Got a few keyboards :D

Compgeke

22 Feb 2013, 00:10

Well...after years of owning one IBM Mode M that was missing two keys and half the key caps, I ran across someone with a bunch of IBM keyboards (Model M, F, 3178 terminal, etc) as well as old systems, documentation, and a 3270 PC keyboard controller card.

First thing to do is cleaning, as well as finding a way to test the terminal keyboards (I have two PCs and an XT, testing PC Model Fs is easy). I believe the easiest way to make a Model M/F terminal work is a Teensy 2.0 converter, or so I've heard.

Basically I Need to know if the Teensy 2.0 is the best thing to build off of to test terminal keyboards (I have Model F and Model M that look to use the same plug, and whether or not it's possible to make a 3278 keyboard work with a Teensy 2.0, as I have the tech reference for them.

Here's some of what I have (and yes, I did unstack the keyboards after the picture was taken)
Last edited by Compgeke on 22 Feb 2013, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.

neko2k

22 Feb 2013, 00:12

Ooh, if you've got any Model F 122-keys in there that you want to get rid of, I've been looking for one.

rodtang

22 Feb 2013, 00:18

Well holy fucking fuck, that is a nice haul. A lot of people will hate you for it, unless you sell it to us for a good price ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Feb 2013, 00:18

Wow, great treasure find. Beam spring keyboards in the front!

Mrinterface

22 Feb 2013, 09:25

Great find!

I'll be hoping to match yours this weekend when we go DT beauty hunting in the south of The Netherlands...

If you would happen to have a leg for a Model F to spare, I would be very interested since I need to fix one of mine...

Oh, and if you need instructions for soarers protocol converter, they are here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP896AAs67o

dirge

22 Feb 2013, 09:43

Oh God and I said I wasn't going to buy any boards... put me on the waiting list please :)

mintberryminuscrunch

22 Feb 2013, 09:45

Want!

hoggy

22 Feb 2013, 14:23

Please put me down for a model F!

Parak

22 Feb 2013, 17:15

Generally speaking, the 3178 (the things on the right side) and 3278 (the beam springs in front) are both no go as far as hooking them up to the PC goes, but there's some possibilities of them being usable "eventually". Which means hopefully sometime before the heat death of the universe.

Also, I hope these weren't stored for years just like that. All those worn springs.. and the beam spring boards are particularly prone to dirt contamination if the shield was compromised :(

But yeah, I'd probably be interested in something from that batch as well if you're selling, likely in either a beam spring or a 3178, depending on cost, condition, blah blah.

Compgeke

22 Feb 2013, 21:36

They were stored in a...barn...for about two years before I got them, which is why they're so dusty. They were on shelves so the springs weren't compressed, I just stacked like that to get a picture, a tad easier to count how many of what keyboard. They're now stacked on their front side along a wall, so there aren't any compressed keys, and no chance of breaking the grey tabs on the sides.

First thing I really need to do is clean them, no one I know wants a dusty keyboard.

Aer Fixus

23 Feb 2013, 01:15

Are you selling these? (or giving them away. I won't rule that possibility out.)

I am interested in one of the Model F 122 key terminal style keyboards (the ones on the far left look to be the right model, but without a peek at the bottom of them, I can't tell for sure).

If they are up for grabs *dibs a 122 key F*

[Edit:]
Oh! And yes, Soarer's Teensy adapter should work for all terminal, xt, at and ps2 plugs. The only reason I know of that it would not work is if you wire the Teensy wrong, or the keyboard is not functional in the first place.

[Edit 2:]
The keyboards in front and to the right seem to have a serial-like port. These may not be compatible with Soarer's Teensy adapter, but there may be a converter for them already (or Soarer's converter might be able to be modified with a little bit of effort to work with them). The ones in center, to the left, and far left should all be compatible assuming that they are still functional.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Feb 2013, 21:25

Oh. My. God. What a haul. Sell them all, use the funds to start your own keyboard company, and quit your job.

RC-1140

23 Feb 2013, 21:43

holy frickin fuck. I guess you should put one down for Fossala as well. He's been looking for a Model F for a long time already.

Damn, I want a Beam Spring Board!!!!

Peter

24 Feb 2013, 13:56

RC-1140 wrote: Damn, I want a Beam Spring Board!!!!
I have one and hate it .. because it can't be used for anything !
It just sits there, begging to be typed on :)
I think that thing needs 12V and a lot more than USB-500mA to even power up ..

RC-1140

24 Feb 2013, 16:32

Wouldn't stop me. I love tinkering with stuff like this! And I would love trying Beam Springs one day.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Feb 2013, 16:34

RC-1140 wrote:holy frickin fuck. I guess you should put one down for Fossala as well. He's been looking for a Model F for a long time already.

Damn, I want a Beam Spring Board!!!!
Thanks, yes. If you have a 122key model F I'm interested.

hoggy

24 Feb 2013, 20:30

If it helps, I'm happy to clean one myself...

fossala
Elite +1

24 Feb 2013, 20:31

If you are going to sell more than 1 or 2 to EU guys we should probably get together for the shipping.

Compgeke

25 Feb 2013, 05:06

Well...unless you're close to me then no one will really be getting anything until June, as I'm currently in school all week and get out at three. The problem is the post office closes at three, and isn't open Weekends.

Might have a break in March, not sure yet :L.

mr_a500

04 Mar 2013, 20:22

Oooh... I'd like a 3278 please.

RC-1140

04 Mar 2013, 21:58

If I didn't know how absolutely enormous the shipping cost would be, I would ask for a beam spring board (the ones on the bottom of the pic).

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Mar 2013, 01:08

Compgeke wrote:Well...unless you're close to me then no one will really be getting anything until June, as I'm currently in school all week and get out at three. The problem is the post office closes at three, and isn't open Weekends.

Might have a break in March, not sure yet :L.
I'm flying in! Make room on your couch.

Hamster

05 Mar 2013, 08:49

I'd like a normal(none terminal) model F :D

niftyprose

05 Mar 2013, 12:52

Would kill for a UK or US 84-key model F (probably #6450200, although there are variants). I had one at a crap job about 25 years ago which gave me an original IBM-AT to work on. I've always wished that I'd walked out with it when I left. Make my month! Best, Will / NIftyprose

Icarium

05 Mar 2013, 12:54

The damn Model Fs are pretty common and cheap in the US it is just fucking hard to get them over the pond without doubling the price. :)

niftyprose

05 Mar 2013, 13:00

I know, I know. But you gotta do what you gotta do. A couple of decades freelancing mean that I must be into triple figures on keyboard usage. Have *never* found one I liked as well as the AT. W.

Icarium

05 Mar 2013, 13:31

XT is better. :p ;)

niftyprose

05 Mar 2013, 13:43

How so? I thought it was the same switch.

Icarium

05 Mar 2013, 13:56

Yeah, but both layouts suck. :)

It's hard to say if they were actually different at some point or if the XTs just feel different because they're older. Many people feel a difference, though.

How a switch feels is generally very strongly influenced by the entire board (Plate or PCB mounted, different plastics, ..). It all makes a huge difference that is sadly very hard to measure or classify.

niftyprose

05 Mar 2013, 14:07

Model F! Model F! Wanna Model F!

Return to “Keyboards”