Dyesubs from G81 on Ducky

Monkay

17 Feb 2014, 22:01

Hey guys,

I just bought an old Cherry G81 with a nice Dyesub set in very good condition. Here is a picture: Image

I would like top put the keycaps on my Ducky G2Pro with MX-Reds. But I guess that the off-centered capslock and the bottom row will not fit. Do you guys have an idea how I can find a nice solution for this problem?
I thought of buying a new G81 with laser-etched PBT-keycaps, but I am not sure if they have the exact same mod colors and if the way-less contrast will be very noticable.

scottc

17 Feb 2014, 22:55

The winkeyed Cherry boards with 1.25U mods might help. Not sure about the caps lock, though, sorry!

Monkay

17 Feb 2014, 23:02

Yes, that is what I meant with the "new G81". The thing is, that it is very hard and expensive to find a PBT-Dyesub version of those (I am not even sure if they exist) and i am also not sure if the color of the PBT-Laseretched mods do fit the one I have.

kint

17 Feb 2014, 23:20

Nope and nope. Lasered will differ quite some and dyesubs were never made in 1.25, at least I've never seen any. G81 mods in 1.25 will never fit without modification of the stem - as those are offcenter mount.
Imo the easiest solution is to go for colourful caps on those. Or buy a remake set, those exist afaik. Whether the base colours of the caps will match 100% is a whole other story.
Last edited by kint on 17 Feb 2014, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

daetsid

17 Feb 2014, 23:20

best match would be a new GMK set with 1.25 mods...or a moogle set from SP (it includes full touch capslock and 1.25x mods)

IvanIvanovich

17 Feb 2014, 23:23

You will find the 1.25 keys on a G81 to be 100% useless for MX. The stem is not in the center on them. Why Cherry did this is a mystery. You will need to get a G80. I would recommend looking for MX8000 series models as they have a fulltouch caps lock too. The 2tone style ones should match on the keycap colors, though of course the lasering will be condierably lighter looking than the dyesub legends.
Otherwise your next best bet would probably to mix in some keys from an imsto Cherry thick PBT set.

Kurk

17 Feb 2014, 23:24

Also, aren't the stems of the Cherry bottom row 1.25 u mods off-center? At least the ones from my lasered PBT G81 boards are.

edit: ninja'd by Ivan.

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 10:46

Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. So I think looking for a cheap G80 with a fitting bottom row could be the cheapest solution for me, as long as the base-colors of the mods are the same. Otherwise I would have to buy a whole PBT set from imsto/GMK/SP, which would be too expensive for me I think. Or is there anything where I can buy only the mods/bottom row.

What do you mean by colorful Kint, I cant really think of something that would work fine, a link would be cool.

kint

18 Feb 2014, 12:24

Monkay wrote:Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. So I think looking for a cheap G80 with a fitting bottom row could be the cheapest solution for me, as long as the base-colors of the mods are the same. Otherwise I would have to buy a whole PBT set from imsto/GMK/SP, which would be too expensive for me I think. Or is there anything where I can buy only the mods/bottom row.
What do you mean by colorful Kint, I cant really think of something that would work fine, a link would be cool.
Well, it all depends on how picky you are anyway. :)
First, lasered 105key G80 with bicolour caps don't come in cheap, they tend to go for 20€ on ebay, for some (or this very) reason. Sometimes even 35, and they are not that common, rather the once every two months kind of.

Second, the colours of the lasered caps will differ quite some, as I said.
The lasered grey caps have a slightly more brownish hue, where the dyesubs have a tint with olive or grey. Depending on the light either the lasered (in bright), or the dyesubs (in dark surroundings) appear more saturated. And of course the high contrast of the legends amplify that.
The white lasered caps have a rather cream white tone, where the dyesubs again have a grey or olive tint, making them a colder white -in comparison.

Spot the dyesubs (and no cheating ;) )
laser-vs-dye-quizz.jpg
laser-vs-dye-quizz.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
Spoiler:
laser-vs-dye-solution.jpg
laser-vs-dye-solution.jpg (81.72 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
laser-vs-dye.jpg
laser-vs-dye.jpg (28.43 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
laser-vs-dye-side1.jpg
laser-vs-dye-side1.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
laser-vs-dye-side2.jpg
laser-vs-dye-side2.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
Third, with colourful I meant something along the lines of these:
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... hilit=cmyk
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... ?hilit=rgb

as I tend to rather go all out than have a slightly off colour, which - depending on my mood - can be anything from, "I don't look at them anyway" to "this really ticks me off". YMMV :)

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 12:29

Wow, thanks for that nice answer. After reading through your description and example pictures, I think that I could live with a lasered capslock and a lasered bottom row. But as you said, I will have to find a G80 that fits the Ducky.

Also I now understand your idea of colorful mods. I also saw the GMK Purple modifiers set which I think would look good with the Dyesubs but again I think it is hard to get in ISO, or am I wrong?

bazh

18 Feb 2014, 12:40

doesn't G81 with doubleshot 1.25mods have normal stem ? :/ but I havent seen one in 2-tone white/beige anw
Last edited by bazh on 18 Feb 2014, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 12:50

This one looks alot like it would fit, what do you guys think: http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s ... ref=search

BimboBB

18 Feb 2014, 13:04

nope, its a G81....

kint

18 Feb 2014, 13:11

Again: G81 (as in the one with MY switches) does have an offcenter bottom row - the stems in the 1.25 mods are not centered so they won't fit any G80 board (or filco, CM, Ducky) without modification. You could do that if you want to go real cheap, at all it's the easiest way to get the center stemmed Capslock anyway.
the particular board is odd anyway, never seen a USB connector on a bicolour board before...

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 13:11

Yep, but I guess the bottom row would fit the Ducky. You guys said that the stems would not be centered but I cant imagine how this should look on 1.25 keycaps. Any pictures?
Because the bottom row has the right colors and sizes I think.

bazh

18 Feb 2014, 13:14

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 13:15

Oh wow ok, that is one of the most fucked up things I saw so far. Then I will have to look for the right G80 or someone who sells a nice set of Iso modifiers that work with the dyesubs. That could take some time.

kint

18 Feb 2014, 13:22

Monkay wrote:Oh wow ok, that is one of the most fucked up things I saw so far. Then I will have to look for the right G80 or someone who sells a nice set of Iso modifiers that work with the dyesubs. That could take some time.
Which will still leave you in need of a capslock, as those aren't common even in aftermarket mod kits.
Or you could just buy a 2€ G81 and take a dremel and remove and alter the stems. Has been done on the capslock several times before, so you'll be able to find a howto here on the forums.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Feb 2014, 13:42

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 13:49

That seems doable. But I never even touched a dremel, nor did I saw one. But this sure is a way to fix the caps-lock problem. But the bottom row is still my "bigger" concern.

kint

18 Feb 2014, 14:09

the process is the same. Dremel knockoffs are 20€. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mini-Schleifer-S ... 4861888e5b

Or just youse a knife, works too.

IvanIvanovich

18 Feb 2014, 16:53

MX8000 series boards are super easy to find and extremely common in USA. For example, and I would consider this a little high to some that appear on ebay but it is cheapest at the moment.
If you want a proxy for one of these from USA you can let me know.

Monkay

18 Feb 2014, 17:14

That would be an option. Although I would only need the bottom row in a small bubble mailer. I still consider waiting for a nice groupbuy of some gmk moogle sets in grey. Maybe there will be some soon. Or just some other nice modifier sets groupbuys that fit the Dyesubs. Is there anything upcoming like this?
I am not up2date because I only come to deskthority for the nice threads and community here. I never understood geekhack and that is where most groupbuys start, I guess.

//Edit: Oh wow. All abort. I need more sleep. I quickly bought it on ebay for 15€ before someone else took it, now the seller showed me the backside-sticker after I asked and it is a G83. I didnt even know those came with PBT-Dyesubs. What the hell. :cry:
Well on the bright side I learned something new today :roll:
Well then now I need to get a real set first.

Return to “Keyboards”