Ideas to customize my Ducky Shine

GlowingStar

21 Jun 2013, 14:57

Hi,

So, I'm getting a bit bored of the look of my Shine (it is really nice don't make me say what I didn't say), and I was wondering what I could do to refresh it. I was thinking of buying new keycaps, but as it is back-lit it's quite hard to find some that are compatible, and the fact that I live in France is not helping.
So yeah if you guys have any ideas you are very welcome!

dondy

21 Jun 2013, 15:05

i would say that getting caps for a mx board is fairly easy (compared to any other switch) unless you're really picky,
you could also paint the case? get some fancy usb cable for it (if it's detachable)? change the backlighting? swap the switches? burn it...

Muirium
µ

21 Jun 2013, 15:08

Welcome to the board.

All things Ducky specific tend to start right here:
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t4718.html

It's a huge thread constantly updated by Ducky Nordic, one of Europe's importers. You might want to read the most recent few pages for stuff about upcoming caps. He's just back from Taiwan.

Be careful what you wish for!

GlowingStar

21 Jun 2013, 15:16

Thanks for the answer, keycaps aren't hard to find, it is just that the shipping costs are ridiculous. Painting the case is a good idea, for that I'll have to figure out how to disassemble the KB, I'm not pro enough to change the back light, plus I really like my white back light, simple and clear. Same thing for the switches, not pro enough and I like my Reds :-P

Ooor I could just burn it, and burn my house with it, good idea ^^

dondy

21 Jun 2013, 15:27

GlowingStar wrote:Thanks for the answer, keycaps aren't hard to find, it is just that the shipping costs are ridiculous. Painting the case is a good idea, for that I'll have to figure out how to disassemble the KB, I'm not pro enough to change the back light, plus I really like my white back light, simple and clear. Same thing for the switches, not pro enough and I like my Reds :-P

Ooor I could just burn it, and burn my house with it, good idea ^^
well, i was merely suggesting some options you have :lol:
but don't burn your house, that's stupid! :P

GlowingStar

21 Jun 2013, 15:33

Oh well it seemed like a fun idea

dondy

21 Jun 2013, 16:55

GlowingStar wrote:Oh well it seemed like a fun idea

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jun 2013, 16:58

Needs more Christmas tree decorations.

GlowingStar

21 Jun 2013, 17:55

oh yeah and i could put a tree on my KB so that it reminds me of nature, or just put dirt on it.

dondy

21 Jun 2013, 18:42

GlowingStar wrote:oh yeah and i could put a tree on my KB so that it reminds me of nature, or just put dirt on it.
dirt mod is fine, i even got a dirt mod for the dirt in my board.

Muirium
µ

21 Jun 2013, 19:28

Or you could go the Japanese route:

Wax on.

Gold rather.

Don't type on it, whatever you do. Every touch destroys the value.

But it does done with complementary chopsticks.

Behold the inscrutable magic of the HHKB HG.

dondy

21 Jun 2013, 23:24

holy shit why would anyone ever do that...

GlowingStar

22 Jun 2013, 13:01

Thinking about Japan, a sushi keycap would be awesome !

GlowingStar

28 Jun 2013, 20:12

Hey !
Anyone might know good keycaps for the ducky shine, I found this http://goo.gl/ENak1 (don't worry about the url, I just shortened it because it was way too long) but, IMO it is kind of too expensive for keycaps, see I don't really want to spend 50usd + shipping on keycaps.

Anyway if you know not too expensive ones I'm all for it

For the record, I'm painting my case and making a custom wrist rest for my keyboard.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2013, 20:17

$50 on caps is expensive? Okay, well, here's the group buy for you!

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t5825.html

Nine bucks. About tenth what I'm paying for DSA Dolch plus ISO, but different strokes…

GlowingStar

28 Jun 2013, 20:44

I know this is not THAT expensive but I ca't affort to spend 50 bucks on keycaps right now, and BTW are these compatible with the backlight ?

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2013, 20:52

Money's always about perspective, I'll agree with you there. Plenty folk would be dismayed you paid anything for your keyboard in the first place. "Aren't those free with computers, like mice?"

The Tai Hao GB is crazy good value. Doubleshots for less than a tenner! But, no, they aren't designed with backlights in mind. They'll glow, but they won't shine.

Backlight specific caps are thin pickings, actually. Ducky Nordic does some from time to time, but you're typically stuck with your keyboard's originals.

Nothing a bit of dirt modding wouldn't fix…

GlowingStar

28 Jun 2013, 22:42

Thank you for your answer, I think I will wait then and maybe buy a non backlit KB in 60% and then buy some fancy keycaps.

Muirium
µ

29 Jun 2013, 01:33

That's certainly one good option. I'm building one myself. Well, with assistance from someone who knows just how to do it.

Acanthophis

29 Jun 2013, 02:51

Wait, let me understand this...

50 bucks for a 104 keycaps set are too expensive for your taste, but you may buy a Poker/Poker2/Pure/whatever else there is and will be in 60% AND buy some fancy keycaps?

Oh damn, I'm trash talking again :/

GlowingStar

29 Jun 2013, 11:05

Haha, it's just that for the moment it is too much for keycaps, I'm planning on buying a new GPU and a watercooling system for my computer. So, when I will have the budget I will probably either buy a 60% and/or some fancy keycaps, but backlight compatible keycaps are hard to find I tried to contact Ducky Nordic but no answer :(

Acanthophis

29 Jun 2013, 15:11

Try here in the forum, they have a thread: http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t4718.html

GlowingStar

29 Jun 2013, 15:14

Thanks mate !

Hehe, I think this is sorted, as I am painting my case in yellow I will take one yellow set from the GB to go with the case 8-)

GlowingStar

12 Jul 2013, 14:09

Hi,

A little update :
I painted the case ->
Spoiler:
I am making a wrist rest ->
Spoiler:
And found some orings (I love to find things like that ^^) ->
Spoiler:

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2013, 14:10

Nicely done!

GlowingStar

12 Jul 2013, 14:38

Thanks! I also bought some laser engraved keycaps to go with that.
God... I'm becoming one of them...

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2013, 14:45

Come play with us!
For ever and ever and ever…

GlowingStar

12 Jul 2013, 16:53

My God... What did I just watch...

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2013, 17:03

Coming this fall: the Ducky Shining!

GlowingStar

12 Jul 2013, 20:02

Haha, I've got the yellow, I just need the mad face.
BTW that's makes me think of a post on a random forum I don't remember the name that saying Ducky Shining as the name of the keyboard, that made me laugh back in the days and you just reminded me of that, thank you !

Return to “Keyboards”