Wrist-Rests

mass

13 Feb 2011, 01:58

Love the 10 layers of macro-keys. My frequent main, but it is currently under another modification.
And of course, the cherry key... :)

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Feb 2011, 02:16

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 12:20

mass wrote:French? :mrgreen:

I've already modified it to QWERTY.
Awesome mod! The cut looks very clean! I kinda hate that enter key though, I still wish Cherry made a proper ANSI US variant of the g80-2100.

mass

13 Feb 2011, 18:24

sixty wrote: Awesome mod! The cut looks very clean! I kinda hate that enter key though, I still wish Cherry made a proper ANSI US variant of the g80-2100.
I do agree. That is what I am after right now. :)

Moogle Stiltzkin

17 Feb 2011, 06:41

That wood rest looks interesting.

But it's wood, so i don't see how comfortable it can be :/

The Ducky leather palm rest i was skeptical at first because it looked flat. But in use it makes sense because my palms are resting at the perfect high so i don't have to claw stretch out my fingers so much.

Problem with it though is it keeps sliding to the right when i press down too hard.

db_Iodine

19 Feb 2011, 18:28

Today I made my own wrist rest made of 2 pieces of foam. I thought that I'd want something similar to the uTron wrist rests even though I've never tried those. I had to improvise since I only had a small piece of foam left. This is how the final product looks like:

It's a little bit taller than my keyboards are, but it gives away just the right amount when I rest my wrists on it. I'm going to have to try out if this would work as a permanent solution or not. It cost about 2€ to make and took me an hour. I could say it's good value.

RiGS

19 Feb 2011, 18:39

Nice one! I have an idea to make a DIY wrist rest from ballistic gelatin.

Brian8bit

19 Feb 2011, 19:22

RiGS wrote:Nice one! I have an idea to make a DIY wrist rest from ballistic gelatin.
Doesn't that melt and liquify whenever it's outside specific parameters?

RiGS

19 Feb 2011, 22:24

LOL, I haven't thought of that, but it is quite possible.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Feb 2011, 23:15

That came out pretty nice! I dare you to stich your watermark into the actual wrist rest. Now that would make it bad ass! And also impress the ladies!

db_Iodine

19 Feb 2011, 23:38

sixty wrote:That came out pretty nice! I dare you to stich your watermark into the actual wrist rest. Now that would make it bad ass! And also impress the ladies!
This was my initial idea, but I'm not sure yet on how I'm going to do that. Actual stiching would look really good, but would also need massive amount of work. Then again plain silver sharpie wouldn't look nearly as good, mostly because of my hand writing.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Feb 2011, 23:40

u jelly?

runeazn

20 Feb 2011, 00:04

nice DIY wristrest, i just use the ducky wristrest full size version.
on the 1087 rofl

db_Iodine

20 Feb 2011, 12:06

sixty wrote:u jelly?
I don't think I could do that. Perhaps I need to just practice and give it a shot later.

laden3

20 Feb 2011, 12:36

Print your name on a piece of paper, then cut out the printed name. Then... you know what to do =P

Minskleip

20 Feb 2011, 23:20

You who use wrist rests, what do you do with your wrists when you don't have your 'rests?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Feb 2011, 00:44

Live with the pain and whine about it or fold a towel or something until it somewhat matches the height and size of my wrist rest.

Minskleip

21 Feb 2011, 01:55

Have you tried sitting with your elbows tucked in, 90 degrees hoover style?

microsoft windows

21 Feb 2011, 22:01

I can't stand wrist rests. I like my keyboards at the very edge of the table, so it forces me to keep my wrists elevated and use proper technique. The thing about wrist rests is they also encourage me to rest my wrists while typing, which is not very good for them.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Feb 2011, 22:23

Ebony one finally in the mail. I expect the customs to confess and burn this, but we shall see.

itlnstln

22 Feb 2011, 22:25

I'll have to see how the Ducky wrist rest stacks up to the ol' floppy dong when it comes in. It should be here Friday.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Mar 2011, 18:58

I received my Korean wood one today. 0 in customs! Will take pics and impressions later.

itlnstln

03 Mar 2011, 19:07

Update on the Ducky rest:

It's nice, but short. Couple that with the Ducky keyboard which seems to be taller than average and I wasn't really digging it. The Ducky rest with my Realforce is a good combo, however. It's just kinda weird how tall the Ducky keyboard is.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Mar 2011, 13:25

Color sample of my Indonesian Ebony. I already love this thing. It smells really nice too. Still no idea how I managed to get it through customs at 0 cost. I went in there with the assumption they would crack it in half over their knees and then burn it!

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Mar 2011, 13:28

I like it, looks very classy!

rouston

04 Mar 2011, 14:19

wow, might think of getting one :p

itlnstln

04 Mar 2011, 14:54

That's hot. Did I miss where you bought that rest at? I want, like, 8 of them.

Shazb0t

04 Mar 2011, 15:32

I've never even considered using a wrist wrest. Does it really make that much of a difference?

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Mar 2011, 15:35

I'm not a big fan of them, they take desk space and I don't rest my hands in front of my keyboard. Sometimes they look out of place, like a rest as big as the entire HHKB keyboard. But these wooden handmade ones I really like.. maybe more visually than as objects I'd really use.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Mar 2011, 15:35

itlnstln wrote:That's hot. Did I miss where you bought that rest at? I want, like, 8 of them.
It was an order on kbdmania. A friend helped me to buy one. It took like three months or something until it was made. The guy who made it is a carpenter and let people choose the wood they wanted to use. Sadly he also announced this was the last wave of wrist-rests he would be making.
Shazb0t wrote:I've never even considered using a wrist wrest. Does it really make that much of a difference?
I would say so yes. At first I did not like the feeling at all. It took several weeks to get used to it, but now I can't go back.

Return to “Keyboards”