Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

adhoc

11 Jan 2014, 01:31

Right, that makes sense. Haven't thought of it.

Rooneye

11 Jan 2014, 18:45

Oh man I wish my HHKB had that Cherry MX compatibility :(

Julle

11 Jan 2014, 19:38

By the way, what is the switching weighting on this board? Please tell me it's 45 g!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jan 2014, 19:43

yes I believe they said 45gr somewhere. (unfortunately)

slackface

11 Jan 2014, 20:30

matt3o wrote:yes I believe they said 45gr somewhere. (unfortunately)
You're being picky now. Just buy another board, and change the domes, totes worth.

I'm stoked about this board, I just hope there will be an ISO. Otherwise I guess I'll get an ANSI, worst case scenario would be having to import it as well.
But one way or another, I will get my hands on one.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jan 2014, 20:58

slackface wrote:
matt3o wrote:yes I believe they said 45gr somewhere. (unfortunately)
You're being picky now. Just buy another board, and change the domes, totes worth.

I'm stoked about this board, I just hope there will be an ISO. Otherwise I guess I'll get an ANSI, worst case scenario would be having to import it as well.
But one way or another, I will get my hands on one.
I already have a 55gr. not exactly practical to mod though at $250 a pop.

Please note: I'd buy this topre even if it were 15gr

fireglow

12 Jan 2014, 17:26

Is there a realistic chance we can use the sliders from this board to mod a HHKB MX-compatible?
Too soon to tell?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jan 2014, 17:29

it seems possible, yes. the stabs seem compatible.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Jan 2014, 13:38

Julle wrote:By the way, what is the switching weighting on this board? Please tell me it's 45 g!
Yes 45g will be for this model. For future models we can always take in mind the feedback and demand for other weights..

Muirium
µ

13 Jan 2014, 13:52

45g pleases everyone. 55g delights Matt3o…

Uniform weighting is the right move, too. I like variable weighting but not as much as many people loathe it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jan 2014, 13:54

For your reference:

30gr Topre

45gr Topre

55gr Topre

:D
Last edited by matt3o on 13 Jan 2014, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jan 2014, 13:54

Muirium wrote:45g pleases everyone. 55g delights Matt3o…
so untrue.

ماء

13 Jan 2014, 14:03

Topre heading into the mainstream after typeheaven...... :?
i want tried one :) and CM sTROM for future 8-)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Jan 2014, 14:32

lol Matt3o :evilgeek: :mrgreen: :lol:

slackface

13 Jan 2014, 22:05

According to this article the Novatouch TKL will cost just under $200, any comments on this, CM Bram?

http://techreport.com/news/25895/this-c ... s-you-type

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jan 2014, 09:19

slackface wrote:According to this article the Novatouch TKL will cost just under $200, any comments on this, CM Bram?

http://techreport.com/news/25895/this-c ... s-you-type
I cannot comment at this stage for a final MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) for this keyboard. Besides any price speculations keep in mind US Dollar price is not simple 1=1 for Euro price.

Quote from that link: The NovaTouch TKL will be available for less than $200 in the early part of the second quarter. To comment on this, sure less then 200 can be done, but if it's 199 or 179, 159, 129 or 19 that I cannot say at this stage. I hope you understand :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jan 2014, 09:33

just my two cents. Anything too close to $200 would make it a very nice keyboard for hardcore typist... a kind of realforce++

Everybody here would still buy it, but you definitely wouldn't catch a wider audience of gamers.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the rubbed finish. Can you confirm that the case has that texture?

Topre Enthusiast

14 Jan 2014, 09:49

I like the look of the finish but if it's what I'm thinking, it's probably that material that takes the oil from your fingers and looks really manky when it gets dirty.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jan 2014, 09:57

002 wrote:I like the look of the finish but if it's what I'm thinking, it's probably that material that takes the oil from your fingers and looks really manky when it gets dirty.
the main problem is that wear off pretty quickly in the spots where you hold your hands/fingers. It's nice to look at and to touch, but very very unpractical. Also rubber is a dust and oil magnet. The only solution is to sand the rubber finish and paint...

Topre Enthusiast

14 Jan 2014, 10:12

Maybe we need a making CM Novatouch cases together yay sub-forum?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jan 2014, 11:00

matt3o wrote:just my two cents. Anything too close to $200 would make it a very nice keyboard for hardcore typist... a kind of realforce++

Everybody here would still buy it, but you definitely wouldn't catch a wider audience of gamers.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the rubbed finish. Can you confirm that the case has that texture?
Because it is still a project in progress and we are getting feedback from forums like DT and geekhack for example we are looking into everything. However I believe it was quite set at this clean rubberized look.

damorgue

14 Jan 2014, 14:11

I feel as if a big part of why people like Topre switches is because of the fine tolerances and excellent build quality which comes with their high price. I am not saying that CM won't succeed in making a copy, but if they make them cheaper then odds are that the build quality won't be as excellent and they won't spend the same meticulous attention to detail. If they aren't as perfect and a slight wobble and scratchiness is introduced, that can essentially make or break the impression of the Topre switch since I believe that to be the reason why a lot of people like them.

Read this description for instance

I believe that getting it absolutely right will be crucial to its popularity.

Kurk

14 Jan 2014, 15:35

Fine tolerance :?
Allowing +/- 15 g tolerance for a 45 g rated switch is - well - crap. Of course, usually the switch activation forces are within a much smaller range but you can get a Monday morning model if you're unlucky. An erratic force Realforce:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ver ... ht%20enter

slackface

14 Jan 2014, 23:23

In this video, the Caps Lock key looks an awful lot like it's backlit. Exciting. (1:07)

Monkay

15 Jan 2014, 09:39

I think they look a lot like normale Laser-etched.
I love how he says that the Topre switches are "backwards-compatible" to Cherry MX.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

15 Jan 2014, 09:55

slackface wrote:In this video, the Caps Lock key looks an awful lot like it's backlit. Exciting. (1:07)

To answer your question the key caps and LED indicators on Capslock, Scr Lk and Num Lk is not final yet... But good spotted tho ;)!

Monkay

15 Jan 2014, 13:09

slackface wrote:In this video, the Caps Lock key looks an awful lot like it's backlit. Exciting. (1:07)

Whoops, I thought you meant all keycaps.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

15 Jan 2014, 15:59

Monkay wrote:
Whoops, I thought you meant all keycaps.
Backlight? Noo just for those keys with functions... However do note key caps and print is not final yet as shown in the pictures and at CES :)

slackface

15 Jan 2014, 20:51

CM Bram wrote:getting feedback.
The media-key/shortcut layout on the Rapid I seems a lot more natural, opposed to the Novatouch layout. I might be nitpicking here, but I do love my media shortcuts.

Rapid I layout clearly seen in the video above at 0:15 (Home/End key cluster)
Novatouch layout clearly seen in the video above at 0:54 (F5-F12)

Monkay

15 Jan 2014, 21:57

At 1:20 in the video the guy holding the camera says "Idk it looks like Topre". And the CM guy directly tells him it is not, but instead a "Coolermaster exclusive".
So far I have not seen a single video in which it is exactly said that the keyboard uses Topre. Just some paraphrase like "japanese electrostatic switch". Why is that?! I mean this thread here clearly says Topre.

Return to “Keyboards”