WASD keyboard V2

Flox

10 Nov 2013, 17:24

Hello folks,

Does any of you have some experience with the WASD keyboard V2? I've been looking here and on geekhack but I can't find much information about this keyboard. I'm trying to decide if I'd go for a filco majestouch 2 or this keyboard.

Greetings,

Flox

wobbles

15 Nov 2013, 11:32

It's good and has a broader switch choice than filco (mx clears) but they don't get anywhere near filco build quality.

Personally i would go for the MJ2. If you want the oh-so custom keycaps though, you can go with the wasd. It's a reasonable choice.

dustinhxc

24 Nov 2013, 10:04

They are a solid company and the board looks nice!

Belfong

24 Nov 2013, 14:34

I thought my Code keyboard, which essentially is WASD V2 is pretty solid - very study, heavy, doesn't flex, good rubber leg, plate mounted, DIP switch for flexibility and detachable cable.

I'm not sure how well Filco can be. Can you define solid, wobbles?

Muirium
µ

24 Nov 2013, 14:45

Pick it up off the desk, hold a corner in each hand and try to twist the keyboard. There will be creaking and a little flexing, even metal Model Fs have a little give. But the amount varies widely between makes and models.

Then try to forget this when you're next typing!

Same trick works with laptops, tablets, monitors… Some of them are built like junk.

Belfong

24 Nov 2013, 14:57

I think even HHKB will fail this test!

I'm not sure I want to try that on my previous Code.

Muirium
µ

24 Nov 2013, 17:28

Everything flexes, it's just a matter of how much. Even a slab of laser CNCed metal like an iPad.

You won't snap anything giving it a twist. Well, unless you really try!

wobbles

26 Nov 2013, 21:27

How should i describe it, Belfong.
I guess you can say that Filco is built to be stomped on, while WASD is built for everyday use.
The WASD has better keycaps tho, they are lasered i believe, while filco is pad-printed.

fifkikker

03 Dec 2013, 07:04

wobbles wrote:How should i describe it, Belfong.
I guess you can say that Filco is built to be stomped on, while WASD is built for everyday use.
The WASD has better keycaps tho, they are lasered i believe, while filco is pad-printed.
I actually have a Filco and I am considering ordering a set of custom keycaps from WASD. This way you can combine the build of a Filco and the customization of a WASD, though this is obviously a costly option. Wobbles, I believe WASD as three ways of doing the print for keycaps, laser etched, or engraved, or both. Any preference and if so, why?

the1onewolf

02 Jan 2014, 00:38

Been curious about this too and I haven't found information about the true quality of WASD keyboards.
I've heard that WASD does a nice job in lubing your board and applying finishing touches but how do the internal components (PCB, soldering, electrical components, etc) stack up against Filco?

epzy

07 Jan 2014, 05:54

fifkikker wrote:
wobbles wrote:How should i describe it, Belfong.
I actually have a Filco and I am considering ordering a set of custom keycaps from WASD. This way you can combine the build of a Filco and the customization of a WASD, though this is obviously a costly option. Wobbles, I believe WASD as three ways of doing the print for keycaps, laser etched, or engraved, or both. Any preference and if so, why?
i did exactly that. Though, that was before I explored the realm of PBT. My customized ABS keycaps from WASD rarely sees the sunlight. It looks soooooo, so beautiful, though.

adhoc

07 Jan 2014, 10:20

First off, kinda necro'd.
Belfong wrote:I think even HHKB will fail this test!

I'm not sure I want to try that on my previous Code.
HHKB WILL fail that test. Everything flexes. The thing is, my cherry g80 for example flexes so much I have a feeling I'll break it in half if I apply more pressure. HHKB flexes only slightly. Then again, I think this is a pointless test completely and give NO valuable information about a keyboard.

Return to “Keyboards”