Ploopy Classic Trackball

Sugoi

20 Nov 2023, 05:18

Hello guys!

I have stumbled over this open source Ploopy Trackball, that is reminiscent of that old Microsoft Trackball Explorer (which I never used before). And I was wondering if there are trackball users here who have used it already. :)

If so, how do you fare with it in comparison to your other trackballs?

As for me, I have been using trackballs for more than 15 years due to CTS. Of all the trackballs I have ever had in use so far the Kensington Slimblade is my favorite in terms of ergonomics. While it's my favorite for browsing and work, it's not ideal for me as to playing FPS and RTS games. For this purpose I have tried several of the finger-operated Elecom trackballs, which do work better.

robo

01 Dec 2023, 00:15

I'm not a fan of the 3D printed look at the best of times, but for something you are constantly in contact with the rough texture seems particularly unwelcome. Neat idea though.

Findecanor

01 Dec 2023, 02:06

There are ways to smoothen 3D prints though. If it is ABS, you could wipe with some acetone. You could use progressively finer sandpaper.
Or you could spend some time with both sandpaper and filler-primer to get a perfect surface that you'd then paint. Although paint wears off sooner or later.

robo

12 Dec 2023, 21:36

On that topic, I just saw an interesting video on using thinned two part epoxy and an airbrush to apply a perfectly smooth plastic coating over a 3D printed shape. With some practice it seems like it can produce really nice results and they will be extremely durable.

Dingster

30 Dec 2023, 14:46

I have a Ploopy Mini and it's a pretty great trackball, though I have to confirm what Robo said about the 3d printed texture. It really does get very grimy with use and requires quite a bit of effort to clean.

Thiagoros

21 Jan 2024, 12:32

Dingster wrote:
I have a Ploopy Mini and it's a pretty great trackball, though I have to confirm what Robo said about the 3d printed texture. It really does get very grimy with use and requires quite a bit of effort to clean.
It's wonderful to hear excellent feedback about the Ploopy Mini trackball, while the mention of the 3D printed material becoming dirty points to a potential cleaning difficulty. Regular maintenance activities may be required to maintain the best performance possible.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Jan 2024, 14:44

Thiagoros wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 12:32
Dingster wrote:
It's wonderful to hear excellent feedback about the Ploopy Mini trackball, while the mention of the 3D printed material becoming dirty points to a potential cleaning difficulty. Regular maintenance activities may be required to maintain the best performance possible.
@Thiagoros
Like your other post, this answer has a definite ChatGPT smell :mrgreen:

Return to “Mice & other input devices”