Disappointed with CMStorm

shogrran

03 Jul 2012, 14:43

I got my keyboard from a retailer in Singapore. A friend bought it for me.

I was extremely happy with the keyboard at first as I believed the quality is good for the price. I even recommended the keyboard several times in forums for other people.

I now have this problem where 1. every once in a while when I press the forward slash button with the "I" button and the "N" button(or other 3 button combinations) the keyboard spams several keys at once and then spams the + symbol. Aside from this if the removable USB connector is "moved" key spamming also occurs.

I opened a ticket asking for support on the matter and all they can say is they do not offer global support for the product and that I have to contact the retailer in Singapore and they even informed me that the Singaporean retailer does not offer shipping as well.

I believe this sucks. I have experienced getting top notch global support for a cheap 400peso fan by companies such as fractal and yet I can't get shit for an expensive keyboard.

I hope there's a CMStorm representative here that can read this. For me your support sucks and that is very disappointing.

off

03 Jul 2012, 16:00

shogrran wrote:1. I believe this sucks.

2. I hope there's a CMStorm representative here that can read this. For me your support sucks and that is very disappointing.
1. I concur.
2. Afaik, no. There was one that came by once in a long while over at GH though, but.. just looking at their official forums made me quickly lose hope in getting something truly done by them, sadly.
GL!

Drake_Megrim

03 Jul 2012, 16:33

Not to plug other places but I think overclock.net has CM reps on their page. At least, that's some of the comments I've seen in going through their forums.

off

03 Jul 2012, 16:43

Ofcourse being vocal about your issues on the high-profile places around the web will make most companies turn around and reconsider..

hamza_tm

04 Jul 2012, 11:34

"most" being the key phrase there

shogrran

04 Jul 2012, 14:46

Yea. I'm just airing my frustrations here as there would be people who can relate. Support is really a big factor to consider before making a purchase. And from now on I'll make an effort to check the support provided by the companies before I make a purchase.

off

04 Jul 2012, 15:28

sadly I purchased a storm product after having noticed how lackluster their support seemed (the spawn)... promising firmware updates (fixes!) and then not updating the topic in half a year; and I am talking bugfixes, most of which should not take more than 1FTEweek to solve at all. Still not resolved btw.

For reference, just one of the (more infuriating) issues: CM Storm Spawn causing very high cpu usage spikes probably through some abysmal polling routine (wrecking DPC latency, and soaring overall cpu usage) had been acknowledged in july of last year, disregarding that the issue should've gone high-priority a while before that, only in january of this year has it been confirmed that the support team could even reproduce the bug (and ofcourse that they'd "fix it ASAP"), and as of now (one year after admitting 'houston we have a problem') there is no fix in sight; and to make matters worse, I vehemently remember reading a post in that thread by a CM Storm rep (about a month ago) 'admitting' that 'they won't fix it', but that post has disappeared completely.

I actually do use the mouse, mostly because it's the only decent-dpi mouse I've got; and am just sucking up the spikes, my system is low-end anyhow.
/storm rant
*edit to remove the spoiler tag (noticed I was fully on-topic!) and add in the url for mentioned thread.

airan

04 Jul 2012, 16:00

Out of interest, what CM Storm keyboard did you buy?

dorkvader

04 Jul 2012, 16:51

I suspect it was the QF rapid, as it has a removable controller. I don't have any of the "other" CM keyboards, but I don't believe they have one.

There were two CM reps at GH, if I recall correctly. Battlesheep was the first, and CMcarter (I think) came later.

{If it's a QF rapid}
I would recommend re-seating the controller. You might also want to look for an intermittent connection. Replacing that pin header could very well solve your issue. Barring that, I'd get a teensy.

Peter

04 Jul 2012, 17:24

I find it troubling that you guys worry about 'support' .. For a keyboard ??
These days, it ain't exactly rocket-science to produce a decent board, is it ??

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed with ALL 'modern' keyboards .
I have a ISO-BIGASS Steelseries 6gV2 and it's an AWESOME keyboard in many respects..
But the dirt-collecting lazered sponge-caps AND the 'non-default' Cherry non-compatible layout ??
WHAT where you guys thinking ?

(It's not even a 'Standard' BIGASS-Enter .. NO.....
It was necessary to use some 'unique' BIGASS-Enter !)

off

04 Jul 2012, 18:15

Peter wrote:I find it troubling that you guys worry about 'support' .. For a keyboard ??
These days, it ain't exactly rocket-science to produce a decent board, is it ??
For the record, I mentioned the support of a mouse, not a keyboard. ;)

And ofcourse just producing a decent product is far from rocket science, just a cool job; but producing a decent one for the price of fish&chips is where it seems to get tricky.

Also, even on actually decent products, if the quality control is even slightly lacking you might end up with a so-called monday-morning production in your lap; in which case you'll need 'support' to be able to even exchange the thing.

Return to “Keyboards”