The foot switch thread

Scary Guy

30 Aug 2022, 22:53

So, my PCSensor (that's the brand name) three petal (key) foot switch has died (mostly, I think it's a USB connection issue.) I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to replace it with.

I find having one is useful, especially if programed to function as modifier keys. No more Emacs pinkie! (or in my case, thumb.)

browncow

04 Sep 2022, 21:09

how about those heavy duty industrial pedals for machines, they have roller micro switches inside which you could just wire up to a pro micro
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/YORKING-Indu ... B08D6FTX98
something like that, i think you can find even cheaper pedals than this and they are super sturdy and satisfying

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2022, 21:13

What jack do they have on the back? Can’t see it face on in the pictures, but you can tell it’s something quite large, which may be satisfying in itself! Chunky oldschool cable like that you don’t wanna miss out…

browncow

04 Sep 2022, 21:15

it's not a jack, its a holder for a thick cable but those are screw-on so you could probably mount some nice big jack connector there or i think a DIN would fit too.

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2022, 21:18

Ah! These were made for modding, then. Seems to be an obligatory element of their use!

I’ve heard our very own Kbdfr uses a footpedal in his work to control audio playback. Wonder what kit he’s into under the desk. Not a foot-sized Tipro surely. :lol:
Last edited by kbdfr on 05 Sep 2022, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: note by kbdfr: deleted from this post personal details about me I never made public.

joebeazelman

05 Sep 2022, 00:44

I have an Austrian-made transcription foot switch I bought from a thrift store for $5. The pedal switches have a nice click to it. It also has a 6-pin DIN connector, but I have no idea what the pinouts are. It might make for a fun electronics project in the future, perhaps a user programmable USB HID device.
AE0ED9A4-0DDE-480C-8F38-DDB29EE5F353.jpeg
AE0ED9A4-0DDE-480C-8F38-DDB29EE5F353.jpeg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 24059 times
93A10D03-6641-40E3-AA16-71011A35793C.jpeg
93A10D03-6641-40E3-AA16-71011A35793C.jpeg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 24059 times

Scary Guy

05 Sep 2022, 02:02

I was thinking more of something that maybe I could use the QMK firmware with, potentially. Although I'm pretty sure nothing like that exists right now. I guess if people really wanted there could be LEDs under the pedals too.

I'm way too ADHD to carry this idea forward though and the 'tism doesn't help any either. I would really like it if my ideas could just appear out of thin air.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Sep 2022, 07:25

Muirium wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 21:18
Ah! These were made for modding, then. Seems to be an obligatory element of their use!

I’ve heard our very own Kbdfr uses a footpedal in his work to control audio playback. Wonder what kit he’s into under the desk. Not a foot-sized Tipro surely. :lol:
Of course a Tipro :lol:

Scary Guy

05 Sep 2022, 09:41

kbdfr wrote:
Not a horrible idea really, but it probably only works well bare footed or with wingtips.

Actually never mind, I just imagined cleaning that.

Also I can't realistically see needing more than 3 petals unless you're doing something with gaming or music synthesis.

browncow

05 Sep 2022, 10:25

Scary Guy wrote:
I was thinking more of something that maybe I could use the QMK firmware with, potentially. Although I'm pretty sure nothing like that exists right now. I guess if people really wanted there could be LEDs under the pedals too.

I'm way too ADHD to carry this idea forward though and the 'tism doesn't help any either. I would really like it if my ideas could just appear out of thin air.
realistically you can use those industrial switches with QMK. you just need an arduino pro micro, and a bit of wire to wire the microswitches inside of those to pro micro pins. It would be super easy because you only need 4 pins, so you can just wire them directly and still have pins left for driving LED's for example.

Scary Guy

05 Sep 2022, 10:32

I didn't even consider that. Good idea, thanks!

mmm

05 Sep 2022, 22:45

If you come across a piano/keyboard foot-pedal those should also be possible to mod. I just checked one I have laying around, and it is definitely binary (but it's reverse of a normal switch, with ~0 Ω when it's unpressed). But the industrial pedals might be a better fit.
kbdfr wrote:
I was not expecting to see something so accurate. Impressive.
Scary Guy wrote:
I would really like it if my ideas could just appear out of thin air.
You and me both!

Muirium
µ

06 Sep 2022, 21:40

I do actually have a Roland DP-2 piano pedal lying spare, which came bundled with my FP-30 piano. I use the posh 3 pedal board instead. Never had a use for the little guy with that. It's entirely binary, and I think has a big old fashioned quarter inch jack. If anyone local's interested, it's yours for the price of shipping.

Scary Guy

12 Sep 2022, 07:49

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ms ... -footpedal

I wanted to mention this, which is overpriced gaming crap. Also why does MSI even need a Kickstarter anyway?

I guess at least the lights make it easier to find in the dark.

Muirium
µ

12 Sep 2022, 23:19

Scary Guy wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 07:49
Also why does MSI even need a Kickstarter anyway?
Shame is unlocked as one of the higher stretch goals.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”