The Cherry Switch Try Gaming PCB's

CeeSA

15 Jan 2012, 23:41

Icarium wrote:Okay, to get started, what is a sinklist?
read the 1st post

Icarium

16 Jan 2012, 00:51

Okay, I would like to be on the list. :)

haiiyaa

20 Jan 2012, 00:12

hi and sorry

I will sent it tomorrow... I recieved it back because I wrote the adress wrong(wrong country :D)

cable

20 Jan 2012, 07:34

haiiyaa wrote:hi and sorry

I will sent it tomorrow... I recieved it back because I wrote the adress wrong(wrong country :D)
Waiting patiently!

sil

25 Jan 2012, 14:02

Hello,

I've been lurking on this board, and this is my first post. Nevertheless I'd love to try some mechanical switches! Please put me on the list:

sil (Germany)

Thanks!

CeeSA

25 Jan 2012, 16:51

2 German guys are in

haiiyaa

26 Jan 2012, 13:36

Cable should have recieved it as i sent it on saturday

cable

26 Jan 2012, 16:38

I received the package today just some minutes ago.

The mailman even knocked on my door while I was showering so I had to get out and open. Was quite surprised when I got it.

Soon time to play around with them.

Circlepit

28 Jan 2012, 17:39

I want to try, because i want to buy my firtst mechanical keyboard

juho3

30 Jan 2012, 20:09

I've just registered on to the site but would nevertheless like to try the switches as I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I live in Finland if that matters :)

cable

30 Jan 2012, 21:08

PCB's received 26/01/2012
PCB's sent 30/01/2012

As the postal ain't working during the weekends I just sent it on Monday instead after work so he should receive this week.

CeeSA

30 Jan 2012, 21:35

cable wrote:PCB's received 26/01/2012
PCB's sent 30/01/2012

As the postal ain't working during the weekends I just sent it on Monday instead after work so he should receive this week.
cable is the man! Thank you for reading the 1st post. Maybe your are the first one who posted the status as requested.
Thank you.

@ others - that's the way

detto87

06 Feb 2012, 17:56

Received the switches today, thanks! Will send them on tomorrow.

detto87

06 Feb 2012, 18:24

Here's a quick summary of my testing. I sorted out the Ghetto Reds, Clears, Clears with brown spring and Greens. Those switches aren't really available in any buyable board so I avoid the hassle right from the start. I didn't really like those 4 anyway.

Browns: Still don't know what to think of them. I like the feel when typing fast, but playing with it (I simulated strafing in Qlive) doesn't work for me. The bump when releasing the switch just feels weird imo. Also slowly draggin in the button to the switch point feels weird because of the bump. Didn't like them really.

Blues: Very clicky indeed. Noisy too. With soft rings it was a bit better but still loud. I would really love them for typing but then again I don't write essays, articles or blogs or similar. I'm mostly searching for a good reliable gaming keyboard. And in that part I see the noise too irritating and the simulated strafe momvement also didn't feel as good as with the following 2.

Blacks & Reds: The same switch but different pressure needed to press down. I'm still not quite sure which one to pick from those two, but at least I'm very close to getting where I wanted to. I might lean on to the reds though as they work pretty good for typing too which I can't see for the blacks as much. Also quick movement reactions might work better on reds than the heavier blacks.

DrIGGI

07 Feb 2012, 16:16

Hey guys!

Im from Austria and i think this is such an awsome idea. I decided that i want to buy a mecha. keyboard, but still don't know which type of switch to choose.

So can you add me ot the list?

CeeSA

07 Feb 2012, 21:21

your are welcome :)

DrIGGI

08 Feb 2012, 09:44

Thank's!

Lets hope that they don't get lost ^^

AtL

14 Feb 2012, 11:00

Hi

Just got them this morning.
PCB's received 14/02/2012
PCB's sent 16/02 to Sweatdeath

Red : my favorites. Very light and when combined with fat o-rings it almost feel like typing on a laptop. I enjoy typing and gaming with them.

Black : same as Reds but too hard for me. It must be quite exhausting for long gaming session

Blue : they have the WOAH effects due to the clicky sound but it must be annoying quickly. I don't believe it as a good switch for gaming. Double taping them is not easy.

Green : same as Blue but harder. meh

Brown : Red + tactility. Trying to do both jobs but ending in a strange feeling like they are not reliable. You don't feel the bump when you type fast. It results as the switch has not a uniform feeling.

Clear : I definitely don't like tactility. The accentuation force is as light as the reds but the tactility feel is way better than the brown. You really know when you pass the accentuation point. But again to play I wouldn't chose them.

I contacted Arnianor 2 months ago to get his address. I wanted him to confirm it again (contacted 7/02/12) but he doesn't respond. I don't want the switches to get lost if he has moved house.
What should I do?

Cheers and thanks again CeeSA
Last edited by AtL on 16 Feb 2012, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

CeeSA

14 Feb 2012, 11:43

if he does not answer, go to next in the line.
do you sent him pm and email?

you could send him an email via DESKTHORITY.

detto87

14 Feb 2012, 14:01

I finally settled on the reds.
Just wanted to share some further opinions.

The blues aren't suited for gaming imo. The bump activation and release points are not in the same spot which gives me problems. Bottoming out and fully releasing every keypress would work but gets annoying. I see them shine in typing though.

Browns feel nice for typing too and are quieter. The bump is a bit too shallow though. Thus for typing I still prefer blues. Browns are better suited for gaming though because the activation and release point of the bump are at the same spot. Also bottoming out which is often the case when gaming feels more pleasant because one almost doesn't feel the bump that way. It's still there though and it kinda makes me see browns as a 50/50 switch. Not the best for typing nor gaming but ok/good for both.

Blacks are nice and smooth. They are simple and linear and have no bump that might hinder doing double tapping. But they're not that great to hold down. The fingers get a little fatigue. Unless one has pretty heavy big fat hands I see a possible drain in activation time. In Qlive I often strafe very fast from left to right to left..during aiming with the shaft. For example I press left/right/left/right in 1-2 sec. The switch felt too heavy to do this quickly and reliable.

The reds are as simple and linear as the blacks. But they allow me to do those mentioned movements fatigue-free and faster. As I had them a while on the KBC Poker I know they work well for typing too. Bottoming out is the norm but that's a non-issue with such light pressure really.

I'm glad I settled with my perfect cherry mx switch and thankfully had the opportunity to compare them all.
I now ordered myself a Noppoo Mini with reds. It has a very nice layout and is plate mounted. Two things that made me sell the Poker (layout the main issue here, it was toooo minimal).

Thanks for this and happy testing!

AtL

15 Feb 2012, 23:32

I contacted both Arnianor and Twisted. Neither of them respond.

I will send it tomorrow to SweetDeath.

The package has been sent the 16/02 to SweetDeath

CeeSA

16 Feb 2012, 11:44

nice, thank you for the update!

Vax

16 Feb 2012, 15:53

I would like to sign up for this if I may! Location: Germany
(I also got a geekhack profile under the same user name.)

CeeSA

16 Feb 2012, 16:28

you are welcome.

SeNte

16 Feb 2012, 17:36

I also want to try it :_ )
I'm from Spain!

CeeSA

16 Feb 2012, 17:37

bienvenida
you are in th list

Gascogne

16 Feb 2012, 18:21

Put me on the list as well. :D

Sweden

Vax

16 Feb 2012, 19:00

AtL wrote:Red : my favorites. Very light and when combined with fat o-rings it almost feel like typing on a laptop. I enjoy typing and gaming with them.
Can you give me a hint where to buy those O-Rings you speak of?

AtL

16 Feb 2012, 19:52

CeeSA

16 Feb 2012, 20:29

välkommet Gascogne!

Return to “Try before you buy”