard)

rocco_16v

13 Apr 2024, 04:22

guidemetothelight wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 08:04
Iam still curious about the components used.
Is the upper part just the normal PCr top shell or is it custom 3 printed ?
Also, which IBM (typewriter??) keyboard assembly did you use for the job ?
The case is an original PCjr but it has been significantly modified (top and bottom). The only 3D printed parts are the rear supports for the assembly, the 4P4C (RJ11/12) connector housing and supports and both of the IR LED plugs on the back. This specific assembly came off an 1985 Wheel Writer 5. But the assembly from the Wheel Writer 3 or 6 should also work. The ones with the inverted T-Nav like on Wheel Writer 2 and 1000 will not fit.
Last edited by rocco_16v on 13 Apr 2024, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

rocco_16v

13 Apr 2024, 04:23

robo wrote:
Looks awesome... except for the Windows logo, which seems out of place on that vintage looking board (but I guess I dislike seeing it on any keyboard)
Thanks. I have been considering replacing the new Windows key with the old (Win95) logo to make it look more timely accurate. I use it often for multiple shortcuts (on Linux and Windows) so for me its practical to have it.

guidemetothelight

13 Apr 2024, 13:09

rocco_16v wrote:
The case is an original PCjr but it has been significantly modified (top and bottom). The only 3D printed parts are the rear supports for the assembly, the 4P4C (RJ11/12) connector housing and supports and both of the IR LED plugs on the back.
So, if I understand correctly , the barrel´s in the top part of the case do not have to modified to get this to work ? The wheelwriter key placement is the same as on the PCjr ?
Thanks for clarifying !
rocco_16v wrote:
This specific assembly came off an 1985 Wheel Writer 5. But the assembly from the Wheel Writer 3 or 6 should also work. The ones with the inverted T-Nav like on Wheel Writer 2 and 1000 will not fit.
Thanks ! Ive I ever get my hands on a cheap PCjr keyboard, that is what I will do ! sick project, love super custom bs stuff

rocco_16v

14 Apr 2024, 05:10

guidemetothelight wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 13:09
So, if I understand correctly , the barrel´s in the top part of the case do not have to modified to get this to work ? The wheelwriter key placement is the same as on the PCjr ?
The only cut on the WW5's barrel plate was on the left hand side (on my picture the 10 barrels with no keys installed). I had to file the original case key's opening approximately by 4mm on each of the right, left and top sides to make it all fit. The space between the original alt key (code key now) and the badge had to be significantly enlarged (about 0.75u). Sorry for the bad quality drawing, the shaded areas is what I trimmed off the original top case (not to scale).

It was a very slow process of file a little bit then retry fitment. I used a rotary tool for the initial cuts but the rest was done with files and a sandpaper block to avoid removing too much material at once. The "how to modify the case" procedure was entirely trial and error. Here is a drawing side view (cutout) on how the assembly sits inside the case (Top is original PCjr bottom is WW5 assembly), again sorry for the bad quality drawing (not to scale).

depletedvespene

14 Apr 2024, 13:14

rocco_16v wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 04:23
robo wrote:
Thanks. I have been considering replacing the new Windows key with the old (Win95) logo to make it look more timely accurate. I use it often for multiple shortcuts (on Linux and Windows) so for me its practical to have it.
The IBM PC Jr was released 20 months earlier than Windows 1.0 — perhaps a stylized logo representing the command line ("J:\>") would be best.

AndyJ

20 Apr 2024, 15:08

I'd adopt one of the legends or symbols from the Space Cadet keycap markings.

Nice mod! You got a "space saver" keyboard with some old-school technology.

Return to “Keyboards”