Interest Check - BEIGE or Gray? ISO Topre / keyboardco

dirge

25 Aug 2012, 12:03

I've been talking to Bruce about the possibility of getting beige ISO Topre board. He's willing to consider beige over the black but would like to know what would be most popular within the community.

So would any ISO layout users please post in here what they'd like to see? 45g/55g/uniform/variable?

Which languages? This will be a new model from Topre, are there any additions (within reason) you'd like to see?

Please please post your opinions. I think it's a very nice thing Bruce is doing, trying to supply what community would like to see.

^ not ISO but use your imagination.
Last edited by dirge on 29 Aug 2012, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

trax

25 Aug 2012, 15:14

Support for MAC.

Robstero

26 Aug 2012, 01:36

Oh, I would take that in a shot. It's all about the biege :) Fwiw, interested in grey too - steely, efficient, clean grey :)

Have not used a Topre board yet - in fact I've not even compared different weights of switches yet, so I'm not sure I'm best placed to comment there.

On fixed vs variable... again, am uninformed on that front. Is fixed better for some sorts of keyboard use and variable for others? Or is it just down to personal preference? On paper, variable looks great and, well, obvious!

Again as an inexperienced person in such matters - variable would certainly give the board a super-interesting feature - something to differentiate it perhaps.

Keyboard co seem like a great company - and stuff like this makes me more likely to deal with them in the future. Good stuff.

javifast

26 Aug 2012, 13:00

I'd love to see a uniform 45 or 55 spanish layout. White and grey of course.

maxrunner

27 Aug 2012, 01:39

Hi. Who's bruce? anyway the http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_deta ... RODUCT=863 website has iso topre's in black i think.

Topre Enthusiast

27 Aug 2012, 10:41

Bruce runs keyboardco and I think the gents in this thread know that there is a black version but they are petitioning for a white one.

dirge

27 Aug 2012, 10:51

Bruce is running low on Topre stock and about to put another order in. I've suggested getting the other colour this time :) he's also had someone from Germany do similar.

As far as I'm aware it'll be the first ISO PBT dyesub in multiple languages.

I think I'd like 45g uniform myself, but hoped a load of people would express interest in buying one if he got them in.

wupi

27 Aug 2012, 20:38

Some replacement spacebars would be nice, because they are ABS. :/

IanM

27 Aug 2012, 21:03

Beige? good lord no, some retro chic is just wrong :)

Uniform 45g or maybe 35g with the silent kit is what I would like, but Bruce wasn't interested in the silent version when I asked about it.

longweight
key-bored

27 Aug 2012, 21:43

55g uniform ANSI for me in beige.

pasph

28 Aug 2012, 11:23

UK (because Italian will never happen) 45g or 55g beige ISO

Robstero

28 Aug 2012, 13:01

IanM - Hehe. It is very possible that retro chic beige is just a little... soon! Maybe Grey is more of a crowd pleaser.

andrewjoy

28 Aug 2012, 19:29

Black case with beige caps iso 45g :)

dirge

28 Aug 2012, 20:50

I shouldn't have screamed beige should I? I guess any light colour board with pbt dyesub caps in region specific would suit me. I just don't like black.keyboards. they always look dirty and dusty.

IanM

28 Aug 2012, 21:42

Given that Topre do different colours for the anniversay keycaps I wonder if it would be possible to get a unique colour for the whole keyboard? Although it's very easy for the wrong shade to make the effect look cheap and tacky, or you get bored of a colour very quickly after the novelty wears off. That's why generally I prefer to stick with black.

Topre Enthusiast

28 Aug 2012, 23:00

What about Retina-burning Green?

Charlie_Brown_MX

29 Aug 2012, 01:24

002 wrote:What about Retina-burning Green?

Oh dear Lord. My favourite color is an eye-gouging green but even I don’t like that keyboard!

On topic: if I had the cash I’d definitely be interested in a uniform, full-size ANSI Realforce. Not sure if I’d prefer 45g or 55g. I use and love Alps currently, and find them about the right weight, so which is closest in terms of activation force?

Topre Enthusiast

29 Aug 2012, 01:32

Depends on the Alps switch I guess but 55g is probably the closest to Alps in general as 55g is the 'snappiest' of the Topre weights.

Icarium

29 Aug 2012, 07:17

002: Nice find. Love it. :)
Can those be bought reasonably easy somewhere? Which switch is it?

Topre Enthusiast

29 Aug 2012, 07:35

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_Realforce_ilovex

Topre - 45g uniform
They are still on amazon.co.jp. Ridiculously expensive though (~300 Euros) :) I love mine

Icarium

29 Aug 2012, 07:42

WTF? Why are they so expensive?

Topre Enthusiast

29 Aug 2012, 07:46

Topre + Limited + Yen exchange = wallet raping

Icarium

29 Aug 2012, 07:50

Painful. :(

Damn, I like those japanese boards. Look so cute with all their fancy symbols. :D

mSSM

29 Aug 2012, 09:59

002 wrote:http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_Realforce_ilovex

Topre - 45g uniform
They are still on amazon.co.jp. Ridiculously expensive though (~300 Euros) :) I love mine
But you didn't order directly from Amazon JP, did you? They don't send to foreign soil, I heard. :D

Topre Enthusiast

29 Aug 2012, 10:46

I did, but I just had them ship it to my tenso address instead.

pcfidelity

29 Aug 2012, 16:51

Grey TKL with 55g uniform would be great. I've got the 45g uniform and it's just a little too easy to accidentally press keys by resting my fingers on it.

Charlie_Brown_MX

29 Aug 2012, 18:33

002 wrote:Depends on the Alps switch I guess but 55g is probably the closest to Alps in general as 55g is the 'snappiest' of the Topre weights.
I use blacks and oranges daily, but have no idea what the weight-rating on them is. Thanks for the input — I suspected the heavier switch would be the one to go for. It’s just a shame they don’t do the HHKB in 55g as well.

fossala
Elite +1

29 Aug 2012, 18:44

koralatov wrote:
002 wrote:Depends on the Alps switch I guess but 55g is probably the closest to Alps in general as 55g is the 'snappiest' of the Topre weights.
I use blacks and oranges daily, but have no idea what the weight-rating on them is. Thanks for the input — I suspected the heavier switch would be the one to go for. It’s just a shame they don’t do the HHKB in 55g as well.
A hhkb switch is far more tactile than a 45g realforce one. Most people's HHKB are measured at 52g~
I love HHKB switches but find the 45g realforce a bit "meh".

Charlie_Brown_MX

29 Aug 2012, 21:45

fossala wrote:A hhkb switch is far more tactile than a 45g realforce one. Most people's HHKB are measured at 52g~
I love HHKB switches but find the 45g realforce a bit "meh".
Good to know. My plan, if I find I like Topres after I try the try-pad from Mr. Interface, is to eventually get a Realforce for work and an HHKB for home. The fact that the HHKB’s keys are closer to 55g than 45g is good news. Now if I can just find £600!

On the subject of HHKBs, how does the Type-S compare to the regular one in terms of feel? Does it feel much different?

dirge

29 Aug 2012, 22:06

I loved 002's topre board he's got on tour, so basically if I can get that or a uniform 45g in (not black) I'll be very happy.

koralatov don't let alps go completely!

Return to “Keyboards”