Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

adhoc

19 Jan 2014, 23:43

Muirium wrote:How could it be any good
It's not.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2014, 23:50

we don't agree on switches or fonts, but we all agree Avatar is shit. That's good for me :) I can call the day.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

20 Jan 2014, 11:51

Good to see you guys' suggestions on fonts... However some different preferences by some and you guys understand we cannot please everyone. But then again there comes the Cherry MX compatibility so I guess you can always buy separate new caps if you do not like the font we choose.... :)

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2014, 12:03

Yes, the legend font is less important than any branding on the case itself. The point is we expect to pay a premium for the Topre switch model, so it would be nice to have elegant looking caps. Something like the Cherry font, or (for me of course!) Helvetica is a step up from the style you guys use currently. It's not make or break, but it is a low cost improvement for you, that we'll really notice. It's always nice to have good spare caps!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Jan 2014, 12:13

yes, I guess we all agree that a simple/elegant font (being it helvetica, arial, din, cherry, ...) would be better than the "Space hull" typeface that I would expect from a gaming keyboard.

AKA: totally NOT this
CMfont__.jpg
CMfont__.jpg (25.34 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
do you recognize it? :roll: :)

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2014, 12:31

Exactly. I don't like Arial half as much as Helvetica, and Cherry's font is somewhere in between for me, but all of them are a big step up from there!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

20 Jan 2014, 13:02

matt3o wrote:yes, I guess we all agree that a simple/elegant font (being it helvetica, arial, din, cherry, ...) would be better than the "Space hull" typeface that I would expect from a gaming keyboard.

AKA: totally NOT this
CMfont__.jpg
do you recognize it? :roll: :)
Yes yes, looks very familiar haha.. But good feedback, thnx!
Muirium wrote:Exactly. I don't like Arial half as much as Helvetica, and Cherry's font is somewhere in between for me, but all of them are a big step up from there!
Noted! haha :)

Loafers

25 Jan 2014, 04:16

Nice. I was doing some Topre shopping but maybe I'll wait now. My experience with QFRs were very disappointing. I hope CM has improved their QA and manufacturing process.
CM Bram wrote:To answer your question the key caps and LED indicators on Capslock, Scr Lk and Num Lk is not final yet... But good spotted tho ;)!
Please place the LED indicators separately. And +1 to 55g.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jan 2014, 08:57

Loafers wrote:My experience with QFRs were very disappointing. I hope CM has improved their QA and manufacturing process.
can you elaborate?

Loafers

25 Jan 2014, 09:15

matt3o wrote:
Loafers wrote:My experience with QFRs were very disappointing. I hope CM has improved their QA and manufacturing process.
can you elaborate?
The base of my first keybard was uneven. The left alt key on my second didn't work at all. No bueno :x

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jan 2014, 09:17

oh wow... I hope the novatouch will be higher quality (actually Bram already said so)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

27 Jan 2014, 08:54

matt3o wrote:oh wow... I hope the novatouch will be higher quality (actually Bram already said so)
Yes offcourse.. We cannot justify a much higher MSRP and then offering sh!t quality right? I can assure you this NovaTouch will be a higher quality then our 'normal' mechanical keyboards. :)

Monkay

27 Jan 2014, 11:23

Nice to hear. But when can we expect a release date? :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Jan 2014, 11:37

Q1 2014 they said.

Monkay

27 Jan 2014, 12:24

Okay. So it is Q1 for the announcement. Hopefully the release will follow soon.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

28 Jan 2014, 12:34

I cannot confirm a release date yet... What I can say it will be the first half of 2014 :) (And then not just right at the end haha, do not worry :oops: ;) :D )

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2014, 12:46

hey hey hey... it was the first quarter not the first half! :P

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

28 Jan 2014, 13:23

matt3o wrote:hey hey hey... it was the first quarter not the first half! :P
*no comment* hahaha :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2014, 14:24

Which ships first: NovaTouch or Round 5? The race is on!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

30 Jan 2014, 13:46

Patients my friend.. Time flies and it will be here sooner then you think :)

Muirium
µ

30 Jan 2014, 13:55

I'm a 7bit GB regular. I have the patience of half a dozen Buddhas!

2014 would be nice…

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

30 Jan 2014, 15:19

Muirium wrote:I'm a 7bit GB regular. I have the patience of half a dozen Buddhas!

2014 would be nice…
Do not worry haha, first half of 2014 even (is the target) ;) :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Jan 2014, 16:20

oh great... first half of 2014 is just "the target"...

Compgeke

30 Jan 2014, 16:23

Being in product time that means we should see it roughly in time for the holiday season. MX stem topre would be great for Christmas.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

31 Jan 2014, 11:06

With first half 2014 I mean they should hit the shelves and stores by then ... :)

avtar

05 Feb 2014, 18:00

Bram, is the case used in these pics and your CES videos the one that will be shipped or is it just a prototype? I'm hoping that CM branding will be kept to a minimum, preferably none on the user facing surface.

Also, are there plans of offering different case colours?

Quixy

05 Feb 2014, 18:07

Nice keyboard button ;)

Monkay

05 Mar 2014, 11:48

Look what just has been teasered at /r/mechanicalkeyboards: http://imgur.com/a/FpMJz

Looks like the Novatouch will also come with the Topre Type-S Switches. As someone who never even touched Topre, is there a video or a detailed description how the sound really differs from the normal Topre? Which do you guys like more? Also for someone who likes MX-Red/Blue/Ergo-Clerars, I think that 45g are my Topre-Switch?

Also the font is no crazy gamer font anymore!!!

Muirium
µ

05 Mar 2014, 12:02

Monkay wrote:Look what just has been teasered at /r/mechanicalkeyboards: http://imgur.com/a/FpMJz

Looks like the Novatouch will also come with the Topre Type-S Switches. As someone who never even touched Topre, is there a video or a detailed description how the sound really differs from the normal Topre? Which do you guys like more? Also for someone who likes MX-Red/Blue/Ergo-Clerars, I think that 45g are my Topre-Switch?

Also the font is no crazy gamer font anymore!!!
The purple slider is indeed quite promising.
Topre's silent switches are very similar (if not identical) in feel, but have less "thock" as the upstroke is damped internally. Like some of my favourite old Alps switches, and Matias' quiet click.

Can't say I'm as impressed by the legends, though. It's better than the definitive CM janky font, but still not good looking to me. But then this is one keyboard that's all about replacing caps. Wonder if they'll ship a naked version? I'll take it!

Monkay

05 Mar 2014, 12:06

Ok I guess then I would prefer the normal version. I love the thock sound. Seriously I need this board soon, the hype intensives.

Return to “Keyboards”