Is a trackball the right solution?

longweight
key-bored

14 Jul 2012, 13:02

Hi all,

I occasionally get pains in the back of my mouse hand, I think that it is a combination of typing and mouse work. I use a PC at work for about 7 hours a day and then I game in the evening between cooking and swimming.

I currently use a MX revolution mouse and a HHKB2 at work, would a trackball ease the pain? I want to take preventive action against any future problems. I have been looking at the Logitech M570 as I think that the thumb track ball would be better for me (pain seems to be in the finger tendons).

Or would a wrist rest be a better solution?

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2012, 13:12

Could be, could be not. Maybe the problem is in moving your hand from and to the keyboard, or how your hand is positioned over the pointing device, and not related to the mouse itself. Personally I think you should just try stuff, doing things a bit different might just fix it for you.

longweight
key-bored

14 Jul 2012, 13:13

True, any recommendations for a cheap trackball to try out for a few days?

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2012, 13:15

I'm using that Logitech M570 myself at one workstation.

longweight
key-bored

14 Jul 2012, 13:15

How is it? Is the scroll wheel free-rolling like the MX revolution?

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2012, 13:20

Unfortunately not, one of its weak points. I reviewed it here:
http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... 0-t97.html
I probably will have to give it a 7/10 now, because I've been using it quite a lot so I like it, and it's still going strong. Only had to change the batteries once.

longweight
key-bored

14 Jul 2012, 13:24

Damn :(

JaccoW

14 Jul 2012, 14:29

How big are your hands? Because I used to have a roccat kone [+] and didn't have any problems. A high enough sensitivity meant I didn't have to use my wrist at all. Then the scroll-wheel started glitching. :'(
Right now I am back at using my old mx-revolution and within 2 weeks I developed a constant pain in my wrist.

I can probably get a new one, but the evoluent sideways mouse looks like a solution.

longweight
key-bored

14 Jul 2012, 14:34

Pretty big, I tried a Roccat and I couldn't get on with the cheap build quality or scroll wheel. I have a G700 at home which is a great mouse, maybe I should finally put the MX to rest!

JaccoW

14 Jul 2012, 18:15

The tension in the finger tendons might be because of getting a keyboard with stiffer switches. I had it for a week or 2/3 after swithcing to clears. Especially around the joints of the larger fingers and at the base of my wrist.

My hands are 20cm from the middle finger sizing info and I find a minimum amount of wrist movement best. Then again I have a fingertip grip.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”