Turning off the Poker's pesky Fn+Space switch

mSSM

06 Aug 2012, 15:53

While working I often find myself accidentally activating the Fn+Space switch, which turns Right_Shift into an up-arrow, moving my cursor up instead of, well, acting as a normal Shift key.

Is there any way to deactivate this switch? I am really at a point where I just want to kill this functionality with fire, because it is totally point- and useless.

longweight
key-bored

06 Aug 2012, 16:03

I too have the same issue and cannot work out if it can be turned off.

God damn Poker.

mSSM

06 Aug 2012, 17:23

Someone needs to make a new controller for this. :D

longweight
key-bored

06 Aug 2012, 20:18

I'm just gonna sell my Poker :D

fossala
Elite +1

06 Aug 2012, 20:22

The problem is the keyboard isn't any good. You have to replace the caps, controller and case to get something close to being good. All that you have left is the pcb and switches. I still can't get why people love these things.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Aug 2012, 20:37

Luckily I have a programmable keyboard so I disabled all key combinations because I kept pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and Ctrl+p... damn all other keyboards. (?)

mSSM

06 Aug 2012, 21:48

fossala wrote:The problem is the keyboard isn't any good. You have to replace the caps, controller and case to get something close to being good. All that you have left is the pcb and switches. I still can't get why people love these things.
You don't have to replace everything necessarily. The problem is, there are no alternatives on the market. The HHKB doesn't count, as its starting price is three times as high and it does not have Cherry MX switches.

fossala
Elite +1

06 Aug 2012, 21:53

mSSM wrote:
fossala wrote:The problem is the keyboard isn't any good. You have to replace the caps, controller and case to get something close to being good. All that you have left is the pcb and switches. I still can't get why people love these things.
You don't have to replace everything necessarily. The problem is, there are no alternatives on the market. The HHKB doesn't count, as its starting price is three times as high and it does not have Cherry MX switches.
By the time you make the keyboard close to the quality of a HHKB (replace keycaps, controller and case). It's around the same price.

JBert

06 Aug 2012, 22:10

It's cheap, it's tiny and it comes with Cherry switches. Not much keyboards have those features at that price point (except clones, but those come with clone switches and "black blob" controllers which can't even be desoldered).

If only the firmware received just a bit more thought...

mSSM

06 Aug 2012, 23:27

fossala wrote:
mSSM wrote:
By the time you make the keyboard close to the quality of a HHKB (replace keycaps, controller and case). It's around the same price.
Replacing keycaps: $35; HHKB keycaps are $78. Exactly why are they so expensive?

Keyboard case: a custom Poker case from Aluminum is $150, in a whole truckload of different anodizings. An HHKB case is from plastic. Not quite a fair comparison, is it? Maybe you should compare an Aluminum HHKB case.

Controller: a keyboard for $300, which does not even have a programmable layer? Sorry, but that has got to be a joke. The Kinesis can do it. Why not the HHKB?

The Poker does not have the same quality as the HHKB. But it certainly isn't the crap you make it out to be. Quite to the contrary - the fact that you are willing to dish out so much money for a keyboard which has a serious lack of features makes me doubt your judgement.

fossala
Elite +1

06 Aug 2012, 23:33

I agree that the HHKB should be programmable, that's why mine is. http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hard ... t3415.html
As for the quality of the poker, everything is poor. The only things that isn't are the switches (even though some of the soldering has been sub-par on some peoples) and the pcb. The poker is as bad as I make out, I know I owned one and sold it because it was that bad.

I'm also curious on how the fact that I have an expensive keyboard makes my judgement less fair? I've tried I huge range of keyboards that probably shadows most others here. It is the worst one I have tried. The ONLY plus side is it's size.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Aug 2012, 23:39

Drama queen. The Fujitsu "Peerless" FKB4700 is definitely worse.

fossala
Elite +1

06 Aug 2012, 23:42

So is the filco zero (both versions for different reasons). But still the poker is crap.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Aug 2012, 23:49

Good value for money for a mini Cherry MX keyboard made in relatively small quantities. Made to be cheap. It's a generic problem with the Taiwanese suppliers, they are going for the low end of the market populated by gamers. Maybe good for them. But if you want the best quality, their exercise sort of defeats the purpose.

fossala
Elite +1

07 Aug 2012, 08:46

I heard that they where good value for money (cost around $30 over there). But by the time it's got to us, I don't think it is. $100 for a keyboard that has quite a few problems, not good when it's the same price as a leopold.

Return to “Keyboards”