Cherry Mx Brown vs Clear

LaCap

19 Dec 2012, 17:47

Hi everybody!

I just bought a Vortex KBT Pure with Brown switches.
I would like to know if there is a really difference between the Brown and the Clear?
Because the Brown are really too smooth for me. I'm usually use an Topre HHK.
Is the feeling of the Clear are closer to the Topre tactile sensation?

And a last question :)
Is it possible to easily change the switches on this KBT Pure?

Thanks guys.

LaCap

RC-1140

19 Dec 2012, 17:52

Hi, most of this information can be found already, there are a few threads regarding this topic.

Yes, clear switches have a much more pronounced tactile bump, but have a rather strong spring. Closest to Topres is probably the so called "ErgoClear" mod, in which you combine the springs of browns (or reds or blues, they are practically the same) with the stems of clears. For this you will need a keyboard with clears of course.

To change the switches on your PBT mounted KBT Pure you have two options. Either you solder out only the LEDs (notice the direction in which they were soldered in), and open the switches, to change the brown stems for clear ones,
or you can solder out the complete switches, not only the LEDs, but in this case this would be rather unnecessary, as you have to open the switches anyway to exchange the springs (or stems).

LaCap

20 Dec 2012, 09:08

Thanks RC-1140 I'm gonna check the different possibilities.

spolia_optima

20 Dec 2012, 18:42

Despite both being tactile MX switches, Browns and Clears are worlds apart.
Even comparing different flavors of MX switch can be like apples and oranges...
So, If this is the case, pitting against one another MX switches to Topre is like... comparing an elephant to a... field of petunias?

But I'll try anyway

The way I see it, when it comes to feeling, Topre and Clear MX both have the long, gradual tactile curve. In this way, they're alike.
However, the clears are much heavier than 45g Topres... More in the upper 60s IIRC...?

On the other hand, when it comes to weight, Browns are closer to Topre- they're both light-ish and ergonomic.
However, when it comes to feeling, the browns have basically NO tactility when compared to the Topre.... a world of difference.

tl;dr switch keyboards more than thrice a day and you'll go blind, kid.

RC-1140

20 Dec 2012, 19:07

spolia_optima wrote:Topre and Clear MX both have the long, gradual tactile curve [...] when it comes to weight, Browns are closer to Topre- they're both light-ish and ergonomic.
which is why I recommended Ergoclears. The light spring of browns with the tactility of clears. It's the closest you can get to Topres with MX switches.

spolia_optima

20 Dec 2012, 19:23

RC-1140 wrote:
spolia_optima wrote:Topre and Clear MX both have the long, gradual tactile curve [...] when it comes to weight, Browns are closer to Topre- they're both light-ish and ergonomic.
which is why I recommended Ergoclears. The light spring of browns with the tactility of clears. It's the closest you can get to Topres with MX switches.
I really should whip up a batch of them. Originally I avoided the ergo clear combo b/c all I heard about was the reset problems, etc.
One thing's for sure, Browns really DO need a more prominent sense of the paragraph.

Anyway, If you guys wanna throw some cash in Cherry's direction, I've got 5 bucks down on it.

Return to “Keyboards”