G80-2551 configuring extra keys in linux

Gilgam

03 Oct 2012, 22:45

Hello,
As a proud owner of a g80-2551 (terminal type keyboard from cherry) i want t use it as my daily driver.
But On my homework machine i use Linx (Ubuntu/debian and some exotic things).
I'm a noob in configuring special keys, i tried keytouch editor, but failed.

The keyboard shortcuts config in Ubuntu is fine for some keys, but some don't answer (f16-F24 and some keys on the left).

Should i dive in xmodmap and so on ?

Thanks

Gilgam

Icarium

03 Oct 2012, 22:56

I tend to just edit the keyboard layout files for X, seems to give more reliable results.

Gilgam

03 Oct 2012, 23:09

Icarium wrote:I tend to just edit the keyboard layout files for X, seems to give more reliable results.
Erh, and what does it means ?
Can i assign some actions to a keypress ?

I'm really quite a noob ;-)

7bit

03 Oct 2012, 23:27

The 4 extra keys around the cursor keys are sending NULL+ something else (I had forgotten if it is A-D or 1-4). Nevertheless, it was not possible for me to map these keys to something useful. I think the best solution is to connect these to a modifier key, so they can be remapped or just use the Teensy you got along with your Phantom. :-(

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Oct 2012, 07:09

What about using a G80-2100 instead?

As the 24 extra keys are programmable, at least that issue should be resolved.
And the keys on the left are F1-F10.

Gilgam

04 Oct 2012, 10:51

7bit wrote:The 4 extra keys around the cursor keys are sending NULL+ something else (I had forgotten if it is A-D or 1-4). Nevertheless, it was not possible for me to map these keys to something useful. I think the best solution is to connect these to a modifier key, so they can be remapped or just use the Teensy you got along with your Phantom. :-(
I've got two indeed :-)
But way too complicated by now.

the 4 keys around cursor keys end me some & é and other characters ....
But i can't assign some shortcuts to the f14-24 and most of the left block keys :cry:

Gilgam

04 Oct 2012, 10:52

kbdfr wrote:What about using a G80-2100 instead?

As the 24 extra keys are programmable, at least that issue should be resolved.
And the keys on the left are F1-F10.
that will be fine, do you want to make an exchange ? :mrgreen:

I think that one is quite rare...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Oct 2012, 12:37

Gilgam wrote:
kbdfr wrote:What about using a G80-2100 instead? […]
that will be fine, do you want to make an exchange ? :mrgreen:

I think that one is quite rare...
Sorry, not interested in such a trade, as I already have a useless G80-2551 :lol:
What else would you offer in exchange for a French G80-2100?
I would also accept cash, by the way :mrgreen:

RC-1140

04 Oct 2012, 12:47

The problem about remapping a G80-2551 is, that some keys are sending scancodes, which are not being translated into keycodes. (Scancodes are what the kernel sees, keycodes are what X makes from that.) Because of that a xmodmap file is no use. But you can use either the setkeycode command (I'm not sure if this is the correct name) to assign keycodes to the scancodes, or you can create a udev keymap. The latter is a cleaner solution, as you can create such a rule that only applies to this one keyboard. If you google for Linux remap scancode keycode you will probably find a little bit more about this, it's been a while since I last did something like that.

Gilgam

04 Oct 2012, 22:41

RC-1140 wrote: or you can create a udev keymap. The latter is a cleaner solution, as you can create such a rule that only applies to this one keyboard. If you google for Linux remap scancode keycode you will probably find a little bit more about this, it's been a while since I last did something like that.

That a nice way to do indeed. Thanks i'll try to do this .

Thanks.

@Kbdfr
How much for a G80-2100, if i remember well they must be quite expensive.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Oct 2012, 05:46

Gilgam wrote:[…] @Kbdfr
How much for a G80-2100, if i remember well they must be quite expensive.
Not quite sure, to be honest. I'll have a thorough look at the condition and drop you a PM then.

Gilgam

07 Oct 2012, 22:18

RC-1140 wrote:The problem about remapping a G80-2551 is, that some keys are sending scancodes, which are not being translated into keycodes. (Scancodes are what the kernel sees, keycodes are what X makes from that.) Because of that a xmodmap file is no use. But you can use either the setkeycode command (I'm not sure if this is the correct name) to assign keycodes to the scancodes, or you can create a udev keymap. The latter is a cleaner solution, as you can create such a rule that only applies to this one keyboard. If you google for Linux remap scancode keycode you will probably find a little bit more about this, it's been a while since I last did something like that.

Thank a lot that helps me a lot on the long road to use my terminal keyboard :-)

i found some Arch linux wiki
keymaps for specific keyboards are in

Code: Select all

/lib/udev/keymaps/
First find your keyboard with the

/lib/udev/findkeyboards
command,

enkidu@Asgard:~$ /lib/udev/findkeyboards
USB keyboard: input/event4
USB keyboard: input/event6
USB keyboard: input/event8
AT keyboard: input/event2

i (only :mrgreen: ) have three keyboards connected -and a mouse with some buttons-, i picked the AT one, then type

enkidu@Asgard:~$ sudo /lib/udev/keymap -i input/event2
and each keypress gives you a scancode and a keycode is one is associated with.
So i can get the scancodes of unrecognized keypress by the kernel.

Next episode : get the full list of keycodes and how one keypress can simulate two or more keypress, then create the keymap.

Stay online :-)

RC-1140

07 Oct 2012, 22:28

glad my post helped you! By the way I really like your hostname… I'm typing this from my notebook which is called bifrost, my server is called midgard, my android is called ratatoeskr, and my Raspberry Pi has the hostname brokkr… Norse Mythology FTW!

I don't know exactly if it helps you, I'm currently away from my terminal boards, so I can't say if the scancodes are identical, but I got all the scancodes of my G80-2551 under windows in the "Remapping a G80-2551" thread in the workshop section.

Here it is: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/rema ... t2018.html

Gilgam

08 Oct 2012, 22:18

Asgard, main computer, Niflheim, powerbook, Svartaflheim, MacbookPro, Midgard, Dell L6400, Win XP, Helheim :-), and NAS, Yggdrasil.
Quite Norse Mytho oriented indeed :-)

Thanks for the link :-)

Vierax

08 Oct 2012, 22:42

Gilgam wrote: Win XP, Helheim
ROFL I love it !

RC-1140

08 Oct 2012, 22:50

I'm still looking for a usage for the name Ginnungagap… Would be suitable for a Windows Machine as well…

Are you in some way related to the Norse mythology?

And to get btt: I hope the scancodes are the same under Linux. As I said, I can not verify that atm.

Gilgam

11 Oct 2012, 16:24

RC-1140 wrote:I'm still looking for a usage for the name Ginnungagap… Would be suitable for a Windows Machine as well…

Are you in some way related to the Norse mythology?
I am Loki, but SSSHHHHHTTT it's a secret.
:mrgreen:

Not at all, but quite fond of history and myths. I must have, as most french people do, some viking's blood from 500-900's invasions, but i'm afraid it won't be enough to justify it...
RC-1140 wrote:And to get btt: I hope the scancodes are the same under Linux. As I said, I can not verify that atm.
I have to find a moment to test all that stuff, i've found many articles, but none as complete as i would have like to. So once i succeed, i'll publish in the wiki or the workshop area, and post a link here. For the moment i can get scancodes of each keypress, i know some keycodes and i know how to create a new keymap in /lib/udev/ .
It's like a recipe, i have the ingredients, just have to mix them.
Wait for the g80-2551 sauce mornay :mrgreen:

Return to “Keyboards”