Should I DIY? If not - what should I buy?

Xaromir

13 Jan 2014, 23:58

Good news everyone! Due to an unexpected birthday I'm in the market for a new keyboard! I was looking at what's available out there, and at one point I just thought: I don't really need all that toss. I've been living with a G15 for about 6 years now, (it's wearing out) but I NEVER used the macros or the USB ports. Well, during my quest for a new keyboard I came across the Phantom, and thought: Since I don't need all that rubbish, maybe I can just build myself something better that suits me for a little less. Well, turns out that shit's expensive! 100 switches come in at about 50$, the PCB costs about 30$, then I still need caps and a case, later seems to be the most expensive part, and I still haven't come across a plate to mount the switches on. I'd quite like a back-light, but I have no idea how that would work and if it's feasible for a soldering-dyslexic like myself.

Well, as it seems buying one would cost the same or even less than putting one together myself, and since I maybe still could replace the caps, case, and even the stems at some point along the way, buying one may still be an option. *shrug*

Well what I would like is something with a better case, something without paint on it. The first thing to give on the G15 was the layer of paint where my thumbs rest - looks like my entire family was using that thing since the bloody 1800's. When I'm in Skype and I start typing, people regularly express concern about the flammability of the plastic keys, so I guess I'm a rather heavy typist, maybe something along the lines of MX White or Green would be best, maybe Clear/Light Gray. *shrug* Not 100% sure if I want something clicky or tactile. It's optional but I'd really like a back light. I looked through the topics here a bit and this really caught my eye:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-GjMH8kQlc
Well, he says 170$ or under, but by the time it arrives here in Europe it's probably more like 170€ :/

That was a lot. Thoughts? Spankings?

Halvar

14 Jan 2014, 01:00

Welcome to DT!

Buying a ready-made one is definitely much cheaper, and if you ask me, I wouldn't start building one myself before I knew quite exactly what I want in a keyboard and what I don't (especially layout-wise, but also switches, materials and the like). Others here might not share my opinion.

As for backlighting: keycaps that allow backlighting are generally made from transparent plastic with a thin layer of black paint covering everything except the key captions/letters. As you said, paint tends to wear out over time, which looks really ugly. I prefer non-transparent high-contrast key caps, for example doubleshot ABS caps, instead of backlighting, but YMMV.

If you're still going for backlighting, I'd take a look at CoolerMaster's "CM Storm" brand of keyboards first. They have a very solid build quality and are quite affordable. A collegue of mine uses one, and it's a very solid keyboard with some nice extras. I haven't tried Corsair, but I haven't heard any bad things about them either. The layout of the keyboard in the video is a little bit special in the bottom row (Ctrl-Win-Alt have a bit unusual sizes), so if you ever want to replace the keycaps, this might make it a little bit more expensive.

To say something as shocking as thought-provoking at the end: have you considered an old IBM Model M? Still one of the best-quality keyboards money can buy. I have quite a few Cherry MX keyboard, but I end up using my Model M at home 90% of the time. I use a Filco with Cherry MX brown switches at work because it's more silent. I like them both although they're very different.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2014, 01:47

Halvar's got it. Making your own keyboards is more expensive and fraught with consequences than buying off the shelf. It's the place to go when you know precisely what you want, in every conceivable respect, and are deep down the rabbit hole enough to enjoy the process. It's pretty fantastic, but it really helps to be a nut, let me tell you.

Thumbs up for a Model M. In fact, I'd suggest trying a few completely different used keyboards to explore what suits you best. Buckling spring is love/hate. MX has a bit of everything, depending on the precise switch. And Topre is where you go once you've become accustomed to spending everything it takes!

Besides, you need to choose a layout. Fullsize, Tenkeyless or smaller? Experiment!

Xaromir

14 Jan 2014, 14:30

O hai! Thanks for the replies! Sounds like DIY is out for now - though some day I'd really like to make one - just for the experience.

Well, I did consider an older one, but I never tried one, with the Cherry MX switches I roughly know what I'm getting into. I know that things like the Model M are sometimes found cheaply on fleamarkets, so I may keep my eyes open, though the undeniable retro cool-factor didn't escape me either. I also keep hearing very good things about the Ducky keyboards. Looks as if it's basically the same layout on those as on my G15 which would be nice - and I can lock the windows key, which is actually a plus, but they seem a bit expensive.

Whenever a company names anything meant for gamers "tk" I laugh - to me that still stands for Team Killer. Well the CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate seems nice. I'm not sure if I want a NumPad, I did use it, but so very rarely... I really like the XT-Stealth, clean caps would be interesting actually, and i don't think it'll rub through quite as quick. Seen a set of clear un-printed caps which is also interesting - especially with lighted keyboards.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2014, 14:47

A backlit keyboard with unprinted caps, you say? Why, I have just such a Ducky right here:
Yes, it's not clear but it's a similar idea. Everything is kinda yellow…

I wrote a lengthy review of it with comparisons to IBMs and my own custom built 60% keyboard. If you fancy a read, have at it.

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... t7130.html

In short: Duckies are solid, IBMs are beasts and customs are the way to get exactly what you want.

Findecanor

14 Jan 2014, 15:58

I notice that for the DIY projects I am doing... these projects tend to drag out quite a lot over time. This is partly because of all the things that I want to do, and get just right.
Xaromir wrote:Whenever a company names anything meant for gamers "tk" I laugh - to me that still stands for Team Killer.
For me and other hardcore Star Wars fans who are into costuming it stands for Imperial Stormtrooper, because of the one named "TK-421" in the first movie.
The only Quickfire TK that for me really feels like TK is the one that is white and black. :)

Return to “Keyboards”