Psion MC 400

cookie

13 Dec 2013, 23:13

Just saw this post on Originative and wanted to shar it with you guys!
http://retrocosm.net/2012/03/29/psion-m ... -computer/

I love this one and especially the position of the trackpad, 60h battery life is really really nice too!
This little beauty was way before its time, unfortunately verryr rare and expensive item :(

Hope you enjoy it!

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Dec 2013, 23:33

A friend had one of these (MC-something, I have no idea which model it was) — I remember the absolute-position trackpad with a tactile press action (apparently Apple reintroduced tactile trackpads a few years back — I've not used an Apple notebook for a long time). Or did he? If he did, why did I only ever see it the once? What happened to it? All forgotten now.

My experiences with the Organiser II, Series 3 and Series 5 are clearer, and I opted for a Revo Plus for myself in the end, which was pretty nifty but had a truly dreadful keyboard. The down-side to the Revo is that nothing made since has ever remotely impressed or inspired me.

Too bad Originative didn't show what sort of keyboard the MC400 had. Probably rubber dome though.

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 23:38

Ah, Psion. I wanted one, but even Super Nintendo games were cheap compared to those, at the time. Those guys get all the points for Nostradamus-like future vision. And were just as barking mad, too.

The Newton suffered from a similar problem a few years later: without Wi-Fi, portable computing wasn't ready to take off into the mainstream. Wired "sync" isn't something you want to have to think about when doing email, and it plain doesn't work at all for web browsing. But despite all that, we were already so close that you could almost see it in these laptops and tablets. It just wasn't time quite yet.

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Dec 2013, 00:22

Serial data transfer … backing up my Revo's 16 MB RAM at 112 (?) kbaud took forever, and usually failed as the shell kept your Agenda file open, and the backup would go belly up at that point. It took me a long time to figure out why I could never back the stupid thing up … On the other hand, I could mount it as a volume on my Mac. (There was a simple setting that resolved it, though.)

Why barking mad? If a British company can produce that sort of equipment, how can a US giant like IBM have polluted and poisoned the industry with the IBM PC? They had all the money, yet produced garbage for it (same story with BBC BASIC vs Microsoft BASIC, the latter being some sort of appalling joke by 1982). The keyboard was the only thing it had going for it!

Don't forget that EPOC32's biggest rival was Palm OS, and US Robotics just used an existing OS and either chose not to licence the multitasking features, or were refused. I thought the Palm V was really pretty, but after trying a Palm III in a shop I started getting a really bad feeling about the OS. Many programmers were too lazy to save their state on exit, so you'd be back to square one if you needed to swap task, losing where you were in the program. Even the iPhone failed to multitask for years …

If you have to be barking mad to make an OS that actually doesn't suck rocks, so be it.

The other down side to the Revo was that you lacked the OPL IDE as standard (you had to download it, ditto the paint program), whereas with most other models you could write software straight out of the box. The only time I ever saw an Organiser II, the first and only thing I did was write a program on it, straight away, having never seen or used OPL before. Psion were the last bastion of an age when computers were designed to be programmed directly from new, and that concept died out when they pulled out of the handheld market. The Raspberry Pi misses the point so badly it's painful — the Model A/Model B naming is clutching at straws compared to its namesake machine, which was one UHF lead and one on/off switch away from a BASIC prompt.

rodtang

14 Dec 2013, 01:18

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:...what sort of keyboard the MC400 had. Probably rubber dome though.
Considering it has DS cherry caps it is most likely MY (or MX).

Muirium
µ

14 Dec 2013, 01:31

My barking mad comment is about how far ahead of the curve they were, pushing into futuristic ultra mobile computing well before the infrastructure was in place to make it useful.

Psion were right up there with the rest of Britain's (much-reminisced-over) computing platform companies, namely Acorn and Sinclair. The trouble they all shared was that they were working in a field which would have to endure an age of binary compatibility before the internet opened up the options again.

Of course, it didn't help that they weren't American either. Coming from the outside world was an invitation to be overlooked. Indeed, tell that to Micro Computer Machines: makers of the first personal computer of them all. But Canadian!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCM/70

IvanIvanovich

14 Dec 2013, 02:34

Certainly appear to be Cherry doubleshots. What a neat machine.

Ascaii
The Beard

14 Dec 2013, 15:19

In case anyone wants to own one, here is a link i got from rodtang!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/121231965040

Return to “Keyboards”