Tipro wedge unit

damorgue

19 Aug 2012, 13:37

I wonder if there is a wedge-shaped part to attach in usual Tipro manner in between their units. That would make for a very decent ergonomic keyboard if one were to attach two Tipro units with a wedge unit to separate them and correct the angle. Staggered and programmable. I have only seen pieces that connect straight and never a blank piece. Is there such a thing?

Djuzuh

19 Aug 2012, 14:21

DIY?

It shouldn't be hard.

Ascaii
The Beard

20 Aug 2012, 12:48

Ive got a bunch of tipro card reader units that can be used to chain tprio boards with each other...if you want to try a diy solution i can send you two.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Aug 2012, 13:17

There are two ways of connecting Tipro keyboards together, but they function differently (explanation taken from a former post in another thread):
  • "extern" connection (module 1 connected to the computer, module 2 connected to the PS/2 port of module 1):
    - only module 1 is recognised by the programming software and can be programmed;
    - modules share NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock: press key on any module, all modules will be affected;
    - modules do not share ShiftToLayerX nor LockToLayerX: each module where these functions are used is affected individually;
    - modules do not share Shift, module 2 will affect module 1 but not the other way round. In other words, the command works towards the computer but not inversely. So Shift+a on any module will deliver A, Shift(module2)+a(module1) will deliver A, but Shift(module1)+a(module2) will have the effect of blocking output as long as Shift is pressed and then delivering a.
  • "intern" connection (module 1and module 2 connected via Tipro bus):
    - all modules are recognised by the programming software and can be programmed;
    - all modules share everything. Shift(any module)+a(any module) will always deliver A. In fact, all modules together act as one keyboard.
So the idea of a split keyboard requires both modules to be connected via Tipro bus, which in its actual form (very short cable connects units joined together side by side) is... incompatible with a split keyboard. It would be necessary to make a longer cable, which on both ends will be connected directly to the dedicated socket on the PCB.

I'd be interested in a solution which allows connecting/disconnecting the units without opening them each time. Thanks for keeping us informed!

Icarium

20 Aug 2012, 14:03

Has anybody tried using a longer cable? Might just work... :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Aug 2012, 14:18

Icarium wrote:Has anybody tried using a longer cable? Might just work... :)
It certainly would.
But the cable is connected on both ends to a small socket sitting directly on the PCB. It normally passes through the plastic piece which joins two units together, so there is no hole provided for it in the casing and of course no strain relief, which could prove a fatal issue.

damorgue

21 Aug 2012, 05:09

I have card reader actually, But I wanted it to be wedgeshaped to create a difference in angle between them. I Tipro block which is wider closer to you and thinner further away. i guess I could cut the card reader, remove a wedge from it and then glue it back together. I think I made myself unclear. When I said wedge, I meant a wedge as seen froma bove, not the general wedge shape that they have when seen from the side. I sort of want it too look like this from above.

Code: Select all

/\
 /  \
/____\

Icarium

21 Aug 2012, 08:59

But why do you want them connected if you could have two parts that you can move separately?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Aug 2012, 10:03

Now I understand what you mean :idea:
No, there is no such triangular joiner.

Quick'n dirty solution:
angle.jpg
angle.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Surger

21 Aug 2012, 20:17

kbdfr wrote:
Icarium wrote:Has anybody tried using a longer cable? Might just work... :)
It certainly would.
But the cable is connected on both ends to a small socket sitting directly on the PCB. It normally passes through the plastic piece which joins two units together, so there is no hole provided for it in the casing and of course no strain relief, which could prove a fatal issue.
This only applies to the older MID models.
The new FREE boards are different. I heard from Tipro that if you order one complete board (with the controller) and one slave (without the controller), the slave comes with an external connection cable to connects the two. It's about 180 cm long, connected through a small MINIDIN connector.

I've also been told that the programming software will see these two modules 'as one', so programming (for example) a SHIFT will affect both.

I've ordered a set of Tipro 64k FREE modules a few weeks ago and should be getting these soon. I'll post some pics once I've set it all up.

damorgue

21 Aug 2012, 21:24

I wish tipro would make a swedge unit, and put a trackball on that wedge. A split keyboard, with angle between the hands and a trackball in the middle. That would be nice. It would ofc also be possible to arrange it so that the trackball is at either end if one wants that, or not use it at all since the system is modular.

Return to “Keyboards”