Happy Hacking keyboard slides about with gay abandon

Pixel Eater

19 Jul 2012, 22:23

Okay okay so I maybe exaggerating a little, but I'm just wondering on the best way to stop the HHKB sliding. It stays mostly in place for average use, but whenever I start to hit 80 wpm or so I am having it get away from me. What is the best solution for stopping this? Does anyone sell rubber feet that would be perfect for the job/not change the height? I'm honestly dying to know what I can hit when the damn thing stays in place. Please advise.

woody
Count Troller

19 Jul 2012, 22:48

Nail/glue to the desk?

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jul 2012, 23:05

Just harvest some rubber bits from old unused electronics.

modulor

20 Jul 2012, 03:43

I would suggest either rubber nubs/feet on the bottom, or get a large mousepad-like mat to place it on.

TexasFlood

20 Jul 2012, 05:10

Think I've seen rubber feet at Home Depot and maybe Radio Shack. The title of this thread made me laugh :lol:

kalrykh

21 Jul 2012, 00:00

Your avatar looks like a hat with testicles.

itlnstln

21 Jul 2012, 01:57

Shelf liner.

kint

21 Jul 2012, 10:08

I use foam rubber.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/5x-Moosgummi-Zel ... 337886322f

It's self addhesive, cheap, adds almost no height and the more you apply the less the board moves. I.e. one 1cm width strip across the bords front edge will prevent the board from being shoved at all, you have to slightly lift it to be able to move the keyboard. It's not as sturdy to wear as rubber though especially on he edges.

Pixel Eater

28 Jul 2012, 07:44

So I found another solution in egrips aka GeckoStrips. I bought one of their universal kits of narrow strips, cleaned the HHKB feet with iso alcohol and trimmed two bits to length. These were very close to exactly the right size and raised the board just a hair, nobody would know. These have a kind of interesting property where horizontal motion allows them to slide freely, but downward and really any typing motion I execute doesn't see it budge. I didn't have to remove the stock feet and the change is probably as subtle or elegant as possible, so I'm pretty happy with this.

phasebash

13 Aug 2012, 22:04

Return to “Keyboards”