mechanical keyboard for ipad?

Sidereal

31 Aug 2012, 08:33

So, I recently got Final Draft for the iPad, which now has me interested in finding a mechanical keyboard that works with the iPad (2) without having to jailbreak it. I've seen some bluetooth mechanical keyboards, namely from xArmor but I'm not sure if they're compatible with an iPad or if they're any good at all. Does anyone have a review of it or any other wireless mechanical keyboard, pros and cons, etc?

andrewjoy

31 Aug 2012, 10:09

I know at one point you could use the cammera attachment for the iPad 1 ( on any iOS device)to plug in a USB keyboard but i have not got it working since iOS5 gave an error but worked fine before this, not sure if you could possibly mod the adaptor or the keyboard to trick the iPad into thinking its an official keyboard

Mrinterface

31 Aug 2012, 10:42

Sidereal

31 Aug 2012, 13:01

Dude, I saw this on Youtube, Mrinterface! I guess my main concern is that my iPad is a 2, not a 3. Also, I'm really wary about "tricking" or "fooling" the iPad into thinking the keyboard is legit if it's not. Isn't there a mechanical keyboard that caters specifically to tablets and the iPad in particular?

Also, good luck with the science fiction novel! I'm taking screenplay writing in university myself.

Also, love iAWriter.

nathanscribe

31 Aug 2012, 15:34

I've not yet tried iAWriter, but a freebie I do use occasionally on my desktop is Focuswriter. I've installed it on my Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian). Works just fine.

If you're interested in light, portable, simple writing kit, you could worse than grab an Alphasmart. I've got a Neo2, which is the current model - maybe overpriced for what they are, but they're great for distraction-free writing. Older versions (AS 3000 is USB, Pro & 2000 are PS/2 & ADB, original was ADB only) can be had for just a few notes on eBay etc. My brief review here.

I often consider getting an iPad - those all-in-one wallet/keyboard things look like they might die quickly though!

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

31 Aug 2012, 21:00

nathanscribe

31 Aug 2012, 21:05

I'd have thought a Poker would be better for portability.

andrewjoy

31 Aug 2012, 21:37

How are you guys getting that working with the latest iOS i can get nothing to work on mine now

rms

09 Sep 2012, 05:05

Trent

09 Sep 2012, 06:36

I use my IBM SSK specifically for the iPad 2. Some PS/2 -> USB adapters work with the camera adapters, some do not. You'll just have to get one and hope that it works, I've found $30 adapters that don't work and $5 that do so just purchase one on newegg or something and hope that it works!

Gilgam

10 Sep 2012, 10:29

spoiler I wanted to write a full article on this... ;-) /spoiler
i tested a new ipad 3 with camera connectors and it works with cherry 1800/raptor k1/unicomp/realforce
with blue cube ps2_usb Ibm SSK, g80-1000,1500,3000 works, compaq 11800 : OK

hhkb needs more work with special usb hub, Y cable usb ans external power. and it works :-)

I hope this helps

RougeRambo

10 Sep 2012, 11:56

pro tip, buy something with USB ports and not made by apple, problem solved.
*puts flame suit on*

in other news whos hyped for the microsoft surface PRO, if its done right, this thing could be a fucking beast...i5 and gaming capabilities in tablet form. they even have an optional keyboard attachment with moving keys rather than touch keys. oh and it has usb 3.0 ports...

Gilgam

11 Sep 2012, 08:34

The ipad is a golden jail. Very nice tablet, the nicest hardware, but deeply wired to apple. Nonetheless some want to use their keyboard with (i am one of them), and for now it works ...

Sidereal

11 Sep 2012, 12:22

Don't think I'm going to risk alienating my iPad for now. Maybe down the road. I'd love to have an HHKB for it. Gilgam, could you expound on how you got it to work?

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Gilgam

12 Sep 2012, 10:06

There is a nice post there http://beastwith.in/2012/05/17/usiung-p ... oard-ipad/

You need
An iPad :-)
a camera connector
a Dr bott usb hub
a Y usb cabble (two USB and a mini usb)
a usb battery (home made or bought one)
a HHKB

iPad - camera connector - usb hub - Y cable - battery on a usb plug and HHKB on the mini usb
It's a little bit over complicated
BUT
it works :-)
bad lighting photo from n9
bad lighting photo from n9
12090014.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 6508 times

phetto
Elite

12 Sep 2012, 12:10

Doesnt the filco Bluetooth work with iPad?

Burz

13 Sep 2012, 14:00

http://www.matias.ca/onekeyboard/tactile/

Matias Tactile One keyboard for iPhone, says it also works with iPads and newer iPods (and computers and other bluetooth devices). It is a slightly redesigned Tactile Pro 3 using Alps white switches. The Tactile Pro 4 with Matias-redesigned switches is supposed to be released this month.

They have their own subforum now on Geekhack.

bhtooefr

13 Sep 2012, 14:22

The problem with the Tactile Pro 3 is that the switches are wobbly as hell.

Findecanor

14 Sep 2012, 21:11

Matias' One keyboard line uses Bluetooth. BTW, the Tactile Prop 4 was supposed to have been announced now, but has been delayed.

Return to “Keyboards”