DataHand progress...

csirac2

07 Oct 2012, 07:33

I bought http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t3578.html, which is a Personal II.

Initially all it did was move my problems around slightly. I suspect because the palmrests are too small (the thinnest type), and I could never quite relax my fingers much without activating home/north row buttons. The best I could manage was keeping the laplander on my lap angled down quite substantially.

So I mounted them onto my chair, inspired by this guy: Image. This has proved remarkably successful and I'm sticking with it: can relax completely and just move my fingers.

Having my arms constantly in this poistion is a little weird, but not so bad if I pick them up and make a point of stretching them every hour. But something bizzarre has happened: it seems in this new arrangement, I'm not blinking as often as I should...

In any case, this unit has had some issues with the top row of keys. I couldn't get above 40 WPM as hard as I tried. I feel as if this is an older specimen, and it needs new magnets... The travel and force required to activate the keys (and return force) was desperately incosistent. Especially the north row keys, which have been filed back apparently to avoid the stop limit and allows extra travel north.

This extra travel ruined it for me: don't know if it's just because the travel isn't consistent with the other keys, or that there's no tactile feedback anywhere near the activation point, but I spent an afteroon strengthening the north row magnets and restoring the stop-limit to coincide with the activation point somewhat by cutting and filing back some small rare-earth magnets on the backs of all the north row keys.

Now, the north row are a little too strong but I find it much preferable to the lack of tactile feedback and frequent failure to return properly, especially double-tapping sequences...

After doing this I quickly got up to 60WPM by the end of the next day; mostly because I could use more force with less accuracy without accidentally activating nearby keys. Especially with roll-over type sequences in words like quick, perth, were, etc.

So: do the strength of the magnets change with age? Or is it just that the steel they're sticking to is somehow magnetizing in an unhelpful way...

I do need to investigate a niggling issue where the space thumb-key doesn't always activate, and sometimes I need to unplug & replug my USB adapter in order to access the question-mark symbol (shift key and / key work separately, but it refuses to five me a ? when / is shifted!).

Overall I'm incredibly happy I found this thing, it's quite comfortable to type on. Especially if I mix my day up (Eg. reading/researching with my tablet) so I'm looking out for a few spares, even though I'm probably months away from a achieving a comfortable 80 WPM (my normal rythm is about 90 WPM).

Return to “Keyboards”