Oh noes ... a Cherry/Alps hybrid

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Dec 2013, 02:08

http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/14848

Cherry MX clones with Alps-style click leaves inside!

rodtang

15 Dec 2013, 02:45

Best of both worlds?

From the pictures it looks like it could at least be an interesting switch, if not even a good one.

Daemon Raccoon

15 Dec 2013, 06:34

Weird how it has a pair of genuine(?) Cherry MX whites (or are those clears?) for the Return and Space switches.

kint

15 Dec 2013, 12:56

seems they distrusted their own cloning... :P
Downstroke dampened crossover switch too, hence the little rubber (?) barrels in the slider. Sounds promising, as for typing experience, but using the Alps style click leaf is also worst of both worlds for me as well, as fiddling with these in an open switch really annoys me on Alps switches. :roll:

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Dec 2013, 13:13

I think you're referring to the guide posts for the slider.

It's an interesting design. For example, the movable leaf isn't folded back on itself like it is normally, presumably to conserve space. You can never be sure with Far East designs whether they're underrated and sadly forgotten, clever but too badly made to work properly, or just terrible.

A lot of these Alps and Cherry clones are too rare in the West for most of use to ever get a chance to find out. Not the first time I've seen an unexpected Alps-style leaf — there's even a clicky foam and foil designed that way.

kint

15 Dec 2013, 13:18

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I think you're referring to the guide posts for the slider...
of course you are correct. I guess i just assumed the slider is guided externally like with MX, and didn't look at the pic careful enough... :?

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Dec 2013, 15:02

Normally when I see these clones, they're yellow:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45079.0

Sadly, that's one of so very many topics where the OP vanished before we ever got all the information available. We don't even know if it clicks or not.

Return to “Keyboards”