Which switch type is more ergonomic?

Brown
52%
Red
48%

Total votes: 63

pyro

19 Jul 2012, 22:06

Those of you, who use keyboards for their profession and tried both switch types, which do you prefer?

I've been typing on reds for quite some time now, and just recently switched to browns. My first impression was browns posed more resistance. Now I feel like they're easier to type on, but I'm not sure if that's just adaptation.

What do you think?

Mrinterface

19 Jul 2012, 22:12

Reds! Non bumpy linearity wins me over all the time ;-)

Icarium

19 Jul 2012, 22:15

I still don't have a proper boards with reds. Very odd. :)

IvanIvanovich

20 Jul 2012, 01:24

Reds win with me for sure. I always thought brown was the most appropriate color for that switch, same color as what they feel like. They really are my least favorite MX. Blues are where it's at for tactile switches.

GeorgeStorm

20 Jul 2012, 01:27

I'd probably go reds aswell, silky smooth :D

RC-1140

20 Jul 2012, 01:34

If I really have to choose between these two switches for typing, then I would choose browns.
I just need to know, when the switch actuated. Otherwise I bottom out so hard, my fingers ache. If I try not to I often miss keypresses. Linear switches are the best for gaming, but tactility is necessary for typing.

But don't get me wrong: I really don't like browns, but they're the better choice if I have to decide between linear switches and Browns for ergonomic typing.

modulor

20 Jul 2012, 03:41

Reds for me...I'm a linear fan after trying the 4 standards (Black, Brown, Blue, Red)

Kurk

20 Jul 2012, 11:57

Browns! I like my switches tactile.

maxrunner

20 Jul 2012, 15:18

So if reds are not tactile how do they compare with the blacks? i dont really like blacks.

GeorgeStorm

20 Jul 2012, 16:02

They're just a lighter version really.

tipo33

20 Jul 2012, 19:54

Yes, linear, but with a lighter resistance.

aggiejy

23 Jul 2012, 17:25

I would have said reds the first week or two I was typing on them. But ended up going back to browns for the long haul. Just feels right! :)

appeac

23 Jul 2012, 21:23

Between the two, browns, but the tactility difference isn't that great.

My favorite is the clear, which is like a 7 on the tactility scale while you're debating between a 2 and 4.

pyro

23 Jul 2012, 21:42

Although difference in tactility might depend on typing speed and whether you bottom out.

imagran

23 Jul 2012, 22:34

I am also struggling with a choice. I currently have Sidewinder x4 - rubber dome keyboard. I play LOTS of starcraft and cs. I though at first that maybe the browns are the way to go for me but then ended up with some thoughts that i could be hard to spam with tactile and therfore need to bottom out. So i started considering Reds. Any help?

Tenkey

24 Jul 2012, 11:00

I personally hate browns, blues and reds for me

kint

24 Jul 2012, 16:21

imagran wrote:I am also struggling with a choice. I currently have Sidewinder x4 - rubber dome keyboard. I play LOTS of starcraft and cs. I though at first that maybe the browns are the way to go for me but then ended up with some thoughts that i could be hard to spam with tactile and therfore need to bottom out. So i started considering Reds. Any help?
I always tend to forget that Rubberdomes are tactile as well. Not in a mechanical way but the bump is there.
I just compared my Sidewinder X4 vs MX clears and the bump certainly is more pronounced on the X4 (imo !). Considered browns have less tactility than clears have, their tactility shouldn't hinder you at least. Another thing however is whether it will improve the gaming experience since you're going to bottom out most likely anyway - solely for gaming: go with reds.
But I don't know how that discussion fits into the topic .... :? on which my opinions is: both switches are to light for me. :(

voidburn

24 Jul 2012, 16:55

Reds above anything else, thanks to living close by to xbb (which has a bit of everything) I could try them all, and was able to determine that it's reds all the way for me (even though I'm currently using blacks with blue springs, which are virtually identical to reds).

I love reds for gaming, and they are absolutely gorgeous for coding and gaming (provided your paws are not heavy as a troll's, else you might be misfiring a lot :D)

Btw, thanks to reds I re-discovered the pleasures of typing, anything above 45g pressure for actuation puts a strain to my fingers and wrists. I actually healed from my RSI condition on my right wrist.

cinch

26 Jul 2012, 19:05

RC-1140 wrote:If I really have to choose between these two switches for typing, then I would choose browns.
I just need to know, when the switch actuated. Otherwise I bottom out so hard, my fingers ache. If I try not to I often miss keypresses. Linear switches are the best for gaming, but tactility is necessary for typing.

But don't get me wrong: I really don't like browns, but they're the better choice if I have to decide between linear switches and Browns for ergonomic typing.
interesting. for me it's the otherway way around.
i tend to bottom out more on the browns, in order to be sure i've hit the activation bump. whereas with reds, since they're so light, i hit it just right and know it's been activated. there if i bottom out, i know i've used too much force. but with browns, it's like two layers: the bump and then the bottom out. the bump then get's more in the way since i'm not sure if the resistence is from the bottom out or the bump. sure there's a difference in the two, but for me, linear feels more consistent.
different strokes for different folks. i wish there was a tactile switch that requires less force as with the reds. maybe i just perfer typing lighter and so the issue is less about tactility, since the brown requires considerably more force.

brown:
red:

btw, can someone interpret the meaning of these diagrams? what do the two lines mean? pressure point is the tactile bump?

ruhtraeel

27 Jul 2012, 10:07

Forever alone with my rubber domes

I've tried the Razer Blackwidow and the Thermaltake Meka, and I still like my Compaq-GYUR86SK the most.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-GYUR86SK ... 5d339bea4a

hamza_tm

27 Jul 2012, 10:33

Reds are boring.

Tend to bottom out - or i just can't be bothered learning to type so lightly :shrugs:

Browns are lovely though, but if you type really fast they are kinda wasted.

pyro

27 Jul 2012, 13:34

I guess there's a line for pressing the key down and one for it coming back up again?

pyro

29 Jul 2012, 11:53

Just replaced the stems in my Truly Ergonomic with black ones, but left the F-row and the three toggle buttons beneath it as the original Browns, and now I'm certain I prefer the Ghetto Reds. Browns are nice to type on for long periods (~30 minutes and longer) at a time, but they feel clogged to me when it's just a few strokes (I don't bottom out, if that matters).

On another note, I don't think I could ever go back to a staggered layout. It's like twisting my fingers now.

Hyde

30 Jul 2012, 04:05

I can't decide if I like red or brown better. At the moment I like red a bit better for gaming and brown a bit better for typing. However I do know I like both of them better than blue and black for both typing and gaming.

Gaben

30 Jul 2012, 04:41

I just got a HPE 87 Cherry MX Brown delivered to me about two hours ago.

I really can't feel any bump at all, after typing on it for a bit I can see where the bump is however it is VERY light.

This is my first mechanical keyboard ever though so I can't really compare it to any other switch.

riffraff

30 Jul 2012, 07:07

Red's are very nice.

Return to “Keyboards”