Should I go for it?

Sinzz

28 Aug 2012, 07:12

Hi guys! New member here. About a few months ago I purchased a Cherry MX Black Ducky Shine Keyboard with Orange LED's and now I can officially say I'm pretty hooked with the feel of my mechanical keyboard. I am looking to purchase another keyboard for my secondary computer at home since I've been transporting my keyboard from home to work a lot because I can't get enough of typing on these keyboards!

I've been looking at more compact keyboards as of late, and I've really taken a liking to the 84 key keyboards out there. I've researched a bit on the KBT Race, the Noppoo Choc Mini, and recently found out out about the Key Cool 84. I really like the looks of these keyboards especially the KBT Race with its "borderless" look but i've also noticed some things that I don't like about the KBT such as transportation problems since i'll basically be carrying it around on my backpack and since it has no borders, I could damage it somehow. And since i'm probably looking into the White with White LEDs, I've also heard some problems with the whole LED's dying after a while of use, something I would NOT be happy about and with no knowledge or tools on soldering I'd rather not have to have to fix it since I'll be dumping money on it already.

The Noppoo Choc Mini looks great and I've only heard good things. Though i honestly am considering a backlit keyboard (I know I know, Backlit keyboards take away from the overall quality and so forth). This is why I've also been looking into the Key Cool 84 with LED back lighting. Only problem is I have heard nothing really on the quality that Key Cool provides, and I don't know anything about their LED history as well. Therefore I am very hesitant to buy.

I also plan to customize my keyboard with keycaps and such since I've been seeing a lot of cool designs. Will probably pick up blank key caps from WASD since those seem to be the most readily available key caps I've seen in my short time researching this stuff. So there's my dillemma. Hopefully you guys can help me make a decision.

Oh, I'll also be getting blue switches since I am really starting to love the way it sounds.

tl;dr KBT RACE, Nopppoo Choc Mini, and Key Cool 84 are thrown into a pit. What are the pros and cons and what should I choose to be my next mechanical keyboard.

really would like white backlit (guess its not a necessity, but would prefer)
going to get Blue switches
will customize with keycaps

Rafen

03 Sep 2012, 12:41

I don't really have any experience with the Key cool 84 but what I have seen its similar to the choc mini. If you want custom keycaps I would stay away from the mini and probably the key cool because they have some odd size keys. I think the race might even have some odd size keys, maybe someone here can clarify this because I don't own one.

I have a poker and had a mini. I love both keyboards and the typing experience was about the same. The reason I got rid of the mini was because I couldn't change all the keycaps since some had some odd sizes.

As for transportation I am also not very sure because I don't take my boards out of my house. I think you could probably just take the pure in the box that it comes in and you will be fine. You might even be able to find a carrying case for the keyboard. Just ask around.

IvanIvanovich

04 Sep 2012, 21:58

If you want to do full set replacment, I would avoid the Race. Race has 1.5 top row keys that are very hard to find replacement. In regards to Choc mini / Keycool 84 it is not so bad anymore as many groupbuys are accomodate the 1.75 shift and 1.5/1x bottom row which was one of the big problems in past. Of course if you want to use vintage Cherry keycap it was never a problem. The spacebar on those will still be a problem though as it is even shorter than 6 unit which is the smallest common size, so be prepared to get stuck with the stock one if you choose either of those.
Any reason you don't consider the Pure? It would be my reccomendation for mini board with backlight. It has the most standard keysizes too so would be zero issues in that area.

blighty

04 Sep 2012, 22:58

keycool mini84
keycool mini84
kcm84.2.gif (135.2 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
I really dig my Keycool mini84 (black w/black switches). The left-side modifiers are standard 1.25 sized, the right side has a 1.75 shift and 1 unit-sized mods (alt,fn,ctl). The space bar can be swapped with a filco-compatible once you get a wider stabilizer (WASD sells them) and move the stabilizer mounts. I currently have mostly filco ninja caps with o-rings on mine besides some relegendables on the function keys (will eventually label the second layer media keys), a few random sideprint red keys, and 4 blank keys from WASD to fit the 1 unit and 1.75 unit mods (R4 will eventually recap the board). Transport-wise, I stick the board in my backpack with no problems. The detachable usb cord is a bonus in that situation.

IvanIvanovich

04 Sep 2012, 23:54

Ooops, most of my comments were directed towards the Choc, forgot the Keycool one was a little more standard. I was thinking it was more like Choc, just a rebrand type deal like the 87.

Sinzz

17 Sep 2012, 01:38

Whoops, haven't been back to this forum in a bit due to some work stuff. But in the end I did manage to get the Keycool 84 with blue switches and boy do I love it! I will have to say that it sucks that it has some difficult to find key caps... :( I must say though Blighty, your kc84 is looking mighty nice. May I ask where you got those clear top key caps? Here is what my kc84 looks like right now with Keycool rainbow key caps. Looking to find some white or dark grey keycaps for modifier keys and such. [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347838622.716900.jpg[/attachment

And the reason I didn't opt for the pure was the many LED issues I was hearing about them.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347838622.716900.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347838622.716900.jpg (189.01 KiB) Viewed 4640 times

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

17 Sep 2012, 01:51

blighty wrote:Image
Are those the relegendables I sold you? They look pretty good in that half outline scheme.

blighty

17 Sep 2012, 05:16

The_Ed wrote:
blighty wrote:Image
Are those the relegendables I sold you? They look pretty good in that half outline scheme.
Yes, the relegendables are what I got from you. I like the lower profile of the cherry keys than the filco caps. I still haven't got around to printing out labels. I ditched the kind of ugly red from the KBC sideprinted red caps for the red mods from the SP $18 fire sale. Kind of annoyed that the escape key bottoms out on the switch, even with 2 o-rings, but it's workable.
keycool mini84
keycool mini84
keycool84.ninja.ramod.gif (288.05 KiB) Viewed 4624 times

blighty

17 Sep 2012, 05:34

Sinzz wrote: And the reason I didn't opt for the pure was the many LED issues I was hearing about them.
Wow, that is bright. I think that would distract me. It looks like the legends on the stock keys are much more eye pleasing than the one non-backlight board I have (text looked distorted on some of the keys...). Have fun with your search for modifiers. Unless you find a group buy or want to spend a premium at WASD for a custom kit, you'll have to piece a kit together from more than one board (MX/MY1800 for the 1u mods + an MX board with 1.25u mods).

Sinzz

17 Sep 2012, 11:53

Yeah. I know modifier keys are going to seriously be a pain to find. :( any clue as to where I could easily find them in different colors as a Keycool 84 user to another?

blighty

17 Sep 2012, 16:17

Sinzz wrote:Yeah. I know modifier keys are going to seriously be a pain to find. :( any clue as to where I could easily find them in different colors as a Keycool 84 user to another?
WASD would be your best bet for a one stop shop. They'll laser your legends on the cap colour of your choice. Since i ninja'd the board, i cheaped it out by ordering blank caps for the right side mods. probably want to order a spacebar stabilizer wire too, if you want to swap in a filco compatible space bar at some point.
Edit: oh, you have swapped the bar. One thing to note if using SP caps is the keycool stabilizer mounts fall out unless you use plastic to wedge or glue them in.

Sinzz

20 Sep 2012, 10:11

I did not swap out the stabilizers for the spacebars actually. I haven't touched anything internal. I currently have no problems with compatibility issues regarding the space bar, The keycaps that I got for my Ducky actually also work with my spacebar. Unless you mean it wont work with WASD's spacaebars, then that will probably be a problem later on when i start designing my keyboard more.

Return to “Keyboards”