Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop

Halvar

17 Dec 2013, 00:54

Microsoft tries their hand at a new ergonomic keyboard, and what's new? Chiclet keys! :roll:

http://www.engadget.com/products/microsoft/sculpt/

I wonder why they didn't take the logical next step and make it separable.

I like that they made the tenkey separate and also split up the space bar. I don't know how the switches feel yet of course, but the chiclet keys don't seem to be the best idea for an ergonomic keyboard.

I don't like the nav part they designed, and that the mouse can not be used left-handed.

Compgeke

17 Dec 2013, 01:05

I do wonder who did the "professional" reviews on those, obviously they have quite low standards for "button feel" otherwise they would be giving that a 2.

People really should hire keyboard geeks to review all keyboards, then people will learn the truth.

Halvar

17 Dec 2013, 01:16

You're a keyboard snob! ;)

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Dec 2013, 01:40

That's one of those weird things — people do seem to genuinely like scissor switches. When I tried a scissor switch keyboard on my desk (pre-geekhack) my concern wasn't the feel, but rather that I couldn't adapt to the low force requirement while still using a full-travel keyboard at work. I was hitting the keys far too hard, which wasn't good. Of course, I had the same problem with Cherry MX but at least I got a click out of each key :)

Scissor keyboards can be made exceptionally well, if anyone cares. I suspect the really good ones I've used were more accident than design. I don't know whether the sharp difference between Dell's D and E generation Latitudes was due to a quality change, an OEM change (for cheapness) or whether the domes just don't wear well and newer keyboards feel better.

I don't honestly know how I would get on if I was using only (decent!) short-throw switches. I really like Cherry ML, but those are very rare in decent layouts.

bhtooefr

17 Dec 2013, 02:49

I remember the D series being just as mushtastic when they were new as they are now.

And I've actually typed on some good C series.

Findecanor

17 Dec 2013, 11:32

BTW. I see trademark infringement on Comfort Mouse.

Return to “Keyboards”