The font on Cherry keyboards

mbodrov

25 Jun 2011, 15:26

Is there any solid data about the typeface that Cherry Corp uses for lettering on their keycaps? Is it their custom design, or readily-available, if obscure?

Pylon

25 Jun 2011, 15:34

Some of the lasered ones are Helvetica.

The rounded bubbly font on the doubleshots, dye subs, and certain lasered ones appears to be custom. I tried to get a match before, but it's definitely custom - though if you mix VAG Rounded Bold and Helvetica Rounded Bold, you can get something close.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/vag- ... ed-bold-2/ (R's don't match Cherry Corp, C's and a's don't match either)
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/h ... nded-bold/ (G's don't match Cherry Corp, neither do t's)

Cherry uses a six pointed *, which is seen on VAG Rounded but not on Helvetica Rounded Bold.

Basically, try mixing the two.

xbb

25 Jun 2011, 16:44

Until when they used this font?

mbodrov

27 Jun 2011, 19:57

So, our members in Germany never tried to ask Cherry Corp directly about the font?

Findecanor

27 Jun 2011, 20:11

(never mind)
Last edited by Findecanor on 28 Dec 2011, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

27 Jun 2011, 20:29

Font looks vaguely Germanic to me.

Especially on the uber rare Red Cherry Corp doubleshot ESC key.

Makes for a nice fridge magnet too.
Last edited by ripster on 29 Jun 2011, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

29 Jun 2011, 03:33

I have a copy somewhere of the Cherry font. Its in some obscure custom format (seems mac related) that I have never been able to open or convert. I am sadly not allowed to share the font either. The official(?) name for it contains something like "Plotter B". I guess it was indeed a custom made font, probably in 1985, which is when I saw the font being used for the first time.

ripster

29 Jun 2011, 03:44

Sure beats that ugly ass Signature Plastics font. Makes Arial look good.

Topre's remain my favorite Red Esc key. Cherry's is kinda orangey.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

29 Jun 2011, 04:19

Yeah, they seemed to have used a different plastic for the Esc one. The older RGB ones are a much darker red, similar to Topre. They are still nice and rare.

Though not as rare as the obscure F11 and F12!

ripster

29 Jun 2011, 08:24

I tend to go for one colored key per keyboard.

The Red ESC key pulls the room together.

Pylon

30 Jun 2011, 00:15

OT, but it would be cool to make a minimize key, a maximize key, and a red close key and then put it in the PrintScreen - ScrollLock - Pause/Break cluster.

Exemplar

12 Apr 2020, 11:23

sixty wrote:
29 Jun 2011, 03:33
I have a copy somewhere of the Cherry font. Its in some obscure custom format (seems mac related) that I have never been able to open or convert. I am sadly not allowed to share the font either. The official(?) name for it contains something like "Plotter B". I guess it was indeed a custom made font, probably in 1985, which is when I saw the font being used for the first time.
I am necroing a crazy old post, but do you still happen to have a copy of that font?

photekq
Cherry Picker

12 Apr 2020, 15:40

Exemplar wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 11:23
I am necroing a crazy old post, but do you still happen to have a copy of that font?
Sixty hasn't been active in years, so don't expect a response any time soon. It seems like he wouldn't be able to share it anyway, going by his post. You might want to have a look at this in the meantime.

Return to “Keyboards”