Opinions / Pre-Orders - NEW Limited Edition Cherry Keyboard

robin13867

25 Jun 2013, 11:25

Okay people of the Keyboard world, I'm looking for some feedback/interest in a 'new' Limited Edition 60th Anniversary Cherry G80-3494LYCUS.

During a recent visit to the UK by my colleagues in Germany, I asked if it would be possible to produce MX keyboards with double shot caps. Unfortunately, due to the sheer cost of production (apparently), it's just not something we can do as a 'mainstream' product any longer. The cost of the keyboard, as well as the minimum order quantity to obtain the caps, means that it's commercially non-viable for us to produce in large numbers and something we'd simply be stuck with on the shelf.

However, there's a little talk of a special edition version being produced. In order to get them, as a company, we have to order 4000pcs in total - 2000pcs in black, 2000pcs in light-grey. Whilst we're not tied to this figure in the UK, if we cannot generate 4000pcs as a whole, worldwide, the keyboard won't be produced at all. At the moment, the Far-Eastern market is being canvassed for their interest and I've been asked to find out the UK perspective.
Ltd Edition MX Keyboard.jpg
Ltd Edition MX Keyboard.jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
The spec of the keyboard is this. It's basically a G80-3494LYCUS-2 (also available in light-grey - G80-3494LYCUS-0), so has NKRO and red MX switches inside. There is a red 60th Anniversary Cherry logo printed in the top left corner, as well as our 'MX Inside' logo printed in gold at the top right. Finally, there will be double-shot key-caps - the WASD and Esc keys will be red with black legends, the remainder of the keyboard will be black with red legends (there's no image of the -0 version, so I assume the keys will be white with red legends).

It's ONLY available as a US layout variant (104 key) and will carry a cost of approximately £140-£150.

So, any takers? Any pre-orders? Answers on a postcard (or preferably through the forum!)....

BimboBB

25 Jun 2013, 11:37

Wow....a new orginal Cherry board with doubleshots! Thats sounds reallly cool. Too bad it comes only in ANSI....but anyway.

Topre Enthusiast

25 Jun 2013, 11:48

I don't really like the MX Inside logo but otherwise this sounds pretty cool actually. Are you collecting money now? Put me down for a light grey one - if they're white with red legends that is.

ماء

25 Jun 2013, 11:51

Maybe,first blacklight from cherry
unfortunately not TKL
Why Cherly, never made TKL?

ماء

25 Jun 2013, 11:53

002 wrote:I don't really like the MX Inside logo but otherwise this sounds pretty cool actually. Are you collecting money now? Put me down for a light grey one - if they're white with red legends that is.
light grey switch :lol:

robin13867

25 Jun 2013, 11:58

ماء wrote:Maybe,first blacklight from cherry
unfortunately not TKL
I'd love to answer the question....but I haven't a clue! I guess if there's a good market for it out there, it's something that could be considered at some point in time, but there has to be a sound business case for it. Personally, I'd love to see one, but I'm just a poor employee with no real sway on what is or isn't produced.... :(

robin13867

25 Jun 2013, 12:00

002 wrote:I don't really like the MX Inside logo but otherwise this sounds pretty cool actually. Are you collecting money now? Put me down for a light grey one - if they're white with red legends that is.
Not collecting the cash just at the moment - if there's enough takers before 5th July, then yes, we can place an order with our colleagues in Germany and see what happens. I'll keep the forum posted...

robin13867

25 Jun 2013, 12:02

ماء wrote:Maybe,first blacklight from cherry
unfortunately not TKL
Sorry - missed the backlit bit out. No, not backlit to my knowledge, just double shot moulded with red lettering.

The first backlit Cherry keyboard will be a small-footprint, non-mechanical keyboard due late 2013/early 2014. Others may (or may not!) follow later in 2014....we'll see....

HzFaq

25 Jun 2013, 12:06

Nice idea, I'd take a light grey one probably.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2013, 12:25

So besides for choosing between a pair of colours, it's exactly one fixed config? Red switches, full size, ANSI.

If only it were TKL! I actually prefer ANSI, and red is a fine switch. I bet you'll get more takers from our community by choosing it over black. Smart move.

tinnie

25 Jun 2013, 14:39

Will take a black one and a 'white' one.#

P.S. I would like to have this keyboard in ISO-DE layout instead of ANSI.
Last edited by tinnie on 26 Jun 2013, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

IvanIvanovich

25 Jun 2013, 14:53

I don't care for the MX inside either, I think it looks like something that goes on the outside box, not the keyboard! It's a bit more than I would like to spend, but it's special anniversary so I'm down for one.

Peter

25 Jun 2013, 15:28

No thanks, I have no interest in paying for a useless layout,
just so the yanks and koreans can get a platform for their skulls ..

akuji13

25 Jun 2013, 15:48

Wrong layout, fullsize, bad case style, awful logos...nope, i am not interested.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Jun 2013, 19:47

There's nothing wrong with the layout, you silly people from smelly European countries!

Grond

25 Jun 2013, 19:53

I'm not interested in an ANSI board, but I think the interesting news here is that Cherry still CAN produce doubleshots and hasn't sold all the machinery to GMK, as it was previewsly speculated. Now if they wanted to sale limited edition keycap sets instead of full keyboards maybe they would find more interest here.

Jmneuv

25 Jun 2013, 20:14

I rather think they'd turn to GMK to produce the caps for them.

guilleguillaume

25 Jun 2013, 20:49

I could be interested aswell but I don't really understand why it has to be ANSI only but I like the idea so I'm down for one light-grey at least.

I guess I'm asking too much If I suggest there should be different language layout for each region :roll:

IvanIvanovich

25 Jun 2013, 23:23

Oh, another small detail... I think the lock led should be NOT blue like plain stock 3494. They need to be red to match!

tlt

25 Jun 2013, 23:34

It would be really nice to have a variant in ISO layout.

usopia

26 Jun 2013, 00:08

...wrong Layout...and a little expensive!

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2013, 00:38

IvanIvanovich wrote:Oh, another small detail... I think the lock led should be NOT blue like plain stock 3494. They need to be red to match!
Yes. Definitely.

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Jun 2013, 00:44

Hm, so is there no letter in the article number that signifies the presence of NKRO? Pity, I thought we might have learnt something useful here.

Also, despite the comments in relation to the mug, you're still using the new Cherry logo instead of the old one? Why?? :(

Personally, you lost me at ANSI. Nothing wrong with ANSI, it's just not what we use here.

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2013, 00:55

I expect it's ANSI because if Americans or Koreans ever laid their hands on an ISO keyboard, they'd be sure it was a practical joke. Or so Cherry fears, at any rate. This being a collector's edition, I think that kind of doubt is misplaced. And Cherry is from the ISO world, just like surely most of its fans. Although I personally prefer ANSI, I must admit it seems a mistake as the only format for this keyboard. Strictly ISO only makes more sense. Not least for language specific caps.

7bit

26 Jun 2013, 08:02

Any chance you sell the key caps separately in order to reach the MOQ?

Halvar

26 Jun 2013, 08:21

7bit is back in the keycap buying business. That was fast ... :mrgreen:

I don't see myself buying an ANSI MX-3000 für £ 140, even though i'd love these caps. But I'm not in the UK and not the kind of collector that this probably would aim at anyway.

robin13867

26 Jun 2013, 14:31

akuji13 wrote:Wrong layout, fullsize, bad case style, awful logos...nope, i am not interested.
Don't hold back now - say what you mean! :D

Gilgam

26 Jun 2013, 14:47

A Mx-3000 for more than 160 € :-)
But :
60€ for a new one (no red switches sure)
60€ for a set of double shots keycaps
and logo red switches etc.
the price is not so bad.

Will it be ansi or ISO finally, the image says ISO and text says US layout 104 :roll:

robin13867

26 Jun 2013, 17:22

Gilgam wrote:A Mx-3000 for more than 160 € :-)
But :
60€ for a new one (no red switches sure)
60€ for a set of double shots keycaps
and logo red switches etc.
the price is not so bad.

Will it be ansi or ISO finally, the image says ISO and text says US layout 104 :roll:
Unfortunately, will be ANSI - the image is a 'mock-up' of what it'll look like and the only image available is of a German layout model....typical...

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2013, 17:37

But why ANSI?

Return to “Keyboards”