Got browns, maybe should have went with clears?

titanaircraft

15 May 2013, 02:19

I've been looking to replace an aging Logitech MX Duo keyboard. It has done me well, but after ten years it needs retired. After doing research on numerous sites, including this one, I made a decision to go with a mechanical brown switch full size keyboard. I lucked out and picked up a Filco Majestouch 2 while it was in stock. I got it, opened the box, and started typing with it. What the...I didn't even plug it into my computer, the browns are just too light for me. I don't know if it is the fact that I have been typing on rubber domes for 20+ years, but they just don't "feel" right. The bump isn't pronouced enough, so I know I would be bottoming out a lot. I know I would probably get used to them, but I just wouldn't type on that keyboard alone. I jump between Dell rubber domes and scissors switches while at work. To get to the point, should I be looking at clears or another switch? Would thicker keycaps or o-ring help the browns?

NYCesquire

15 May 2013, 04:53

If they are too light you should look into the greens for clicky or black for linear. Both are significantly heavier than the browns.

mintberryminuscrunch

15 May 2013, 06:54

With any switch type, first use them for a couple of weeks before dismissing them

domin8r

15 May 2013, 11:16

Yeah first try them for a bit.. sometimes you have to get used to not bottoming out (after using a rubberdome for a while) and "feeling" a bit more.

If you still like the bump to be more pronounced you could try regular clears (bigger bump, slightly heavier spring) or ergo clears (same spring, bigger bump).
I love the ergo clear but it's really a personal thing.

Kurk

15 May 2013, 12:08

Really, what they say ^
Especially with Browns, it takes some time to get used to them and feel the tactile bump. Over time, the bottoming out will also stop.

TDub

15 May 2013, 14:58

I agree but only to a certain extend. I started with blues then browns, reds. Reds felt TERRIBLE the first time I tried them. It did get better overtime but that doesn't necessarily mean they are right for you. I eventually tried ergo clears, panda clears normal clears and blacks. Today I am typing on normal clears (the heaviest of the 3) in my office and I use blacks for gaming (I have even considered trying linear greys next). I will never go back to the lighter blues/browns/reds even if I know I will get used to them bc I know the heavier springs are simply better for me.

ORings really only change bottoming out sound and key travel not weight. Thicker keycaps feel nicer but won't make your switches feel heavier.

In the end we can recommend all we want, it really depends on what you like and figuring that out needs experimentation. I think you should give any switch you are seriously trying out at least 2 weeks of use on a full keyboard. Testing a single switch usually tells you nothing. Of course it is also a question of how much you are willing to spend on finding your perfect switch.

ne0phyte
Toast.

15 May 2013, 15:08

Most people don't believe it, but there is no best or optimal switch for typing/gaming/minesweeper.

All you can do is buy a keyboard, try it for some time (at least a week) and if you don't get along with the keyboard/switches sell it and try another keyboard until you find a switch you really like.

It's like food: while someone can describe the taste and consistency of something you still won't really know what it is like until you try it yourself :P

Muirium
µ

15 May 2013, 15:15

ne0phyte wrote:All you can do is buy a keyboard, try it for some time (at least a week) and if you don't get along with the keyboard/switches sell it and try another keyboard until you find a switch you really like.
Or open it up and mod, or even pull out all the switches and replace them with something you think you might like next. In this case: clears.
It's like food: while someone can describe the taste and consistency of something you still won't really know what it is like until you try it yourself :P
Yes. Just more mod-friendly than your typical restaurant!

Dubsgalore

15 May 2013, 15:21

MX browns were my first switch. Now, 2 switches later, i have arrived at clears and the bump is the bump you dream of when you have browns. it's pretty awesome :)

but don't get down. give browns a few weeks, and if you still arn't digging them, then i would look into clears.

ne0phyte
Toast.

15 May 2013, 15:22

Muirium wrote:
ne0phyte wrote:All you can do is buy a keyboard, try it for some time (at least a week) and if you don't get along with the keyboard/switches sell it and try another keyboard until you find a switch you really like.
Or open it up and mod, or even pull out all the switches and replace them with something you think you might like next. In this case: clears.
Yeah, of course you can mod the switches but that voids the warranty and I think it is much cheaper to sell one keyboard at 5-20% loss and get another.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2013, 15:56

True. But clears are a little harder to get hold of in complete keyboard form than the standard quartet of red, blue, black and brown. I think I'd prefer them to browns, too, but they really restrict your choice when shopping for keyboards.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2013, 16:35

This thread about browns, clears, springs and things might be worth a read. Contains science! Courtesy of Broadmonkey who knows more than I.

titanaircraft

22 May 2013, 18:19

Got my hands on a set of clears. Definitely like them better than the browns. Thanks for everyones input.

dirge

22 May 2013, 18:34

Use blacks, the man switch!

Muirium
µ

22 May 2013, 18:39

Clears are more manly than blacks! They are what browns should have always been.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2013, 19:34

titanaircraft wrote:Got my hands on a set of clears. Definitely like them better than the browns. Thanks for everyones input.
What keyboard did you get? (Assuming a whole new board, as your brown Filco is up for sale.)

titanaircraft

22 May 2013, 20:13

Ended up with a Ducky DK9008 Shine II. Not the biggest fan of the LEDs, but not too many other choices in a full size keyboard.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2013, 20:17

How do you find the quality of the Ducky straight against the Filco overall?

titanaircraft

22 May 2013, 20:52

I feel the Filco is better quality. The Ducky is close, but the Filco feels more tank-like. This may change as I use the Ducky more.

If I could get a Filco Ninja with clears (without having to build one), I would be set.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2013, 21:08

Yes, Ducky surely has Filco beat on options.

The caps are compatible, by the way. Here's an unused Ninja set for a TKL. That would get you most of the way there.

r3m4

27 May 2013, 16:49

I think if you have to jump between rubberdome at work and mechanical Keyboard at home, Topre would be the best decission.
Its a very nice soft typing and the jump to rubberdome is not that hard.
If you love the tactile bump of the rubberdome Keyboards in my opinion only mx blue got a very noticeable bump. The tactile Feeling on clears is bigger on releasing the key than on pressing. Hope you understand me ^^

Return to “Keyboards”