Best Material for Replacing Keyboard ‘Feet’

Limmy

30 Jul 2012, 15:24

002 wrote:Limmy you need to chill out man. You're wound up tighter than an eight day clock.
I have little tolerance on certain types of posts. I should chill out and play cool. Thanks for your concern though. lol.
002 wrote:Oh and for the record, I have it on good authority that some Topre cases *are* painted.
This is to hide weld marks apparently, but I'm sure that overall aesthetics also play a part.
Good to have confirmation from a knowledgeable person.

itlnstln

30 Jul 2012, 16:05

I have on good authority that HHKBs are not painted. Why don't you cut through the case and show us the white interior?

Limmy

30 Jul 2012, 16:12

itlnstln wrote:I have on good authority that HHKBs are not painted. Why don't you cut through the case and show us the white interior?
Are we talking about black HHKB? I will be glad to cut it if you provide me with one.

I didn't say they are white plastic painted black. I said they are black plastic finished with black/grey paint on the outside.

itlnstln

30 Jul 2012, 16:38

Limmy wrote:
itlnstln wrote:I have on good authority that HHKBs are not painted. Why don't you cut through the case and show us the white interior?
Are we talking about black HHKB? I will be glad to cut it if you provide me with one.

I didn't say they are white plastic painted black. I said they are black plastic finished with black/grey paint on the outside.
Sounds like total conjecture and speculation to me. It's not painted.

Limmy

30 Jul 2012, 16:42

itlnstln wrote:
Limmy wrote:

Sounds like total conjecture and speculation to me. It's not painted.
Educated conjecture from an experiment with isopropyl alcohol my friend.

I think it would be better for me not to spend more time on this with you, who would not read and comprehend.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2012, 23:11

I didn't believe they were painted either but a rep from Topre told me that "some cases are".
I don't think he can speak speak for the HHKB but certainly the Realforce models. As Limmy says, why should it have to be white plastic painted black? There are different colour plastics you know...we have the technology.

itlnstln

31 Jul 2012, 01:24

002 wrote:I didn't believe they were painted either but a rep from Topre told me that "some cases are".
I don't think he can speak speak for the HHKB but certainly the Realforce models. As Limmy says, why should it have to be white plastic painted black? There are different colour plastics you know...we have the technology.
Then why paint it? I don't buy it. Sounds like an uneducated sales response. Similar to Cherry producing switches for their own use on different lines than those they sell to other companies.

Topre Enthusiast

31 Jul 2012, 01:35

Don't shoot the messenger, brother.
TBH I am still on the fence about this because I look at this Realforce right in front of me (black) and I am really struggling to believe it's painted.

Apparently the reason for painting is to hide weld marks which I also don't understand - weld marks on plastic? Perhaps he was referring to the fact that the *mounting plate* is sometimes painted (which it absolutely is and I know for a fact). I'll try and get a more solid response.

damorgue

31 Jul 2012, 01:56

002 wrote: Apparently the reason for painting is to hide weld marks which I also don't understand - weld marks on plastic? Perhaps he was referring to the fact that the *mounting plate* is sometimes painted (which it absolutely is and I know for a fact). I'll try and get a more solid response.
Plastics are often welded together, edges are either thermally or chemically melted and held together to bond, or molten thermoplastic is added as the parts are held together, or a catalyst is added to a thermoset to form the bond.

I don't know anything about those keyboards though. I just felt like explaining the parts I do know.

andrewjoy

01 Aug 2012, 11:39

What about cork feet. If its good enough for IBM its good enough for me.

You could just get a cork floor tile and cut it to size will last for an age.

maximAL

09 Aug 2012, 19:12

I simply used soft furniture sliders for that...

Caps Lock

18 Aug 2012, 04:47

Consider to take a cork from a bottle and cut it to the desired dimensions. So far I have got excellent results using cork, but be careful with the choice of adhesive. Some elastic adhesives like used for shoe repair have a nasty habit to diffuse and leave marks on sorrounding surfaces. This is a known long term effect similar to the marks you get from black rubber feet on painted surfaces or plastic material surfaces.
Suggestions: prefer high quality corks that are made from one piece of bark (opposite to cork made of granulate), use a slitting saw, grinding paper, file, or carefully use a cardboard cutter or carpet knife to get sharp edges and a smooth surface for small parts.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”