iPad software keyboard: How to get ANSI left shift key?

Sugoi

16 May 2024, 05:47

Hello!
Not sure if this belongs here... Anyways, my problem is this:

The left shift key has ISO size. Even though I am using English (US) keyboard. :x

If you know of a way to enable ANSI/long left shift key, I would highly appreciate it if you could pass this knowledge to me. My Google search has not revealed anything useful so far, unfortunately. The iPad is a 9th gen model. The OS is up to date.

davkol

16 May 2024, 12:53

How would that work?

The entire keyboard is narrower; there are no Tab or Caps lock, so of course the Shift is shorter too. (The right side is analogous.)

Sugoi

16 May 2024, 13:54

I saw this on Apple's website. Which is why I thought that there must be an option to enable it (at the expense of key size). :?

tactica

16 May 2024, 14:46

It's baffling to see a regular ANSI Left Shift key in portrait mode and then a 1u Left Shift in landscape mode, that's for sure, but then this is Apple so everything is supposed to be fscked by design. :)

I suppose the obvious steps on their website don't help?

Sugoi

16 May 2024, 15:56

tactica wrote:
16 May 2024, 14:46
I suppose the obvious steps on their website don't help?
Thank you for the link. Yes, those steps don't help, unfortunately.
There does not seem to be a toggle for this either in the keyboard options. :(

Muirium
µ

16 May 2024, 19:25

"Custom" third-party keyboards are a thing on iOS. I've only lightly dabbled with them on iPhone. Maybe there's something with a better layout for you out there, or ideally: a configurable keyboard you can design your own layouts for. Imagine!

If I were a real developer I'd probably make my own third party keyboard for iOS, with a graphical editor for users and a cunning auto-complete system. Non-system keyboards are a bit limited, however, and you have to drop back to Apple's one for certain password entry tasks. But we all know arbitrary limits are the way of life on iPadOS.

Sugoi

20 May 2024, 02:21

Muirium wrote:
16 May 2024, 19:25
"Custom" third-party keyboards are a thing on iOS. I've only lightly dabbled with them on iPhone. Maybe there's something with a better layout for you out there, or ideally: a configurable keyboard you can design your own layouts for. Imagine!
Thank you very much for pointing me into that direction, Muirium. :D

Return to “Mice & other input devices”