New Filco ISO with Reds, Finally! But... PING OF DEATH?

Vax

27 Jun 2012, 11:40

Monday morning the TNT guy delivered the new Filco TKL ISO/DE with Reds to my Home and I immediately went on a test drive with it. I already had the chance to test MrInterface's Filco Red (also his Daily Driver btw) at the Keyboard Party so I kinda knew what to expect.

What I didn't expect was the PING OF DEATH :evil: It's pretty much only noticable when you jam the Key hard and release it quickly. Then you can hear it loud and clear. Otherwise on normal typing you can't really hear it. Also the only keys that seem to trigger it are F2, CapsLock, Right Win and Roll. I kinda think that it has something to do with special mountpoints on the board? Because all of those keys are in places where a screw could be or something else mandatory for holding the parts together!?

I know it's a common problem on Filcos but my Filco with Browns doesn't have it at all. Does anyone know any tips that could help minimize or get rid of the problem? Since my other Filco doesn't have it I haven't done any research on it yet.

guilleguillaume

27 Jun 2012, 12:31

It seems I got lucky this time because my Filco Japanese with MX Red has that PING of DEATH but the Filco ISO with MX Red I received today doesn't have it :shock:

BTW Impressive keyboard. The case is actually different from the previous Filco I had, it's not smotth and have rough surface as some keycaps which is fantastic because it doesn't show fingerprints on the case or at least they are not visible at all.

off

27 Jun 2012, 12:33

Drown 'em in that (white) shit!

Did you order it after testing at the party? 'Cause that would be some darn quick service!

*ninja'd: Filco Jap? PICS!? :o

Maarten

27 Jun 2012, 12:39

off wrote:Drown 'em in that (white) shit!
Erm..... eew? Im pretty sure that will make the ping go away but wont i make your board all sticky?

HzFaq

27 Jun 2012, 12:45

Did you order it after testing at the party? 'Cause that would be some darn quick service!

*ninja'd: Filco Jap? PICS!? :o
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_deta ... RODUCT=930

I've heard that putting a thin layer of foam between the bottom of the case and the PCB can help with "ping". Can't say I've ever had ping on my Filco though.

off

27 Jun 2012, 12:47

Maarten wrote:
Erm..... eew? Im pretty sure that will make the ping go away but wont i make your board all sticky?
Hold it! I never mentioned you getting anywhere near that board!
And I only meant the switch internals (spring probably) ofcourse. ;)

Vax

27 Jun 2012, 13:48

guilleguillaume wrote:BTW Impressive keyboard. The case is actually different from the previous Filco I had, it's not smotth and have rough surface as some keycaps which is fantastic because it doesn't show fingerprints on the case or at least they are not visible at all.
Yeah the board is really good - except of the Ping. What I noticed directly was that the Caps are different than those on my Filco Brown. They are slightly rougher, not so slippy and a little more Matte, but also don't have that deep Black, more like a Dark Grey. For typing I like them better then the older Version.

ripster

28 Jun 2012, 02:52

My Filco Limited Red pinged in the Enter key area (plate resonance amplifies it) but it eventually went away. Both Elitekeyboards and The Keyboard Company say it often goes away after a while, in my case over a month.

And btw why are you worrying so much when you normally don't even hear it?
. Otherwise on normal typing you can't really hear it.

Return to “Keyboards”