Ducky 1087 Lasered right?

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 20:28

I got told that ducky 1087 is pad printed but i am verrryyy shure it is laser it has a feel as it is uprised a bit. and it looks like this key, stolen from GH wiki :) Image
my key look like this: not the greatest pic 2 megpixel

As i know ducky pad printing and it is horrible, the alt winlock and numlock are pad printed and BLURAAGH,
And the site + seller says mine is lasered, but why does everybody say it was pad printed?

Last edited by runeazn on 24 Mar 2011, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

itlnstln

24 Mar 2011, 20:38

It's hard to tell from the pics I found, but the Ducky I have (9008 w/PBT caps) are lasered with a pad-printed legend over it. The black-on-black and white-on-white keys were pad-printed, but it's hard to tell on the white on black 'boards. The process used on my 'board looks a lot like just pad-printing; you would need a magnifying glass to tell. In my case, they "burned" cap, then printed a legend over it. It looks nice as first, but over time, some of the pad printing will wear off and the ink that was embedded in the burned area will remain leaving a "dirty" look.

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 20:39

those pcitures are with uhmm i think 2x magnifying glass or was it 5x?

thats why it looks dirty :P

itlnstln

24 Mar 2011, 20:42

The one from the GH wiki is a Cherry cap which is laser-etched then filled in with paint/resin/whatever. The "dirty" appearance I am talking about is wear of the legend itself.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Mar 2011, 20:43

Looks lasered to me on your pics too

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 20:50

I GOT 3xxx x 1XXX res :)
ill uplaod them bitte warten ein Augenblick.

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 20:55

uploaded :)

ducky pad prinint ala newb : Image

ntocie the winlock?

then NOTICE THOSE BLACK LINES :roll:

ripster

24 Mar 2011, 21:21

Looks to me like Ducky mixed pad printed and lasered. Now THAT is tacky.

Makes the Noppoo look good.

Just added this pic to the "Lasered versus Pad Printed Wiki".

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 21:41

well only for 3 keys all keys that are blue are pad
alt,winlock, num lock

itlnstln

24 Mar 2011, 21:49

As good as the 9000 and 9008 are, the 1087 was really a disaster. Good thing it got scrapped and is being redesigned. It looks like Ducky has two quality tiers: 100x and 900x. The 100x is the "value" tier where the 900x models are higher-end. The 100x have the goofy, blue pad-printing on the lock keys and such. Unfortunately, there is no 900x series tenkeyless 'boards, so I think that's where all the "Sucky Ducky" comments originated (the tenkeyless 'boards all the GHers bought are 100x series). The 900x-series owners seem to really like theirs, and I haven't seen any complaints of quality, while the 100x series owners have have had problems. It seems like Ducky's biggest mistake is that they do not have a 900x series tenkeyless. Since the big rush awhile back resulted in a bunch of GHers getting cheap tenkeyless Duckys, their current reputation stemmed from that.

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 22:07

mine is great,,
no problems.. at all..

everything if constructed perfectly and fine..
except of that there are 3 screw holes and 2 are actually useable..

i might got a lucky sample :P
yeah i got the ENG sample????

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Mar 2011, 22:15

itlnstln wrote:The 100x is the "value" tier where the 900x models are higher-end. The 100x have the goofy, blue pad-printing on the lock keys and such. Unfortunately, there is no 900x series tenkeyless 'boards, so I think that's where all the "Sucky Ducky" comments originated (the tenkeyless 'boards all the GHers bought are 100x series).
Probably has to do with the OEM. I believe the fullsized ones are made by Costar, while the tenkeyless ones are made by Datacomp. Costar is not allowed to make any non Filco branded tenkeyless boards, so it would make sense too.

runeazn

24 Mar 2011, 22:19

i opened up the keyboard :)
and i made some pics
i really cant find any issue with this keyboard except the 3 screwholes which only 2 can be used..

keyboardlover

25 Mar 2011, 00:19

runeazn wrote:except the 3 screwholes which only 2 can be used..
Sounds like my girlfriend, rofl

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Mar 2011, 00:21

keyboardlover wrote:
runeazn wrote:except the 3 screwholes which only 2 can be used..
Sounds like my girlfriend, rofl
Glad someone else took the worst pun award this time :D

runeazn

25 Mar 2011, 00:46

omgawd :D

still posting O_o

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Mar 2011, 00:55

Roll of toilet paper on your bed? don't be fapping too hard :D

And yeah, its an okay quality board, but you can already see one of the mentioned issues in your pics. The plastic piece between ESC and F1 that covers the mini USB plug is uneven.

itlnstln

25 Mar 2011, 14:42

sixty wrote:
itlnstln wrote:The 100x is the "value" tier where the 900x models are higher-end. The 100x have the goofy, blue pad-printing on the lock keys and such. Unfortunately, there is no 900x series tenkeyless 'boards, so I think that's where all the "Sucky Ducky" comments originated (the tenkeyless 'boards all the GHers bought are 100x series).
Probably has to do with the OEM. I believe the fullsized ones are made by Costar, while the tenkeyless ones are made by Datacomp. Costar is not allowed to make any non Filco branded tenkeyless boards, so it would make sense too.

I wonder, then, if all of the 1000-series 'boards might be made by a different OEM in that case, including the 1000-series fullsize 'boards. They all seem to have the same keycaps, casing, etc.

runeazn

25 Mar 2011, 21:07

sixty wrote:Roll of toilet paper on your bed? don't be fapping too hard :D

And yeah, its an okay quality board, but you can already see one of the mentioned issues in your pics. The plastic piece between ESC and F1 that covers the mini USB plug is uneven.
no it's becuz i am sick and yeah, sneeze etc.

and you sure are looking alright its just i had it at 150 degrees but there is no uneveness,
like people on other forums uhum ocn, they have it floating XD.

and srsly i opened and refitted it's maybe even better than before..

Return to “Keyboards”