The Oracle Answers

raptorized

12 Aug 2012, 07:51

That's cool. Does the keyboard have a special purpose? ie. checkout counter

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Aug 2012, 08:05

raptorized wrote:That's cool. Does the keyboard have a special purpose? ie. checkout counter
http://devlin.co.uk/keyboards/index.html

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

12 Aug 2012, 23:32

SPooNiTe wrote:Ohh mighty oracle, I am but still having troubles. I do wish for a keyboard with Blue switches, but is is best to settle for browns on the Poker that I do dream of having? Or shall I decline myself the right to have the gorgeous Poker and settle on a fc200r or the new Ducky Shine in a few weeks with those tactile blue switches? Or, yet another option, must I settle for a Pure with Blue switches, but that cannot be made beautiful with Patrick's PBT sets?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: If you are patient, you will buy the Poker when, eventually, one becomes available. If not, you will buy the Pure now, and later the Poker too when, eventually, one becomes available.

The Keyboard Oracle

12 Aug 2012, 23:47

andrewjoy wrote:Oh mighty Oracle,

I am looking for a small programmable matrix possibly about 5 x 5. It needs to be mechanical and would be better with cherry MX ( not blue)
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: There is no 5 x 5 Cherry matrix available, the G80-3700 is the obvious alternative.

The Keyboard Oracle

12 Aug 2012, 23:49

phasebash wrote:Dear Oracle,

I'm a developer who has typed somewhere between 4.0 - 4.5 million lines of code in my time and still uses an Apple mini keyboard. I think I should be using something better don't you think? I spend a lot of time in Vim and IntelliJ (with the vim plugin).

What do you recommend to increase my efficiency and happiness?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Happy Hacking Professional 2.

phasebash

13 Aug 2012, 03:30

The Oracle is most compelling in his reply, thank you o' wise and most gracious one.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Aug 2012, 07:09

The Keyboard Oracle wrote:

I am looking for a small programmable matrix possibly about 5 x 5. It needs to be mechanical and would be better with cherry MX ( not blue)
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: There is no 5 x 5 Cherry matrix available, the G80-3700 is the obvious alternative.
I may humbly add that another alternative would be a Genovation 4x6 or 7x5 matrix keyboard. Cherry MX switches, fully programmable, PS/2 or USB.

Knoughts

14 Aug 2012, 16:34

[][][][]
Last edited by Knoughts on 29 Jan 2016, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

14 Aug 2012, 17:10

kbdfr wrote:

I may humbly add that another alternative would be a Genovation 4x6 or 7x5 matrix keyboard. Cherry MX switches, fully programmable, PS/2 or USB.

that's exactly what i am looking fro thanks

oracle is good too but i think a simple matrix would be easy to mod and that is what i want to do with it

The Keyboard Oracle

15 Aug 2012, 21:21

Knoughts wrote:Oh might oracle! What tenkeyless-keyboard should one get for under a hundred dollars? (Otakus are fine as well!)
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Leopold FC200R.

SPooNiTe

16 Aug 2012, 00:37

Knoughts wrote:Oh might oracle! What tenkeyless-keyboard should one get for under a hundred dollars? (Otakus are fine as well!)
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Leopold FC200R.
But but but the HPE 87....

Knoughts

16 Aug 2012, 07:29

[][][][]

Homing Lasers

16 Aug 2012, 15:03

Knoughts wrote:Leopolds appear to be a good choice! However there are also Filcos, what are the main differences between Filcos and Leopolds?
50 USD. Also stabilizers, edge roundness, cable detach-ability, and classiness.

Knoughts

16 Aug 2012, 16:19

[][][][]

sordna

21 Aug 2012, 09:08

Oh wise Oracle,
do you know of any small mechanical keyboards, preferably backlit, with 5 rows of keys (such the Poker and Pure) that have dedicated arrow keys? Or, described the other way around, something like the RACE or Nopoo Choc mini keyboards, but without the function key row?
I guess I'm looking for a compact mechanical keyboard that has somewhere around 68 keys...

The Keyboard Oracle

21 Aug 2012, 15:11

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The KMAC Mini keyboard.

sordna

21 Aug 2012, 17:46

Nice find, didn't know about the KMAC mini! I see it has 76 keys, and includes function keys on the side. I don't want dedicated function keys at all, and would rather have the keyboard be a little more compact instead. Any other possibilities, under 70 keys ?

The Keyboard Oracle

21 Aug 2012, 23:20

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Oracle provided the closest match. An alternative compromise is the Poker in dedicated arrow key mode.

sordna

22 Aug 2012, 02:04

Oh most wise Oracle, I commend thy sincerity and discernment. Indeed, I shall rely on my old Poker/mx reds for my compact keyboarding needs, until a new breed of 68-key keyboards perhaps emerges. I thank thee once more!

hanshotfirst

26 Aug 2012, 18:15

Illustrious Oracle,

What is this keyboard?!

The Keyboard Oracle

26 Aug 2012, 18:54

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The keyboard for the Siemens Dimension RXL chemical analyser, made by TG3 Electronics.
Spoiler:
(different model shown)

swagpiratex

31 Aug 2012, 07:35

O wise one, I've come to seek your counsel. I've recently acquired a Das Keyboard (Blue) and Filco Multicam (Brown), both in full size configurations, but my wandering eye seeks to add more to my treasures.

I dislike old style models and have acquired a taste for newer designs. Please recommend me a TKL board with brown switches with that would make a nice next addition to my collection. It may or may not adorn nyan cat and rainbow keys to showcase my infinite masculinity.

The Keyboard Oracle

31 Aug 2012, 21:08

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Typenow Solid.

BiscuitGnome

02 Sep 2012, 22:00

O wise elder, I humbly request your judgement. I require an ISO (UK) layout gaming keyboard, with quiet mechanical switches, tenkeyless recommended. I scoured countless scrolls and learnt of an ancient switch known as....topre. The switches looked like everything I ever dreamed of, tough, quiet and nice to type on. But they were cursed, the curse had many names, expensive, pricey, pricey and expensive. Oh great seer, Is there any cheap topre keyboard in our current time? Will such a thing ever exist? And if my search for a cheap topre keyboard is in vain, is there such a thing as a quiet mechanical keyboard that can stand up to the sheer amazingness of topre switches?

The Keyboard Oracle

03 Sep 2012, 00:20

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: You are cursed by nonexistent cheap Topre keyboards, the yen, and the ISO tenkeyless requirement combined. Your best hope is an obscure Topre find on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Alternatively, the Cherry MX Red or Brown switch may be of your liking, providing a path to a wider range of (cheaper) keyboards. You may want to try before you buy.

sordna

05 Sep 2012, 03:32

sordna wrote:Oh most wise Oracle, I commend thy sincerity and discernment. Indeed, I shall rely on my old Poker/mx reds for my compact keyboarding needs, until a new breed of 68-key keyboards perhaps emerges. I thank thee once more!
What do you know, a 67-key keyboard is proposed here ... a compact version of the XTant project.

There is hope!
Attachments
FHacker67key.jpg
FHacker67key.jpg (146.3 KiB) Viewed 5727 times

wsa

06 Sep 2012, 20:49

Oh great and wise Oracle, who is learned in the ways of keyboards, I entreat you to hear my supplication, and supplicate you to entertain my entreaty.

I am a novice to the new ways of mechanical keyboarding, but a follower of the way of programming, and a student of the path of UNIX.

Many hours have I spent coding on quality keyboards with mechanical switches, with the Control key in its Right and Proper place under the left pinky, where it is easily accessed when chording and issuing the holy Escape Sequences. But when quality keyboards fell victim to corporate greed and mass production, the Control key was shrunk, and moved, and inferior keyboards placed a key which is useless in the way of UNIX, in the rightful place of the Control key.

And yet the wonderful, compact designs of Poker, Filco, Leopard, emulate the cheap and lousy keyboards of Corporate Greed, that shun the disciples of the Patriarchs, in placing the almighty Control where the hand must cramp to reach.

And yet, even still, the Happy Hacking keyboard, though wise in its layout, does not possess a switch with the tactile feedback upon which I depend.

So I beg you, oh wise and noble Oracle, does there exist a keyboard with Tactile switches, such as the Buckling Spring or the Cherry MX Blue, which has a Compact Layout, possessing or lacking dedicated arrow and function keys, where the majestic Control key is restored to its place of honor?

The Keyboard Oracle

06 Sep 2012, 21:59

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The KBC Poker has a dip switch to swap the Left Control and Caps Lock locations.

MMTE

06 Sep 2012, 23:50

Oh mighty Orcale, I beseech thee. Should I buy the Majestouch 2 TKL (£95 GBP delivered) or Leopold FC200R ($150 USD delivered)?

I prefer the LEDs on the Leopold, and I like the detachable USB cable, but some say Majestouch 2 is better to type on.

Additionally, is there an equivalent where the editing section (arrow keys etc) is on the left? I'm after Cherry brown switches.

Thank you

Icarium

07 Sep 2012, 09:46

IANAO but there are a lot of opinions on what is best to type on and they vary a lot. If you want the extra bling get the Leopold, otherwise get the cheaper MJ2. There are no keyboards with the editing section on the left. It's a right handed world. :)

Return to “Keyboards”