The Cherry Switch Try Gaming PCB's

CeeSA

08 Jun 2011, 11:58

Thank you Mr. Interface - the 4 original Red Switches arrived today.
So after Heas we have a little break and the PCB's goes back to me.

zeeko

08 Jun 2011, 14:08

CeeSA
Can you say if the reds are different from the ghetto reds, as soon as you get the try bag back?

I'm just curious for another opinion on that.

CeeSA

08 Jun 2011, 17:34

for me there is no difference.
see the post from Mr. Interface - the same

zeeko

08 Jun 2011, 17:49

ok, yes I already read his comment, but wanted another opinion.

Haes

09 Jun 2011, 14:38

I received couple hours ago from kbdfr the package with the switches. The case and the switches are very well made. Everything is explained as you can see on the photo.

My experience: I already typed on MX Blacks (Steelseries 6gv2), MX Browns (Zowie Celeritas) and on MX Blue (Razer Black Widow, Filco Majestouch 2). I was curious about MX Clears and MX Reds. My daily driver is a Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Blues.

Additional Informations: I even switch the keycaps on the switches with some white/grey cherry vintage doubleshots with silencemod to test a little bit more.

So, here we go:

MX Black: linear response with high resistance. I like them. They are good for writing and for gaming. But for me the high resistance is a bit too high for longer sessions. My hands get fatigue after 3-4 hrs. On holding position in some situations in RTS or FPS games my hands get even faster fatigue. So they're on the 3rd place in my favorite list, because I like the feeling, but dislike the high resistance. I wouldn't use a keyboard 24/7 with mx blacks.

MX Reds (Ghetto Reds):
linear response with low resistance. I was very curious about them. They're very rare and keyboards with mx reds are expansive to other common versions like mx blacks, blues or browns. Ghetto red are basically mx blacks with the spring from the mx browns/blues. Although I was a little bit concern, if I like less resistance, I'm very pleased with the outcome. They feel really great and for me they're now the best option for gaming and 2nd best option for typing. It feels like typing on clouds or heavy air (kinda strange to explain). Very light and direct. Missclicking can be an issue, but not for me. I can imagine buying a filco tenkeyless with mx reds for my daily gaming rig. So they jump on the 2nd place in my favorite list.

MX Clears: tactil response, high resistance. First time I get my hands on mx clears. They're like a hybrid of mx blacks and mx blues or like mx browns on steroids. Add the resistance of mx blacks with the tactile response of mx blues and you got mx clears. The tactil feeling is a bit mushy. I don't like them too much, because of the mushy tactile response and the high resistance. Like with mx blacks my hands get fatigue after few hrs. So for me they're not a daily option.

MX Brown: very light tactil response, light resistance. My love-hate relationsship when it comes to cherry switches. Basically a mx red/blue hybrid. The tactil response is very light. So, if you type hard enough, you're gonna think they're linear. If you type slowly, you're gonna feel a very light mushy tactile response. I love the light resistance, but I hate the strange tactile response even more like on the mx clears.

MX Blues: tactile clicky response, less lighter resistance as mx browns. They've a very direct and pithy response. Best tactile feeling for me (not mushy, not strange at all - just exact). The click is a plus and gives you the retro feeling as if you type on an old typemachine. Silencemod makes the click more destinctive and cancel bottom out sound. My personal no. 1 for 24/7 typing and very good for gaming. No fatigue issues at all.

Conlusion: So, after trying the majority of cherry switches, my feelings are fortified that mx blues are the best choice for me. But my alternative isnn't any longer mx black . Instead I would buy a 2nd keyboard with mx reds for daily gaming.

I want to take the oppertunity to thank CeeSA for the PCBs! :)

They're going back tomorrow morning to CeeSA.
Last edited by Haes on 10 Jun 2011, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

deFlash

09 Jun 2011, 15:25

Hey,

nice idee, i will test this Set too.
i am from Germany --->near Heidelberg

normaly i play with Blacks but....
i am so excited to test the RED´s this shit!
when this staff is ok i have a big Problem :P

Thanks a lot

EDIT:
i talk in the moment to ZEEKO, nice guy.
He as say to me, THIS Set will change the Ghetto Red to orginal RED´s, great news.
BUT the Best was, when you can make a new PCB with the Red´s.

than we can see the different from modded Red´s to the master Red´s

is this to much desired??

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Jun 2011, 16:33

Haes, that's a great review. I still can feel the switches under my fingers when reading it and, well, even if I have a completely different evaluation particularly of blues, I can understand how you judge all these switches for your own purposes.

And let me second you:
Haes wrote:I want to take the oppertunity to thank CeeSA for the PCBs! :)

CeeSA

09 Jun 2011, 18:43

List updated.
@ deFlash - wait and see ; )

@ Haes - nice review

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Jun 2011, 17:38

Would you like to include a various sample of the Cherry keycaps too? I'm willing to donate 4 keycaps of each variant that you might be missing, including the rare sublimation ones. That way people would be able to test the switches with different keycaps too. I think it makes a big difference for example on blue switches.

Let me know if you want them or if you think that is overkill ;)

CeeSA

10 Jun 2011, 22:05

would be nice. i think there is no overkill, because a few could focus the switches other would try a lot of combinations with all kind of caps.
2 addon boards.jpg
2 addon boards.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 18439 times
i have got 2 more boards adding to the package. before your post sixty i put double shots (Hispanic) on it :mrgreen:
one PCB is with the original red from Mr. Interface the other one is a little addon. ;)

CherryFan

12 Jun 2011, 12:09

Hallo. Gerne würde ich auch an der Aktion teilnehmen, wenn es noch geht.

Hello, I'd rather like to participate if it's still possible.

Ascaii
The Beard

12 Jun 2011, 12:59

i think ill bite, I would love to try the real reds.

CeeSA

12 Jun 2011, 14:54

at this time the german round is still open.
(list updated)

Haes

15 Jun 2011, 09:27

sixty wrote:Would you like to include a various sample of the Cherry keycaps too? I'm willing to donate 4 keycaps of each variant that you might be missing, including the rare sublimation ones. That way people would be able to test the switches with different keycaps too. I think it makes a big difference for example on blue switches.
That's for sure Sixty. I tested them with Filco PTBs, grey/white Cherry ABS doubleshots (from Ascaii) and your black Cherry ABS doubleshots set. You can remember how i pmed you about the different height between the grey/white and black set (black set is lower over all rows about 0,3 - 0,2 mm). Plus with the silencemod mx blue are feeling a bit different.

The best feeling so far, i get with your black set. It's a tiny bit more direct.

@ CeeSA: If you want to overkill the bag, double the pcbs and mount the switches on a plate :). I think that would be the ultimate Try Bag with Cherry.

-RF-

16 Jun 2011, 20:16

Hello,

I got the bag today, and here is my review.

First I want to say that I started playing keyboard when I was 5, and later Organ and piano, so I think I have a different sense in my fingers. For your information, the Tracker action of pipe organs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_action, better explaination at http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traktur) and other instruments is a science and can IMHO compared to these things we discuss and try here. I am used to get an acoustic feedback when playing the organ, and for me it is very annoying and difficult, if that feedback does not exist, or is delayed - the same thing for computer keyboards. Especially when typing blind, it is important for me to hear what I am doing. Furthermore the action is usually linear, with constant pressure (usually about 100g per key, up to 500g), the operating point can usually not be felt, only heard. Currently, I use the Fujistsu-Siemens-keyboard, that came with my first computer in 2001, I am sure it is a rubberdome.

With that background, I tried the switches and will give a short feedback (not as long as the ones before).

Clear with Brown Spring:
- I don't like the feeling of the operationg point, it reminds me too much of rubberdome, a little bit too soft.

Reds:
- I like them, they are very close to an organ, but for me a bit too easy to push.

Ghetto Reds:
- Same like the Reds, but with the right pressure.

Black:
- Also very nice, a bit too much pressure at the end, but I think one just has to get used to.

Clear:
- Operating point IMHO too early and too soft, reminded me too much of a bad electrical organ with a simulated tracker.

Brown:
- Operating point at the right point, but also too soft.

Blue:
- Operating point at the right point, hard enough, and with acoustical feedack.

So in conclusion I would rank them (best first):
Blue - Ghetto Red - Red - Black

I also gave these to my father, and he was very enthusiastic about the Blues. He now needs a reason to buy a new keyboard, he also uses a rubberdome, but a newer one with notebokstyle keycaps.

So in conclusion, I think I'll buy a Cherry with blue switches first, to test them, and later a Filco Majestouch.

At the end a suggestion: It would be nice if, e.g. for the next round, there would be a little LED on every PCB, so that one can see when the key operates.

Greetings
-RF-

P.S.: Please correct me if I made too many mistakes, I didn't write complete english sentences for a while, usually only source code with pieces of english in the usualley very rare comments...

Haes

16 Jun 2011, 20:28

i started to play piano when i was 5 years old too. switched to keyboard when i was 14 years old. :)
plate mounted blues are feeling even more close to a classic piano.

we've the same taste ^^. did u really notice a difference between ghetto red and red? ceesa and mr interface didn't noticed anything. hm, wounder if i should resign to try the real red.

-RF-

16 Jun 2011, 20:33

Hi,

yes, I noticed a little difference, the Ghettos had a little bit more pressure, it was not much, but little enough to make it perfect for me. I furthermore think that I noticed that the reds were more rubbing inside than the ghettored, but I am unsure about this, so I did not mention.

Greetings
-RF-

Haes

16 Jun 2011, 20:37

i know what you mean. they feel a bit mushy. that's because of the profil they have. black's profil is more steep - so they provide more resistance. the spring inside ghetto reds is the same as in real reds, browns and blues - so they all have the same spring resistance.

JBert

16 Jun 2011, 22:54

-RF-, have you ever tried a buckling spring keyboard? They have a very distinct, rather heavy and clearly audible tactile point.

The only time they are too noisy is at night though, or at a crowded office. But then again, some might even be annoyed by the ticking of the blues.

-RF-

16 Jun 2011, 23:20

Hello,

JBert, no I have not. I thought about buying a Costumizer, or looking for a Model M on eBay, but I did not want to buy without testing. I wish there was a "Try-buckling-springs-Bag"...

Greetings,
-RF-

CherryFan

17 Jun 2011, 02:36

Hallo, wie ist das mit den Versandadressen? (what about the shipping addresses?) via PM?

Haes

17 Jun 2011, 02:58

just pm ascaii when it's your turn.

@ceesa: put me again on that list after ascaii pls (we live in the same city), if it's possible. wanna really try the real red.
thanks

JBert

17 Jun 2011, 22:49

-RF- wrote:Hello,

JBert, no I have not. I thought about buying a Costumizer, or looking for a Model M on eBay, but I did not want to buy without testing. I wish there was a "Try-buckling-springs-Bag"...

Greetings,
-RF-
Actually, why isn't there actually a buckling spring test board?

I do recall that Ripster destroyed his Boscom buckling-spring keyboard in the name of science and lulz. I hope he hasn't tossed the pieces yet, otherwhise he could still make a test board or let MrInterface do the work.

hoggy

18 Jun 2011, 17:25

It would be cool to have a buckling spring tester.

Also G81, G84, Topre, various Alps and even Peerless...

CeeSA

22 Jun 2011, 17:25

we need more Feedback! even some little would do.

list updated.
at the end of the week i woul like to close the 1st round.if
so if any lurker would like to test the pcb, be fast and respond until sunday.

if anybody would like to spent something that should be tested, plz pm.
Last edited by CeeSA on 22 Jun 2011, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

deFlash

22 Jun 2011, 17:26

i am the next ..........jump jump

usopia

23 Jun 2011, 00:51

Hallo,
habe nun die Switches übers letzte Wochenende testen können und möchte ein kurzes Feedback geben.
Wie ihr seht, habe ich es in Deutsch geschrieben, da mein Englisch imho nicht ausreicht, ohne daß es sich blöd anhören würde.
Sollte das nicht ok sein und sich jemand die Mühe machen wollen, den Text zu übersetzen, bin ich natürlich bereit, diesen einzufügen bzw. auszutauschen. In diesem Fall einfach PM.

MX Blue: das sind die Switches, die mich am meisten überrascht haben, und zwar im positiven Sinne. Klar ist natürlich, daß sich die Lautstärke im "ausgebauten" Zustand nur bedingt bewerten läßt, ich hatte mir die Blues allerdings wesentlich lauter vorgestellt. Ein super Tippgefühl, ein angenehmes aber trotzdem deutliches Auslöse-Feedback und der geniale "audible click" machen die Blauen zu meinem klaren Favoriten, wenn es ums Schreiben längerer Texte geht.

MX Brown: für mich sind die Browns so etwas wie die "Universal-Switches". Er hat eine relativ schwache aber noch gut spürbare taktile Rückmeldung und benötigt nur wenig Auslösekraft. Mit diesem Switch läßt sich für meine Begriffe sehr gut schreiben aber auch genauso gut zocken. Ein Allrounder eben, mit dem man nichts falsch machen kann.

MX Clear: diesen Schalter hatte ich im Vorfeld, von den technischen Daten her, eigentlich am ehesten als meinen Fave-Switch eingeschätzt. Jedoch haben die Clears einen Druckpunkt, dessen Rückmeldung für mich schon zu stark rüberkommt. Schwer zu beschreiben aber wenn ich den Schalter ganz langsam drücke, fühlt sich die taktile Rückmeldung schon fast wie ein winziger Stromschlag auf die Fingerkuppe an. Gerade so noch nicht unangenehm aber trotz allem nichts für mich, da auch die Auslösekraft hier höher liegt als z.B. bei den Browns.

MX Black: die Blacks fühlen sich genauso an, wie ich sie mir vorgestellt habe. Linear ansteigender Widerstand, keine taktile Rückmeldung und etwas höhere Auslösekraft. Gut zum Zocken geeignet, schreiben läßt sich auch problemlos damit. Das Einzige, was ich an diesem Switch ändern würde, wäre den Weg bis zum Anschlag zu verkürzen.

MX Red: jaaa, das ist mein absoluter Zocker-Switch! Er unterscheidet sich von den Blacks zwar "nur" durch die benötigte Auslösekraft aber genau dieser kleine Unterschied macht diesen Switch so genial und ich kann mir durchaus vorstellen, dadurch im entscheidenden Moment eine Tick schneller zu sein als mit den Blacks. Perfekt, sonst nichts!

MX Ghetto Red: theoretisch ja identisch zu den Reds, kann ich auch praktisch keine Unterschiede beim Druckpunkt und bei der Auslösekraft feststellen. Sollte es Differenzen geben, fehlt mir die Feinfühligkeit, diese wahrzunehmen.

MX Clear w Brown Spring: Ergo Clear? Ok, ein Switch mit deutlichem Feedback aber geringerem Widerstand im Vergleich zu den Clears. Recht gut zum Schreiben geeignet aber für mich wiederum nicht optimal wegen der relativ starken Rückmeldung.

Mein Fazit nach dem Testen dieses genialen TryBags lautet, daß ich mich wahrscheinlich an jeden der getesteten MX-Switches gewöhnen könnte, müßte es denn sein. Vorteile gegenüber Rubberdomes haben sie nämlich alle. Als persönliche Favoriten habe ich allerdings die Blues zum Schreiben, die Reds zum Spielen und die Browns als Allrounder ausgemacht. Gerade deshalb finde ich es extrem ärgerlich, daß (Zocker-) Keyboards mit Reds kaum zu bekommen sind.

Was mich anfangs generell überrascht hat ist die Tatsache, daß sich alle Switches doch recht deutlich voneinander unterscheiden lassen. Das hätte ich so nicht unbedingt erwartet wenn man mal taktil zu linear außen vor läßt.
Zum Schluß nicht vergessen möchte ich ein big Thanx an CeeSA, der dieses TryBag ins Leben gerufen hat.
Last edited by usopia on 23 Jun 2011, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

Haes

23 Jun 2011, 01:54

nice nice !
perhaps you write your review in english too for non german speaking members.
oh and by the way, post your review in the hwl thead too :)

usopia

23 Jun 2011, 02:00

Dear Haes...;D,
havn't you read my second sentence? My english is not good enough, I think. But maybe I should try...?!

Haes

23 Jun 2011, 02:09

i did... nethertheless it's a great review. you should try it. :)

Return to “Try before you buy”