Please help me! Haha.

NeverNude

27 Mar 2013, 06:53

Hi everybody! I'm so sorry to spam up the boards. You guys probably have more important (and relevant) things to discuss but I'm coming from a no-nothing perspective here so I'd greatly appreciate some help! Basically, I am looking to buy my boyfriend a mechanical keyboard for his birthday coming up. I'm excited to do so, but the only thing is I know next to nothing about them. I was wondering if you folks could maybe suggest a starting point or maybe tell me what NOT to get. I'd usually ask him, but I want it to be a total surprise. For example, I was on the WASD site earlier, and I have no idea what sound dampeners do or if laser etching or engraving is better. Clearly, I'm an idiot when it comes to things like this.

-He games on PC
-Is a system admin (lol, I have no idea if this matters or not, just saying he's a tech kind of dude)
-Budget is $300.

I don't know what else I can say, but i'd be happy to provide further information if needed.

Thanks in advanced for anybody who makes suggestions!

Sincerely, Keyboard Challenged.

Topre Enthusiast

27 Mar 2013, 07:30

Well with 300 bucks you can pretty much get whatever you want (with the exception of some exotic keyboards that are generally old/rare).

Perhaps to better answer your question, you could answer some things that might help you pick something he'll appreciate more:

- Does he already use a mechanical keyboard? If so, do you know what brand/model it is? If not, what does he currently use?
- Does he have a compact or fullsize keyboard? (does it have a number pad?)
- Does he usually work in a well lit room or prefers to game in the dark? I take it he can touch-type?
- Is the rest of his machine covered in LEDs, spoilers, 22" rims and other "gamer" type stuff?
- Is a loud keyboard going to be a problem?

Gilgam

27 Mar 2013, 08:13

For 300 $ you can get whatever you want...
- Topre switches like on Realforce keyboards are very nice and you can find some at elitekyboards.
- With cherry switches you can have filco keyboards or those sold at elitekeyboards too Leopold keyboards. I would take black linear cherry switches for a new user.
- And there are the Unicomp keyboards, with very nice switches, quite well built keyboards (not as the Realforces though). These are the less expensive but are very nice too (i got one :-)).

hoggy

27 Mar 2013, 08:43

Filco's are very nice, and cost well under $300. With that budget you should be able to get a tenkeyless (no built in numpad - so it's easier on the right shoulder when mousing), a wrist rest (not everyone's cup of tea) and a number pad - the whole set would make quite a gift. Actually, just a filco by itself is a pretty good gift.

Could you sneak a photo of his setup?

Does he game late into to the night? Some keyboards are quieter than others... and some brands offer backlighting.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Mar 2013, 12:01

I definitely agree with 002, answering those questions will help us a lot. Also, a picture of his rig as hoggy suggested would help as well.

I will add a few from my side:

-What layout does he use? If you can share your state/location we can help you find a good deal locally or a place to order from.
-How much time do you estimate he spends in front of the computer typing? How much is gaming / how much is work?
-Do you want to get one board that he can use for everything: gaming at home and taking to work, or would you consider getting him one for at home (gaming) and one he can take to work? This shouldnt be a problem with a 300$ budget.

macharius

27 Mar 2013, 12:33

With 300€ budget the only valid option I think is a keyboard with Topre switch (Realforce or HHKB)

ne0phyte
Toast.

27 Mar 2013, 12:41

Just because she has that budget doesn't mean she has to buy the most expensive keyboard she can get.

I found it hard enough to decide or rather find out what I want. Deciding that for someone else sounds impossible to me unless you know what kind of switch (tactile, linear, clicky, heavy, light), layout and design/colors he likes :lol:

macharius

27 Mar 2013, 12:53

The classical design can not be beat :)

Seems a 4$ Keyboards :):)

Muirium
µ

27 Mar 2013, 13:52

One of these should do the trick. Can't really go wrong with a Filco.

Or, come with me on a journey through forum-browsing time and desktop space…

The big choices for a first mech keyboard, if you want to get into this, are:

1. Full size or Tenkeyless?

Does more mean more?

Or are you keen on lean?

They get even smaller. I have my eye on one of these:
Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2. Where'd my arrows go?

2. "Normal" printed keys, blank, or backlit?

There's a world of variation to printing keys. (A lot of the discussion around here is about the key caps.) But you get the idea. Most folk expect to see letters on their keyboard.

Though there's something to be said for going without. Nothing like a blank keyboard to put off passers by from playing with your desktop. Besides, we can all type without looking down, right?. (These are printed on the front instead of on top. Best of both worlds, still looks imposing but you're not lost if you can't remember where ^ is.)

Or there's the glow in the dark option. Love it or loathe it.

3. Switch.

And then the part where pictures can't do it justice. Some mechanical keyboards are clicky, some thunk, some CLACK, and others are pretty quiet. This bit really does come down to personal preference. To play it safe, I'd go for a keyboard with Cherry MX brown switches. That's middle of the road, and generally thought pretty good across the board. Topre is also a good option, if your budget is there for spending. Topre switch keyboards are made in Japan and don't come cheap. However, you are buying straight into quality, so it's said.

Conclusion

Honestly, any well built mechanical keyboard is a piece of kit worth having. You can't, in fact, go wrong. The oh so many options, the truly endless details, and of course the gotta catch em all instinct is what keeps us chattering here. Use your intuition and get something that's like what he already goes for in other gear. Flashy or elegant? Big or small? Bright or dark? You'll do right.

(And then you and he will be collecting your fifth mechanical before year end if you don't look out…)

Findecanor

27 Mar 2013, 17:20

002 wrote:- Does he have a compact or fullsize keyboard? (does it have a number pad?)
I would rephrase this to: Does he use the number pad?
In my experience, people either use it extensively or they don't use it at all. A "tenkeyless" keyboard that does not have a number pad is smaller, more ergonomic (because you don't have to reach that far for the mouse) and in my opinion, looks cooler and more professional ... but it would be completely out of the question if he does want a number pad.

As to the question of switch, that is mostly a matter of taste.
Cherry MX Black, MX Red or MX Brown are considered by many to be the best switches for gaming.
Cherry MX Blue is better for typing than gaming in my opinion, but it is also a quite loud switch.
I have read a few posts now and then about guy's girlfriends complaining about the loudness of their keyboards. Do think about yourself a bit also ... ;)

Filco is common around here because it was one of the first of the new breed of mechanical keyboards, a few years ago. Now, there are many more options.
Personally, I would never buy any of the "gamer keyboards" that look over the top, like the Logitech G710, Razer Blackwidow or iOne keyboards. What kind of aesthetic does he prefer? Does he like his gaming gear to be clean and stylish or does looking like a race car? ;)

For myself, I would go for a Ducky G2PRO TLK, if it is available with PBT keys in your country's layout. PBT is a harder plastic than used for most keyboards, and if he is a techie and a man then he should appreciate quality.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Mar 2013, 18:34

Dissenting opinion on this:
Findecanor wrote:A "tenkeyless" keyboard that does not have a number pad […] looks […] more professional
and on this:
[…] if he is […] a man then he should appreciate quality

Questions nobody has asked yet: PC or Mac? Windows or Linux?

Anyway, here is my advice: buy him a cheap used, crappy, dirty, worn out keyboard. If necessary, add some visible dirt (I recommend dirt taken from the dust bag of a vacuum cleaner). Cut the cord. Remove two keycaps.

On his birthday, enjoy him unwrapping the neatly gift-wrapped disgusting thing, quite unsure what he should say, turning it around and then discovering the label you sticked to the bottom.
It should read something like "This is just a sample for the keyboard of your choice."
If you're a woman, you could add: "Like you'll never know what shoes I'm going to buy, how could I know what keyboard you will prefer?"

hoggy

27 Mar 2013, 20:54

kbdfr wrote:
Questions nobody has asked yet: PC or Mac? Windows or Linux?

Anyway, here is my advice: buy him a cheap used, crappy, dirty, worn out keyboard. If necessary, add some visible dirt (I recommend dirt taken from the dust bag of a vacuum cleaner). Cut the cord. Remove two keycaps.
Please don't. We've seen the results when someone tries to get a refund after that sort of thing.

Perhaps the keyboard company will sell you some gift vouchers...

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Mar 2013, 00:14

Word of advice: your budget is $150 per keyboard.

That's $150 for him …and $150 for him … when you promptly swipe his keyboard and have to buy him a replacement.

Return to “Keyboards”