The Switch Try Bag....

MartZink

01 Jul 2011, 22:59

It's tomorrow now :D
How's it going?
and remember, i put a ''gift'' in there for mrinterface so don't say what it is. ;)

Mimic

04 Jul 2011, 18:30

ah sry, have a lot to do right now i maybe write it next week, but i can send it further when mrinterface tells me where...

pascoa341

05 Aug 2011, 10:08

How is the progress with this switch try bag going? Hope it gets round fast as I am looking forward to trying the keys out!

Mrinterface

05 Aug 2011, 10:30

It is currently underway to The Netherlands according to Mimic....

It took a very long time for this one to move. I am thinking of adding a requirement : "Send package to next one in line within 2 days or DON'T participate"

Also thinking of sending out a second Switch Try Bag -> this one will be more selfcontrolled, the members on the list arrange the swapping of the addresses themselves without me intermediating ( Like CeeSa's Gaming Try Boards ). I'll just create the list and add members to it as I see fit.

Regards.

Saboteur

06 Aug 2011, 11:27

So.. finally yesterday I got the switch try bag in the mailbox. The purpose of me trying the keys was eventually buy myself a nice keyboard that would fit my needs best. But instead of waiting for the STB to come, I also placed an order at the Keyboard Co. for an Filco Majestouch 2 with blue MX's. The keyboard arrived last week, so I can say I'm used to it now and I think the blue MX are great! So remember maybe I'm a little biased in my following review.

I am not gonna tell you all the specific and technical details of each type of key. I think most of the people will know that already, and I think MartZink posted that out in pretty much detail a couple posts ago. No, I just post the feeling I get when pressing certain keys.

Well let's try them:

Cherry Clear: Little feedback bump, but you need pretty much force to press it. I think typing on such a keyboard could eventually make your fingers a little tired. I miss the smoothness some other keys have.

Cherry Red: No feedback, just straight pounding down on this one. It feels smooth to press down, very little force required to get it moving. Fitted with those keys I think it will make a nice keyboard, although not getting any feedback (in bumps or sounds) maybe will not get you at highest typing speeds possible.

Grey Clicky Alps: Nice one. I like the feedback bump of this one. It's feedback noise is a little low pitched, so for people that don't like the clicky noise from the blue MX maybe prefer this one. Though you need more force to actuate then you need with the blue MX.

Cherry Blue: Well nice key, I am very happy with in in my Filco keyboard. The tactile bump is a little soft in my opinion, but the accurate and high pitched noise makes up for that. Very easy to operate as little force is required and the key moves gently.

Cherry Brown: Like most people, the choice is between blue or brown. Well, it's a very close call. The brown has basically the look and feel that the blue has, but then without the noise. This would make up for a great keyboard when I was working in an environment where my colleagues potentially would be distracted with the noise the blue makes.

White Complicated Dampened Alps: At some place I worked we used a lot of Silicon Graphics stuff. So I know the keyboards that had those keys in them, never liked it. It has a tactile bump in them, but as soon as you reach it you already bottomed out (hence dampened). I don't like the feeling it gives on to your fingers, because although the key doesn't require a lot of force to be pressed down, you'll get a kind of finger fatigue from it (or at least I did).

Cherry Black: Well, they're okay. It requires pretty much force to bottom them out, so I think if you really did that all the time maybe you will get a little tired. It lacks any kind of feedback, so that doesn't add up to the comfort of this key. It's not my cup of tea.

Cherry ML: Although this a low height key, it's travel distance still is pretty high. It reminds me a bit of a certain Fujitsu Siemens keyboard model, of which I'm not sure what kind of mechanism it contains (maybe rubber dome, who will tell). Anyway, it has a nice feeling tactile bump.

Black Complicated Nonclicky Alps: I know this key from the Dell keyboards I used at work. Although they are nonclicky, it makes much pretty noises when bottoming out. Also, it requires pretty much force, and I remember having a little finger fatigue when using them when typing longer texts for longer periods of time.

Well, that where all the keys. What can I say? Well, its not easy to judge a key just by pressing a single one at the time, holding it in your hands. You must also take the look and feel of the keyboard itself into account when deciding what is a good choice for you. As I said, I'm very happy with my blue MX fitted Filco, and after trying the other switches I still have no regrets buying it. A good second choice for me would be the brown MX, maybe I will get one for in the office. I am positively surprised with the Grey Clicky Alps, used in the Matias Tactile Pro 1 keyboard. Don't know if it's still used in the latest version (3) of this keyboard.

Mrinterface

06 Aug 2011, 21:38

Excellent review!

Next one in line : malkie!

malkie

11 Aug 2011, 16:19

Well, the Switch Try Bag is here. Once I have an address I'll send it on. I just spent a while writing a review of the switches, but I apparently took too long and was signed out of the forum, so it's lost - I'll type it up again when I have the time :)

malkie

14 Aug 2011, 21:37

Switch Try Bag review, 2nd attempt:

On page 2 of this thread, MartZink posted an excellent review of these switches which everyone should go and read. If I were to review the switches properly, I'd just be repeating what he wrote - so instead, I'm going to throw objectivity out the window and just flatly state what I do and don't like about each one. Also, I recently got a set of each of the soft (black) and firm (grey) Soft Landing Pads from elitekeyboards.com. They are small rubber blocks which sit on the stem of Cherry switch and reduce the noice from bottoming out. They also shorten the travel distance of the switch, and in some cases I think they change the feel quite a bit - in order to be at least slightly productive, I'll say what change I feel from each one. There are plenty of spare pads in each set, so I'll put a couple of each type in the bag, and anyone after me in the queue can see how they feel.

Black Alps
This is one of the few switches in the bag which I have actually used before. It's ok, I suppose. I don't like it much, mainly because although it's not technically a clicky switch, getting past the tactile bump requires pretty much exactly the force needed to the immediately bottom out the key, so there's a very loud plastic-on-plastic clacking whenever you use them. The bump itself could also be more precise, I think.

White Alps
This is very similar to the Black Alps above, but - as the name suggests - dampened; in practice this just means that the noise generated by bottoming out is greatly reduced, and the stop is slightly softer. This makes it a far better switch in my eyes, though still not one I particularly like. The bump is fairly stiff, but doesn't feel very 'positive' to me - though I'm not really able to explain why. It's a decent switch, but not for me.

Black Cherry
Another switch I've used. It's... horrible. It gives no tactile or audible feeback, and the spring in it is stiff, which means your fingers tire out quickly. I'm aware that a lot of people like this one, but I can't think why. The black soft landing pad makes the it feel squishy as well as stiff, which doesn't make a lot of sense but does make the switch even more unpleasant; the grey doesn't change the feel, just dampens the landing.

Cherry Red
Again, very similar to the one above it - this feels the same as the Cherry Black, but with a FAR lighter spring, which makes it a lot nicer (or, at least, less awful). Still no feedback, but at least it doesn't tell your fingers that it doesn't want to be pressed. Neither pad changess the feel of it much, they just shorten the travel and make things quieter. I don't think I'd ever want to type on these, but I suppose if I played enough FPSs to warrant getting a keyboard just for that, these would be good. I don't, though, so...

Cherry ML
The last of the switches I've used, though only briefly. Just looking at it, it's clear that this switch should be judged by different standards to the others - it's very obvious designed as a compact switch, for situations where the size or weight of the others would be a disadvantage. That said, I'm surprised by how nice this switch is - no click, but the bump is crisp and not too stiff. The stem is the wrong shape to fit a soft landing pad, and I think the travel is too short for them to work anyway, so no comments there. If I ever want a keyboard for travelling, or even a mechanical-switch laptop (though sadly I doubt such a thing exists), I'll look for these - it easily kicks the crap out of any rubber-dome or scissor-switch keyboard I've used.

Cherry Brown
I joined this sinklist mostly to try out this and the Cherry Blue, as the keyboard I was looking at came in Black, Blue and Brown. I was leaning toward Brown when i joined and just wanted to be sure - I'm VERY glad I waited. The bump in this switch is very rough, and past the bump the force needed to depress the switch seems to to change the further through the stroke you go. The switch ends up feeling really inconsistent, which I can't abide. The grey pad makes this feel similar to the White Alps, but... cheaper, frankly. The black pad makes seems to make the resistance past the bump more even, which I find to a significant improvement, even if it does feel a bit squishy. This happens to be the only place I prefer the black pad to the grey.

Cherry Clear
This feels to me like a stiffer, far better Cherry Brown. The stroke is a lot more consistent, though it does give quite a lot of resistance. I quite like the overall feel, but I suspect my fingers would tire out if I used a keyboard with this switch long term. I used (and liked) a buckling-spring Unicomp for quite a while though, so perhaps it would be ok. Both pads have pretty much the same effect - they make this switch feel very much like a heavier White Alps.

Grey Alps
Ooh, I like this! The bump is clear and crisp, and there's a very satisfying (although also rather loud) click to go with it. Like the Black and White Alps, the key bottoms out almost automatically on passing the bump, but as the bump is so much more clear that doesn't seem like an issue here. If I had found an ISO-layout, numpadless keyboard with this swith, I would have had a very hard decision to make. My brief googling didn't show me such a thing, which made it easier.

Cherry Blue
Another very nice switch, and the one I ended up going for. Similar to the Grey Alps, though lighter (simply getting past the bump on the Alps takes more force than fully bottoming out on this one), quiter, and with a longer travel distance. The bump is crisp, and the click is clearly audible but not particularly loud - it's also a much more high pitched "tick" compared to the Alps' "tock". Everyone seems to say this switch feels pretty much the same as the Cherry Brown, but with a click - I expected to agree, but to me they feel totally different. The black pad makes this switch quite spongy post-bump, which I dislike; the grey really just shortens the keystroke, and makes this switch feel closer to the Grey Alps - albeit a ligher, quiter, dampened version.

To rank them, from best to worst:
= Cherry Blue
= Grey Alps
Cherry ML
White Alps
Black Alps
Cherry Clear
Cherry Red
Cherry Brown
Cherry Black

Huge thanks to Mrinterface for starting this - you probably saved me from spending a lot of money on the second-to-last switch on that list. I'll send the bag on to the next in line tomorrow.

Mrinterface

15 Aug 2011, 10:18

And again, a very nice review! Thanx for that malkie!

Regards.

damorgue

25 Aug 2011, 20:52

Awesome, soon, my tale of indecision might come to an end... Also, i might see if the mx clears in my keyboards are really that worn down. I don't have much for comparison but they feel somewhat like blacks which has led me to believe that they are really worn down. At least they cleaned out nice:
Before cleanup:
http://i.imgur.com/00lB5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o3XVn.jpg
After cleanup:
http://i.imgur.com/bBY5q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/89Gli.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pWYp1h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yWVSI.jpg

Are we to include something in the bag as was previously stated? That is fine by me.

damorgue

13 Sep 2011, 20:05

Wow, surprise!
I just got the STB in the mail, I had expected to get a notice when the previous tester sent it. Still, quite a nice surprise to get. I will return later for the verdict.

damorgue

18 Sep 2011, 21:26

I will begin with an unbiased comparison and then follow it with my personal opinion of course biased by my own preferences. My somewhat limited experience with keyboards include: Countless regular average-feeling rubber domes, some different scissor switches, several Keytronic KT2001, one NIB (Famous as the best rubber domes and keys with different weight) and several G80-8200LPDUS (Cherry MX white/clear). I have also, but only briefly and not for an extended period as my own, tried: Cherry MX Blue, Cherry MX Brown, Cherry MX Black and a long time ago in my early childhood, Buckling Springs. I type at approx. 60 WPM in English and 70 WPM in my native language, Swedish. That concludes the part about me. Onto the exiting stuff beginning with the descriptions:

Cherry MX Red
These are really light with no tactile feel whatsoever, unless you count the bottoming out, which you are sure to do if you type anything like me. I cannot confirm the supposedly great performance of these switches in fast gaming since I don’t have a keyboard of them to really try them out but on the other hand, I can’t disprove it either. I have always felt that short stroked switches are great in gaming and the good effects of that property can be proven with input lag and the clearly defined and nearby lying endpoints. Yes, you might laugh at the not-measurable difference in activation time but it FEELS faster, which in turn can MAKE you faster. Knowing that the activation point of the key is that close beneath your fingers and that you only have to slightly push it down to bottom out and be ensured that it has activated can be advantageous.
Cherry MX Black
I deliberately list it next to the MX Red because they are similar. The difference is, according to me, not as large as some make it out to be. Yes, they are heavier, but not by much. The statements that you would get tired by these is hard to believe, although not possible for me to really test since typing for an extended duration is hard when you are limited to one switch :) This also goes for the MX Reds, I don’t think that they would accidentally be pressed when resting your fingers on the home row as the rumors supposedly claims.
Cherry MX Blue
One of the most though of switches when people mention mechanical switches since they have become fairly popular lately. First off, they really make some noise and are frankly quite loud when you get going (This I learnt not by the single switch in the switch try bag but from typing on a complete keyboard). Simply put, if you like it but can’t have them because of environmental factors that will punch you in the face when you type loudly, I would search elsewhere. I would in that case, because of their similarities, suggest MX Clear/White and second to it Cherry MX Brown. The MX blue is otherwise a very tactile switch with a fairly sharp turning point and crisp tactility, enhanced by the equally sharp and distinctly crisp click. A possibility one should consider is that one gets tired of the constant sharp high pitched clicks. I am guessing that they can be quite harsh on the ears if one types for an extended period of time and a high speed. This is hard to try out without actually buying a keyboard with them and observe the long time result but if one has the possibility to type a longer text at a friend whom might have one, I suggest you take try that before buying one yourself as you might get disappointed by the sharpness of the noise.
Cherry MX Clear/White
This is the mechanical switch that I have the most experience with since my main keyboard has these. What can be concluded is that these stems age VERY poorly. My MX Whites feel somewhere between these and the MX Reds. The notch gets worn down as it seems and, weirdly, approaches MX reds. Why would this be weird you may ask. Well, the springs in these are supposedly the same as in MX blacks and since they would get worn down to the profile of blacks/reds they should approach the feeling of blacks. This has lead me to the conclusion that not only the notch on the profile attached to of the stem gets worn down, so does the spring and it becomes lighter with time. The Cherry MX white/clear is otherwise a very tactile switch with a very heavy feedback. It has no sound whatsoever by itself although bottoming out on them will of course cause some sound as well as the slight sound of the stems sliding if you are the sensitive person. In conclusion, these switches feels like a MX Brown with a more pronounced and accentuated tactile bump. It is not necessary a smoother or less defined and distinct tactile bump as I have read a lot of people stating but just a heavier bump. The MX White/clear is very much like the MX Blue but without the sound and if one cannot hear the MX Blue, it loses its crispier touch which is what sets them apart. More on this psychosensational(?) effect later.
Cherry MX Brown
These are slightly lighter MX Clears/whites with lighter tactile feedback. They can also be compared to the MX Blues in the sense that they are lighter and lack the audial feedback and click. I wont write more about these as they are easily described and really just lighter versions of some of the above mentioned switch types.
Cherry ML
These feels like a regular scissor switch with a more ‘narrow’ bump if you can translate that statement into a feeling. Whilst the regular scissor switch takes most of its stroke to actually pass the tactile bump, the Cherry ML passes it very fast and then has a constant spring until it bottoms out. I believe this is a difference which causes little changes in reality because of the inherited short stroke lengths of these types of switches. I will bottom out on scissor switches anyway, so the fact that the tactile bump is close to the surface is of little concern. The strength of the tactile bump seems similar to regular scissor switches and the weight overall feels the same. A personal note is that it feels somewhat inexact and not as robustly built as many of the other switches. It almost feels as if the tactile point might have a tendency towards having two tops, much like a binominal curve. I am not certain of this, but I can state for sure that the actuation force seems unsteady and the activation point’s location on the tactile bump is not as properly defined as I would like it to be and as it is in many of the other switches.
White Complicated Dampened Alps
These feel as if they have a lighter weight than the Cherry MX White/clear which they are otherwise similar to while still keeping an almost as forceful tactile bump. They are a little mushy to the feel but this only seems to serve as a mask to make the sliding motion unnoticeable. This mushiness is something many would regard as negative.
Black Complicated Nonclicky Alps
Like dampened, but actually with a slight click and slightly more crisp and narrow bump, although very little
Grey Clicky Alps
OMG, accentuated
OMG great
OMG, I just want to swallow these so that I can later evacuate them painfully and pretend that I created them.
Yup, I failed in being objective. In all honesty, they are what I think a switch should be like. They are consistent in feel and never change, no matter the circumstances. They make some noise, a click but less than the MX Blue, or at least less harsh. They have a very pronounced tactile bump on the way down where it leaves and sort of collapses and then returns. When lifting, there is then not much of a bump and it feels very accurate. I tried being objective but just can’t with this switch.

A general discussion of the methods used during testing, the properties of the switches as well as their advantages/disadvantages.
I tried them all first between my index finger and thumb and quickly noticed how all the tactile points felt more pronounced, especially the Cherry MX white to which I have gotten used to seen as how my main keyboard uses them. It seems as holding them like that, pressing and activating them strengthens and enhances the tactility and ‘crispyness’ of the bump. This method seems flawed so I went on. Holding them in the palm of my hand didn’t change much, so I ended up placing them against a sturdy surface and suddenly the switches all changed in character. They all seemed to drift towards the non-tactile Cherry MX black/red. Although this made me happy since my own keyboards with MX clear seemed to not be as worn, it also made me sad that they were not quite as tactile as they were in my initial testing.
A second note is that I felt very little difference between the MX blue, MX brown and MX clear/white. I even got so far as to see if the slight difference I felt might be caused by some placebo effect by the sound and that it might affect the feel. I tried comparing all switches with earphones with loud music as well as with earplugs that completely removed all sensation that might be cause by the sound. This actually affected the touch and tactile feel of the keys and the MX blue is really similar to MX white/clear. The MX brown was still somewhat different and lighter but the difference had diminished and the impact can only lead to one logic conclusion, the sound affects the tactile feel.
I would finally like to bring two problems with the switch try bag to attention that some might not have taken into consideration. There are two things missing from this type of test besides not actually writing anything and using a proper keyboard all with proper switches to get a complete feel of them. The first is the resonating sound of typing on an actual keyboard which differs with frame and mounting as well as keycap and the rate at which you type. The sound is as I previously stated a bigger impact than I could have imagined, not only for the general impression but also for the fact that it seems to affect the tactile feel and the other senses. The second flaw is that the points of activation are not tested at all. One of the major problems with average rubber domes is that they activate when they bottom out, one of the disadvantages avoided with many mechanical key switches.

Note: The MX blue, brown and clear/white all have an issue in common I haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere. When they are clicked fast, there are irregularities in the feel, especially in the upstroke. There is a tendency to feel as if there are two points of actuation when typing/making the stroke fast. A theory of mine is that the spring bounces and somehow relashes onto the keycap as some kind of reverb. Alps have none of this effect and can be pressed at any rate and speed of sliding without giving any sign of this effect, they feel the same no matter what. The upstroke also feels more constant and independent of the downstroke. The MX have a similar bump up as they have down while the alps have a tendency to feel linear on the way up, or at least follow the finger closely and with constant force on the way up. A smoother stroke perhaps might also play a role here? The Alps are one of few that really has the same great tactile bump of the KT2001. The KT2001 has a very round and long bump with a proper sendoff when it actually leaves the finger and bottoms out by itself and then returns to the finger. The Alps somewhat reminds me of this and I like it. It gives an impression that the key collapses and then returns to the finger and then follows the finger without any interruption instead of a bump on the way up.

Grey Alps have a shorter stroke than MX White, and they will after the tactile bump quite soon bottom out. MX White has its tactile bump closer to the surface. The tactile bump on the whites is a chapter in itself. The bump appears closer to the surface during downstroke and closer to the bottom during upstroke. I do not like that it changes position, although I can see the advantages since this would be the preferred activation points, and the tactile points should coincide with these points.

Rank by my preferences:
Since I like as much tactility as possible I really dislike the Cherry MX black and red. I have always somewhat liked scissor switches since they have a heavy tactile feedback related to their short stroke length and their tendency to easily bottom out. That being said, I really like the ones with heave tactile feedback that still retain a deep stroke that allows me not to bottom out, even though I have a tendency to do so.
1. Grey Clicky Alps
One comment: I must try a keyboard with these ASAP and buy like ten to be ensured that I have them for all eternity.
2. Cherry MX Clear/White and Cherry MX Blue
As previously stated, I feel little that distinguishes these apart. As so, I have given them a shared second place. The difference between them is of course the sound and very pronounced click of the MX blue. It can be both good and bad depending on the situation and the requirements of the environment.
4. Cherry MX Brown
5. Cherry ML
6. Black Complicated Nonclicky Alps
7. White Complicated Dampened ALps
8. Cherry MX Red
9. Cherry MX Black

Note on keycaps
Double injected etc, to be inserted

Finally, I would like to thank Mr.Interface for the time he invests in this endeavor, for his brilliant idea to start this and his skillful execution and organization of the system. If there is one thing I would like to change, it would be to add Topre and if possible (I know it would be hard) add a cut out part of a keyboard with buckling spring. The lack thereof means that I cannot be certain of which is my favorite switch until I have tried them all. I will keep them for a day more and see whether my impressions of them change with time. Perhaps I can get accustomed to the lower ranked ones but really, my opinion stands, I like them as tactile as possible. Hopefully, this will suffice :)

Mrinterface

19 Sep 2011, 10:02

Thanx for the review, damorgue!

As for the tips : it certainly would help to have the two extra switch types in the bag : the topre and buckling spring. Maybe in the future someone donates them to be added :-)

Regards

pascoa341

28 Sep 2011, 15:20

Switch bag arrrived!

Mrinterface

28 Sep 2011, 15:41

Good! Now Australia is next :-)

cactux

28 Sep 2011, 16:07

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Mrinterface

28 Sep 2011, 16:11

I bundled the aussies (3) :-)

So, you are welcome to join since it will go there anyways.... PM me your address and email so I can add you.

Regards.

pascoa341

10 Oct 2011, 12:38

Sorry for taking so long. It was a bid mad here with work. Here's my experience:

To be honest I found it difficult to create a fully complete ranking. Given a bit of time and practice I think you can get used to and enjoy many switches. In my case I found there were 5 switches that I could adjust to, while 3 others were not so good for me (I did a blind test so I would not be too judgemental).

1. Cherry Blue: I have to admit that this is what I currently type on, so I am probably biased. However, I love the click and good feedback. I notice I do not botttom out regularly, so the noise is not that bad (and to be honest, I work from home so no one is really bothered). Great switch.

2. Cherry ML: Being a more compact key, I felt the takeover point was a bit short, but it still is very nice little switch with a nice feel. Wouldn't it be good if something like this could be built into laptops. I'd happily have a bit fatter laptop for that kind of typing comfort.

3. Cherry Brown: I was looking forward to this switch and it did not disappoing. It is relatively light and has reasonable feedback (although it felt like it was a bit less than the blue switch). Nevertheless I could get used to this and will certainly consider it for a future keyboard.

4. Grey Clicky Alps Matias Tactile: I was quite surprised by this switch as I had never heard of it. It felt a little bit heavy, but feedback was good and crisp and it had a good sound (a bit louder than othersw with the exception of the blue one).

5. Cherry Clear: Another one I was looking forward to trying. I was slightly disappointed as it was a little bit heavy for me and somehow was not as crisp as the others, but still not too bad.

6. Black Complicated Nonclicky Alps: This is where we enter the realm of my avoidance switches. Although there is some feedback in this switch, to me it simply was not crisp enough to be comfortable to use.

7. Cherry Red: Although the Cherry Red is light, it provides so little feedback that I have no idea what I am doing. I almost felt a bit like a membrane switch keyboard (well not really, but it did lack feeeling.

8. Cherry Blacks: These were very disappointing. My, my, are they heavy! I can see myself getting cramps with these within a couple of others. Also no feedback whatsoever, not my cup of tea!

Thanks very much to mr. Interface and all others participating! I have added two rubber o-rings that have been discussed at Geekhack as possible dampeners for noisy keys. I have found out I am personally not too keen on these things, but others may enjoy it. Anyway it's good to compare them to the other two dampening devices that are notw included.

Mrinterface

10 Oct 2011, 12:48

Nice review pascoa....

And thanx for the O-rings! Even I would like to try them ... :-) If all is well, the bag will leave for a trip to Aussie land next...( 4 people over there :-) )

Regards.

AvenZerg

11 Oct 2011, 00:26

after reading every single review (yes every single one) i can not wait to try them out.. this is gut wrenching, i want a mechanical keyboard sooooo bad i am feeling like breaking my rubber dome keyboard on purpose so i am forced to get a mech one lol xD

but this indecisive pesky little gnome in my head keeps yelling something about mx and colors.. WHICH ONE!?!?.. SEND THEM!! before my head explodes!

pascoa341

11 Oct 2011, 15:25

The bag is on its way!

nightcabbage

11 Oct 2011, 15:37

Oh this idea sounds awesome!

Exactly what I was hoping for - a way to try the different switches out!

Could I be added to the list? I'm in Australia.

So the idea is that someone sends it to you, and then you send it to the next person, and so on, correct?

Mrinterface

11 Oct 2011, 17:36

nightcabbage wrote:Oh this idea sounds awesome!

So the idea is that someone sends it to you, and then you send it to the next person, and so on, correct?
Ah, the fourth Aussie! I put you on the sinklist. Nice coincidence since none of my sinklist items ever ended up in Down Under and here is this little bag of switches going to serve 4 aussies at once :-)

Regards.

nightcabbage

12 Oct 2011, 01:10

Perfect timing :)

Thanks!

Looking forward to trying them all out and writing a little review of each!

AvenZerg

12 Oct 2011, 18:05

Mrinterface wrote:
nightcabbage wrote:Oh this idea sounds awesome!

Ah, the fourth Aussie! I put you on the sinklist. Nice coincidence since none of my sinklist items ever ended up in Down Under and here is this little bag of switches going to serve 4 aussies at once :-)

Regards.
take me off the list please.. (even tho i would love to get the switch try bag and write a review about it.)
if you are going to neglect europeans that are on the list, just because the bag is in australia i might aswell not participate.. it would take too long and i don't think i would have the patience to wait that long sorry. (especially when people get pushed on the list)

you should start making continental try bags since your idea is starting to slowly get noticed by the whole planet...
it would help out alot. king regards,

a dissapointed fan.

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Oct 2011, 18:16

Wait, you joined yesterday (see further above) when your head was still exploding, and in one day MrInterface is "neglecting" Europeans, because you aren't on the top of the list immediately? This disappoints you and Europeans should have more rights to the free switch bag than Australians? If you had been here earlier and the bag would have been in Europe you'd have to wait even longer because the list was longer. I don't think you realize how many expensive keyboards MrInterface had to mutilate in order to give this to the community, or you wouldn't have been so crazy to complain, stranger.

Mrinterface

12 Oct 2011, 19:12

I also don't like what happens when people 'jump' the queue I am currently in. Somehow it feels unfair....

I think Avenzerg doesn't understand the system :

I aggregate sinklist participants based on location so people sometimes get 'pushed' in front of others so the sinklist item trip length is kept to a minimum.
This sometimes means that people look forward to getting the item only to be disappointed that others 'jump' the queue. This is inherent to the system...

A solution for this I already provided : create a sinklist item Per Continent, but even per continent you would like to aggregate people based on same country properties and hence introduce friction when people 'jump' the queue.
A sinklist item per major country would be best for the future.

As for now , I wanted to start up the second European SwitchTryBag anyway, so Avenzerg is still welcome to join it when it starts.

Regards.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Oct 2011, 07:28

AvenZerg wrote:(...) you should start making continental try bags since (...)
That's pretty disgusting.
Here's a guy who puts his knowledge, his own stuff and his initiative to the service of a lot of people all over the world at no cost, and you still find that's not enough? What did you contribute so far?

Mrinterface wrote:(...) so Avenzerg is still welcome to join (...)
Perhaps someone should first inform AvenZerg that he (and not Mrinterface) will have to pay the shipping costs to send the bag to the next person on the list.

Topre Enthusiast

13 Oct 2011, 10:34

I wonder if it would be a good idea to put a restriction on the switch try bag so that users with less than ~10 posts or so cannot participate?

I think that this would give the organiser a fair idea of somebody's personality and could prevent this very generous experiment from being ruined by some dud who decides to close his account, nick the switches, and ruin it for everyone.

The obvious con is that someone who is new to the forum would need to wait a little longer, but if they were that eager to try the switches out, I'm sure they could understand the restriction.

cactux

13 Oct 2011, 10:38

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Return to “Keyboards”