Ambi/Ergo Mouse Suggestions

Katherine

07 Jan 2016, 23:02

Checked some of the past topics and they're great, however I have a couple of extra specifications so I wouldn't mind some fresh opinions.

Anyway, I have a SteelSeries Sensei and it's just over 2 years old. I'm surprised it's still working as well as it is but it's definitely starting to wear out, the left click is getting quite 'soft' etc. Either way with a replacement I'm looking for either an ergonomic or ambidextrous mouse but I'd really like to avoid side buttons on both sides of the mouse if possible, if any, just the left side as I hit the right ones accidentally a lot. It's going to be used quite a lot for gaming but I generally play on 400dpi anyway so I don't need stupidly high speeds at all, I would like 500hz+ polling rates if possible. I would however prefer to keep it to an optical sensor too but this is probably thing I'm willing to slide on the most. Wired is a requirement too obviously.

In the past I've owned a couple of Razor and SteelSeries mice which were all okay. Not a huge fan of the oil magnet that is the Sensei material, I keep my mouse clean but it's excessive how clean it has to be with the Sensei. I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of the Zowie mice, with how simple they are but it's hard to find honest opinions about them, I absolutely can't stand lots of flashing lights and 'futuristic' design so I'd love to keep it as simple as possible.

Either way with all that being said, feel free to throw any mice at all onto the table that you've enjoyed if you're willing to say why you like them as considering other mice is definitely on the table, if you will. Thanks in advance and again, don't worry about my specifications too much as some general suggestions for other people would be cool too.
Last edited by Katherine on 08 Jan 2016, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Jan 2016, 02:24

You should be able to remap side buttons to not do anything on any half-decent OS. This is easy enough to do on Linux, I don't know how to do this on Windows or Mac OS. I mention this so that you don't discredit a nice mouse design just because it has some side buttons.

I enjoy the Logitech G3. Good luck finding one. :roll:

Katherine

08 Jan 2016, 02:51

Yeah I've unbound the side buttons on my Sensei, so they don't do anything, just not a big fan of the little inconsistencies in lifting and movement when I do eventually tag them. Thanks for the suggestion and advice though, much appreciated.

Have changed the title to reflect that notion.

maxi

08 Jan 2016, 16:09

Give a look to Switch Mouse by Humanscale.
It features left or right slope, complete palm support, and length can be adjusted to prevent stressing tendons.

In my opinion it is amongst the best ergonomic mice.

It may take some time to adapt to it, because arm is more involved than usual, but wrist and carpal tunnel are unloaded and protected from bad postures/gestures.
It has a cursor instead than a scroll wheel: depending on individual needs or task it may be seen as a value or a flaw as well.
I found it too slow, but I use rarely that function so it doesn't impact on my daily use.
On the other hand I guess it can be really appreciated by compulsive wheel scrollers.

Also Oyster Mouse is really interesting: can be used by right or left handed, and you can adjust it in 5 different slope angles (5 angles if I remember well).
It allows to change easily and often the angle, resulting in a more varied posture, that is the clue to health.

davkol

08 Jan 2016, 19:51

maxi wrote: Give a look to Switch Mouse by Humanscale.
It features left or right slope, complete palm support, and length can be adjusted to prevent stressing tendons.

In my opinion it is amongst the best ergonomic mice.
I'm surprised someone actually recommends that abomination of a mouse.

I've had it disassembled. Materials are terrible. The adjustment "mechanism" is awful and gets stuck easily. Button switches are overly stiff no-name garbage. The wheel replacement is a particularly stiff monstrosity. I have no idea, how they dare ask $120 for this.

Yeah, something-something economies of scales. Well, then at least use components better than those in a $5 piece of poo sold on DX.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”