"No difference between Cherry Brown/Blue and BS"

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Jul 2011, 02:01

A reviewer of the Kinesis Advantage, Unicomp Space Saver, and Das Keyboard writes:
There might be some difference between the Browns and Blues, I suppose, but I think if you gave me the Coke-Pepsi challenge by blind-folding me, putting a keyboard with Browns under my fingers and then swapping it for an identical one with Blues, I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference or pick a winner. To me, they’re equivalent, or close enough that I wouldn’t care.
But the difference between the buckling springs and Cherry switches is so slight at this level of quality that my real question is, “Who cares?” To me, it’s like reading the Nikon and Canon aficionados duking it out over the most recent dSLR. The differences between the most recent Digital Rebels and the most Nikon consumer “D” series cameras are so slight that I’m skeptical most people would notice them in day-to-day usage.
You heard it here first. All these switches are virtually identical! :ugeek:

Source:
http://jseliger.com/2011/07/17/further- ... ars-later/

Brink

18 Jul 2011, 11:52

To me, it’s like reading the Nikon and Canon aficionados duking it out over the most recent dSLR. The differences between the most recent Digital Rebels and the most Nikon consumer “D” series cameras are so slight that I’m skeptical most people would notice them in day-to-day usage. And if most pictures are being cropped for Flickr or Facebook anyway, the importance of marginal quality improvements declines between shrinking the picture will reduce its quality.
Wow, this guy really knows how to drag out a metaphor (I guess that it's really a simile, my bad).

Other than that, I guess he is a bit right, as he seems to be writing for people who have never tried mechanical keyboards before. And when wondering whether to get Blues or Browns or BS, the differences aren't always that huge. However, I am surprised he never said anything about the sound levels, when recommending a first board to anyone I always mention the sound-levels of the switches, as for some people the Blues and BS are simply to loud.

CeeSA

18 Jul 2011, 12:04

We should ask him about the degree of his disability.
Maybe then I could understand one for him.

I am shure In his taste there is no difference between McDonalds and Burger King. Both are just hamburger.

mintberryminuscrunch

18 Jul 2011, 12:51

webwit wrote:A reviewer of the Kinesis Advantage, Unicomp Space Saver, and Das Keyboard writes:
There might be some difference between the Browns and Blues, I suppose, but I think if you gave me the Coke-Pepsi challenge by blind-folding me, putting a keyboard with Browns under my fingers and then swapping it for an identical one with Blues, I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference or pick a winner. To me, they’re equivalent, or close enough that I wouldn’t care.
Source:
I'd say we have a new "No. 1 Keyboard Expert on the Plante"
holy shit

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Jul 2011, 13:00

CeeSA wrote:I am shure In his taste there is no difference between McDonalds and Burger King. Both are just hamburger.
Well, that at least would quite well describe me.
A lot of people cannot tell a sharp from a flat chord, a bee from a wasp or the Hungarian from the Maltese language.
Can you? :mrgreen:

itlnstln

18 Jul 2011, 15:15

I suppose if you have a mouse in one hand and your dick in the other, all keyboards really do feel the same.

Julle

18 Jul 2011, 16:30

That might explain why they feel the same even afterwards. The amount of encrusted sperm inside the switch may alter switch feel. Now, we need somebody to test this and post results.

7bit

18 Jul 2011, 17:32

webwit wrote:A reviewer of the Kinesis Advantage, Unicomp Space Saver, and Das Keyboard writes:
But the difference between the buckling springs and Cherry switches is so slight at this level of quality that my real question is, “Who cares?” To me, it’s like reading the Nikon and Canon aficionados duking it out over the most recent dSLR. The differences between the most recent Digital Rebels and the most Nikon consumer “D” series cameras are so slight that I’m skeptical most people would notice them in day-to-day usage.
You heard it here first. All these switches are virtually identical! :ugeek:

Source:
LOL!

The difference between BS and MX blues is like between
a Pentax 6x7 and a Leica M6.

Nikon and Canon 35mm cameras are in the same class, say Cherry blacks or so.

There is even a noticible difference between blues and clicky ALPS.

How unsensible some people are!

:roll:

The Solutor

18 Jul 2011, 17:35

7bit wrote:
More or less the same that happen from some mech talibans, sure that all the rubberdomes and scissor boards are the same.

7bit

18 Jul 2011, 17:47

The Solutor wrote:
7bit wrote:
More or less the same that happen from some mech talibans, sure that all the rubberdomes and scissor boards are the same.
They are not!
Some feel like mushrooms (G86), some like wet newspapers (G81), some just hurt the fingers (G85) and some are quite decent (G83).

rouston

18 Jul 2011, 18:12

I still consider myself as a noob regarding mechanical keyboards but even when I first got into a store and picked-up a razer black widow box and a zowie celeritas and I clicked briefly from it you can tell that there is nothing in comon between those 2 switches. Even when plugged in in demo... In another words this guy is unable to make difference between wine and water. Forget about testing keyboards man. End of the discussion.

lal

18 Jul 2011, 21:47

7bit wrote: ... and some are quite decent (G83).
Please, get some working fingers ;)

itlnstln

18 Jul 2011, 21:49

lal wrote:Please, get some working fingers ;)
That's what she said.

dux

19 Jul 2011, 11:37

7bit wrote:
The difference between BS and MX blues is like between
a Pentax 6x7 and a Leica M6.
This should be discussed. The M6 is not ultimate enough. Either M3 for the ultimate viewfinder or Minolta CLE for the ultimate compactness.

woody
Count Troller

19 Jul 2011, 12:07

Speaking about perception, I wrote this recently at GH:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?1963 ... ps-from-SP

To sum it up - MX blues with SP doubleshot keycaps remind me too much of BS.

Zero replies. Must be my "Wannabe Troll" label.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

19 Jul 2011, 14:45

I read this article before and was like "lolwut?". I think the point he may have been trying to make was that he found them all enjoyable to type on that he didn't have a particular preference. Either that, or he suffering from some sort of neurological issue.
lal wrote:
7bit wrote: ... and some are quite decent (G83).
Please, get some working fingers ;)
I used to type on a G83 a long time ago. Quite decent for a rubber dome, although the space bar was horrible.

Then again, I also think Apple Aluminiums are decent keyboards, so hey, maybe I'm just mad.

Ascaii
The Beard

19 Jul 2011, 15:19

anyone wanting to ask the reviewer any questions like...WTF? WAI!?!?! can pm him over at geekhack

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2001 ... ears-later

Return to “Keyboards”