Active USB > PS/2 adaptor?

MMTE

07 Oct 2012, 19:16

I'm going to assume that anyone replying knows what this is, and will recommend a good one :-)

Just to be clear, this is for connecting a USB keyboard to a computer's PS/2 port.

damorgue

07 Oct 2012, 19:27

MMTE wrote:I'm going to assume that anyone replying knows what this is, and will recommend a good one :-)

Just to be clear, this is for connecting a USB keyboard to a computer's PS/2 port.
Are you sure you didn't mean the other way around?

MMTE

07 Oct 2012, 19:32

damorgue wrote:Are you sure you didn't mean the other way around?
Oh come on, really? I even spelled it out. I'm putting this down to trolling.

I'll explain why I want this after. I don't want to detract from the point of the thread, which is to find one.

Cobertt

07 Oct 2012, 20:02

MMTE

07 Oct 2012, 20:05

No, that's passive. I mean active. Something that actually converts between the protocols. Like the Blue Cube but the other way round.

forcefollow

07 Oct 2012, 21:10

or rather, like this?

Gilgam

07 Oct 2012, 21:40

forcefollow wrote:or rather, like this?
Nope
Usb female > Male PS/2

JBert

07 Oct 2012, 22:21

I think you won't find this in a shop. Most people don't want to convert modern hardware to a "legacy" port, so there will probably be no "inverse blue cube" around. You will likely have to make it yourself from the Arduino USB-host shields discussed some time ago, or ask a controller wiz to do it for you.

I'm still curious what you want it for... Can't you simply buy a keyboard with a PS/2 port or did you somehow grab a crazy expensive PS/2-only KVM switch for a small price?

EDIT: I meant PS/2 KVM but got confused.
Last edited by JBert on 08 Oct 2012, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

IvanIvanovich

07 Oct 2012, 23:27

I was wondering the same thing. There are tons of ps/2 keyboards around for really cheap. Or unless the pc is so old it dosen't even have pci slots, you could just simply buy a usb card. What's next, usb to xt converter? :roll:

Gilgam

08 Oct 2012, 11:25

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: USB -> adb

bhtooefr

08 Oct 2012, 11:54

PS/2 to ADB exists, so this thread would meet that goal.

(The Power/Reset key is on the converter in that case. Belkin made it so you could use a Mac with one of their KVMs. No reason you couldn't design a modern converter around a keyboard that has an extra key for power or sleep or something, though, and interpret that as the scancode for the Power/Reset key.)

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Oct 2012, 22:40

I found a PS/2 to PC/AT adapter earlier at work :)

JBert

09 Oct 2012, 21:53

bhtooefr wrote:PS/2 to ADB exists, so this thread would meet that goal.

(The Power/Reset key is on the converter in that case. Belkin made it so you could use a Mac with one of their KVMs. ...)
That's different though, they were shooting for cross-platform support when both PS/2 and ADB were readily available... Here we are talking about taking a modern device to use on old hardware, when you could actually use old keyboards / KVM switches all the way. I still don't think an off-the-shelf product exists.

Soarer

09 Oct 2012, 22:36

I've never seen such a thing.

If one did exist it would probably be expensive.

So... why? :)

Return to “Keyboards”