AT Model F with a mushy key

Compgeke

09 Apr 2013, 08:27

While cleaning up an AT Model F I noticed all the keys sound and work properly, except for the S key. When the S key is pressed it's just kind of a mush, with a higher pitched muffled sound rather than the sharp click of all the other keys, I've already ruled out that it's not the key caps, tried two others. It's not a misplaced key cap as 12 or so times of putting it on should've gotten it on.

Is this here a problem with the spring or something below the spring? It sounds like the spring is being mushed down at an angle rather than against the side, but being as this isn't clear I can't tell for sure.

gunnish

09 Apr 2013, 08:48

Have you inspected the spring?

JBert

09 Apr 2013, 09:59

But how did you reseat the keycap?

AT model Fs require a special technique: you need to hold it vertically with the front lip at the top. This way, the spring and hammer will fall down, at which point you can reseat the keycap so that the spring is properly pressed into the keycap's little bump at the top (look into the keycap, there should be a small bump in there).

Krogenar

09 Apr 2013, 14:42

Yeah, I had a similar problem with a Model F. Just hold it upside down at varying angles and attempt to reseat the keycap -- it worked for me. It took quite a few attempts, though, and then it seated properly. Don't give up!

Compgeke

10 Apr 2013, 05:06

Alright, I got the key fixed (I'm typing on the board now), however the space bar is VERY stiff and spongy, which is quite annoying. It also goes down with a "thud" rather than a click. I never removed it, so is this here something else as easily fixable as holding the board upside down?

mintberryminuscrunch

10 Apr 2013, 06:37

Compgeke wrote:Alright, I got the key fixed (I'm typing on the board now), however the space bar is VERY stiff and spongy, which is quite annoying. It also goes down with a "thud" rather than a click. I never removed it, so is this here something else as easily fixable as holding the board upside down?
Don't try removing the space bar. It will break. You need to open the whole thing up, to do that.

JBert

10 Apr 2013, 09:32

Compgeke wrote:Alright, I got the key fixed (I'm typing on the board now), however the space bar is VERY stiff and spongy, which is quite annoying. It also goes down with a "thud" rather than a click. I never removed it, so is this here something else as easily fixable as holding the board upside down?
I think that's its default behaviour.

I once posted an article at GeekHack how you could open up the keyboard and bend the secondary spring underneath, resulting in a far lighter / more pleasant touch. However, opening up and closing the keyboard takes the better part of a day if it's your first time, and keep in mind that it will still go down with a "thunk" instead of a click.

vometia
irritant

10 Apr 2013, 15:50

Krogenar wrote:Yeah, I had a similar problem with a Model F. Just hold it upside down at varying angles and attempt to reseat the keycap -- it worked for me. It took quite a few attempts, though, and then it seated properly. Don't give up!
Oh, thanks for that handy bit of advice! Speaking as a Model M owner here, the same advice seems to apply and it's probably saved me an awful lot of aggravation putting the keyboard back together (it was filthy and needed a good clean; now it's a lot less filthy. Huzzah!)

Krogenar

10 Apr 2013, 21:12

JBert wrote:
I think that's its default behaviour.

I once posted an article at GeekHack how you could open up the keyboard and bend the secondary spring underneath, resulting in a far lighter / more pleasant touch. However, opening up and closing the keyboard takes the better part of a day if it's your first time, and keep in mind that it will still go down with a "thunk" instead of a click.
I have a Model F 122, and the spacebar does sound a bit different from the other keys. I think this may even be by design. It gives the auditory experience of typing some rhythm:

*tika*tika*tika*tika* _THUNK_*tika*tika*tika*tika**tika*tika*tika* _THUNK_ *tika*tika*tika* _THUNK_ *tika*tika*

I've never taken my Model F apart as descriptions of doing it make me think I'd rather tackle the puzzle box from Hellraiser. Sorry, Heckraiser -- forgot this was a family-oriented forum. :D

Compgeke

10 Apr 2013, 21:52

What I mean by the problem though is it feels like someone replaced the spring below it with a sponge, as it takes significantly more force to make it work, whereas the other AT Model Fs I've used don't feel like I have to slam my hand into the key. Normally I can just use a light pressure (like any other keyboard) but this particular one feels like I'm compressing a sponge more than a spring.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

10 Apr 2013, 23:11

Krogenar wrote:I've never taken my Model F apart as descriptions of doing it make me think I'd rather tackle the puzzle box from Hellraiser. Sorry, Heckraiser -- forgot this was a family-oriented forum. :D
The AT is pretty easy to disassemble, as is the 122-key (although I found I needed a hammer to help me separate the plates). The XT is the tough one.

Return to “Keyboards”