MX with diodes?

TDub

03 Aug 2012, 11:01

Hi,
This may be a noob question.
I recently bought an old Cherry G80 to gut for spare parts. The plate mounted MX blacks have to additional solder spots and I was wondering if anyone knows what they are for. I read about switches with diodes build into them. Could it be those?
I took some pictures:
Spoiler:
Here you can just barely make out a wire inside the switch that I think connects to the spots.
I tested it and the keyboard isn't NKRO so why would the use switches with diodes (if that is what they are)?

HzFaq

03 Aug 2012, 11:06

If you can see a little red thing throug the hole in the top of the switch (above those solder points) they're diodes, if not, they're just jumpers. As you've said the board doesn't have NKRO I'd suggest they are jumpers, I've got an old G80 that has similar solder points on all the switches if you open them up there is just a little wire inside.

huttala

03 Aug 2012, 12:03

HzFaq wrote:If you can see a little red thing throug the hole in the top of the switch (above those solder points) they're diodes, if not, they're just jumpers. As you've said the board doesn't have NKRO I'd suggest they are jumpers, I've got an old G80 that has similar solder points on all the switches if you open them up there is just a little wire inside.
What he said.

kint

03 Aug 2012, 13:42

Okay, now we have a topic discussing the "wire in MX" and one discussing the "diode in MX". All that's left is one dioscussing "no wire nor diode in MX". :P
further reading on the function of the thingy in MX:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/cher ... lit=jumper

btw, the MX in your pics aren't plate mounted.

Soarer

03 Aug 2012, 14:18

TDub wrote:... I read about switches with diodes build into them. Could it be those?
Nope, just jumper wires in that 'board, can tell by the PCB traces :ugeek:

TDub

03 Aug 2012, 20:56

Ok thx! I meant PCB mounted but apparently my brain is on vacation today :P So I can use these switches on a normal board without connecting the jumper, if I understand it correctly. I read the other topic (sorry for not searching thoroughly enough). Is it theoretically possible to make a keyboard that isn't NKRO into an NKRO keyboard by adding diodes? Or is it also limited by the controller?

Findecanor

03 Aug 2012, 21:26

TDub wrote:Is it theoretically possible to make a keyboard that isn't NKRO into an NKRO keyboard by adding diodes? Or is it also limited by the controller?
Limited by the controller.

Return to “Keyboards”