What switch is this?

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Sep 2012, 16:25

It came on a "PC Partners by Leading Technology, Inc" that I scrounged off a junk pile yesterday.

I can't find it shown anywhere, it has a nice clicky feel and a few dead switches (~5).

Trying to decide whether to try to fix it, or harvest the keys and toss it. I don't need another project, but this has me interested.
Attachments
what01 (Large).jpg
what01 (Large).jpg (533.92 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

IvanIvanovich

11 Sep 2012, 18:17

No markings on the housing at all? It looks familiar but I can't remember the name of it. I want to say MEI but I don't know if thats right.

Icarium

11 Sep 2012, 18:20

As mentioned on GH it looks like Futabas to me. But the case is different.

Daemon Raccoon

11 Sep 2012, 18:40

SMK Whites (non-vintage).

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Sep 2012, 18:48

Great, thank you.

I like clicky tactile and would need to swap 5 keys around to make it useable.

Are these considered desirable switches, and therefore is it worth the time and effort with the soldering iron?

Daemon Raccoon

11 Sep 2012, 18:50

If you like them, I'd consider it worth it. :)

Icarium

11 Sep 2012, 18:56

I've never ever seen anybody ask for them so I wouldn't say they're desirable in the sense that you could sell them. I doubt that anybody has tried them, though. :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Sep 2012, 19:11

When I got the board it was broken (L was pulled up from the PCB). I clicked it a bit, unplugged, and it seemed OK.

I took it apart and pulled the keys. Miraculously, a one-move re-soldering of the broken contact fixed the L switch.

I clipped on a ground wire and plugged it in naked, with no keycaps, and tested it. I found that there were 5 dead switches.

I, numpad 3, numpad 9, =+, [{, and Print Screen

Some time spent with the soldering iron could move enough switches around to make it useable for me. I just need to decide whether I want to spend the time and energy on it.

These are the type of switches that I normally prefer, and I have never had them before, so I may do it.

Does anybody know whether they will interchange with anything else, and/or does anybody have 5 spares?

thanks, Harry

bhtooefr

11 Sep 2012, 19:26

If you can find a Laser keyboard (usually has an AT plug), it uses the same switches typically.

I've liked them when I used them, although they're way too easy to bottom out.

IvanIvanovich

11 Sep 2012, 19:48

Oh, I knew it was something with three letters name.

Findecanor

11 Sep 2012, 20:22

Yep, the housing looks like SMK. Is there no plate to stabilize the switches?

bhtooefr

12 Sep 2012, 04:14

The Laser keyboards I've had look a lot like that, and, no, it's PCB mount on a really thin and flexy PCB.

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Sep 2012, 22:19

I must admit these are my favorite switch and I much prefer them to Cherry blues. I had a Laser keyboard, which unfortunately was defective so I couldnt use the board, and have been searching since to find a working one. Definitely a fun switch to have and try.

Icarium

13 Sep 2012, 23:32

Do you still have it? :)

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Sep 2012, 15:34

Im sending it to MrInterface for the next iteration switch try bags.

domin8r

17 Sep 2012, 13:27

I have a donor board so I can send you spares if you'd like :)

Switches are compatible with MX keycaps by the way, makes it a bit more interesting IMHO

Ascaii
The Beard

18 Sep 2012, 18:49

Yep, I love the switch, but am not going to attempt to repair my board...MrInterface needed the switch anyways.

One interesting fact about the Laser PCB...it is prepared for an extra 5 switches between arrow keys and the block of keys above it, theoretically allowing a full 3x5 matrix if you modify the case and solder in the switches.

Once I finish my bachelors thesis and find a little time in my life I will try to find myself an SMK board and modify it to my personal preference...mainly removing the big ass enter and replacing it with an iso enter.

Return to “Keyboards”