Logitech M570 or ...?

Loafers

13 Aug 2012, 21:10

shopping for a trackball and M570 seems like a solid choice, but I'm hesitant to buy it due to the following reasons:

wireless
lack of full support on linux
battery powered

anybody got any other suggestions :S?

fossala
Elite +1

13 Aug 2012, 21:14

CST L-Track, I've got the 3200dpi but it is discontinued. You can still get the 1600dpi though.
http://www.computerware.co.uk/lasertrac5W.html

Loafers

14 Aug 2012, 05:01

fossala wrote:CST L-Track, I've got the 3200dpi but it is discontinued. You can still get the 1600dpi though.
http://www.computerware.co.uk/lasertrac5W.html
thanks for the suggestion, but that's really pricey — even for a high end mouse.

maxmalkav
dye hard

14 Aug 2012, 09:34

I have a Logitech M570. I've been using it for 4 months.

About your concerns:

- Wireless: that's true, it's battery powered, but also the device consumes a negligible amount of battery. I'm still with the factory one and I've read other user's reviews stating it last almost a year or so. The device is pretty energy-efficient. I must confess I had the same concern that you, but I don't consider it an issue for this device anymore :)

- Lack of full support in GNU/Linux: I don't know what you exactly want to do with the trackball in GNU/Linux but I have to say that it has worked perfectly for me in Debian, without any extra configuration (I only adjusted the speed and acceleration threshold). Using some mainstream auxiliary tools (like xset) it's quite easy to custom the behavior of the device and its buttons. I didn't miss nothing from the Logitech utility for Windows, although my trackball needs may be a little simple.

My real complains about this device are:

- Overall build quality: it feels quite "cheap", specially the buttons. You expect a better and more sturdy device for this price. I find it a little bit overpriced considering the quality.

- Scroll wheel is quite clumsy. It feels cheap ... and it's pretty cheap indeed! I had to tramite an RMA because the pulsation of the scroll wheel itself stopped to work (or be detected). I have also to say that the customer support of Logitech was super B and I receive a new M570 for free quite fast.

I also own a Logitech Marble Trackman. I've been using it on daily basis for the last 3 months and I really like using the ball with the central fingers, more than using a thumb trackball. The main flaw of the Marble is the lack of a proper way to make scroll. I've "fix" that configuring the small extra buttons to substitute the wheel (both in GNU/Linux and Mac OS X), but it's a solution that may not satisfy everyone. If this is not a problem for you, the Marble may be a good wired and cheaper alternative. The overall built it's also quite decent.

I hope it helps :)

maxmalkav
dye hard

14 Aug 2012, 09:43

BTW, I'm considering to sell the new one that I received from the RMA :P

Loafers

14 Aug 2012, 16:33

thanks all. i think i might consider the ltrac sometime down along the road when i can scrap enough $ for it. build quality looks amazing and that scroll bar is just epic :evilgeek:
maxmalkav wrote:I have a Logitech M570. I've been using it for 4 months.

About your concerns:

- Wireless: that's true, it's battery powered, but also the device consumes a negligible amount of battery. I'm still with the factory one and I've read other user's reviews stating it last almost a year or so. The device is pretty energy-efficient. I must confess I had the same concern that you, but I don't consider it an issue for this device anymore :)

- Lack of full support in GNU/Linux: I don't know what you exactly want to do with the trackball in GNU/Linux but I have to say that it has worked perfectly for me in Debian, without any extra configuration (I only adjusted the speed and acceleration threshold). Using some mainstream auxiliary tools (like xset) it's quite easy to custom the behavior of the device and its buttons. I didn't miss nothing from the Logitech utility for Windows, although my trackball needs may be a little simple.

My real complains about this device are:

- Overall build quality: it feels quite "cheap", specially the buttons. You expect a better and more sturdy device for this price. I find it a little bit overpriced considering the quality.

- Scroll wheel is quite clumsy. It feels cheap ... and it's pretty cheap indeed! I had to tramite an RMA because the pulsation of the scroll wheel itself stopped to work (or be detected). I have also to say that the customer support of Logitech was super B and I receive a new M570 for free quite fast.

I also own a Logitech Marble Trackman. I've been using it on daily basis for the last 3 months and I really like using the ball with the central fingers, more than using a thumb trackball. The main flaw of the Marble is the lack of a proper way to make scroll. I've "fix" that configuring the small extra buttons to substitute the wheel (both in GNU/Linux and Mac OS X), but it's a solution that may not satisfy everyone. If this is not a problem for you, the Marble may be a good wired and cheaper alternative. The overall built it's also quite decent.

I hope it helps :)
wow thanks :D!

Loafers

18 Aug 2012, 04:21

just got the L-TRAC 2145W and i gotta say... WOW!

thing is massive and so easy to use. the scroll bar is soo smooth, buttons huge :D! i'm beginning to justify the price on this thing. plus mine is apparently rare since beige + black ball isn't popular so i had to make a special order at trackball world :P

woohoo!

Trent

24 Aug 2012, 03:29

Multi-workstation setup with Synergy installed, windows as server for sharing keyboard/mouse for other computers. This also works wells for if you have a PS/2 keyboard and want to have the PS/2 functionality and key rollover apply to say a more powerful laptop. Normally with the laptop you'd have to use a USB adapter but this approach fixes that.

Rafen

03 Sep 2012, 12:45

I would stay away from wireless with anything from Logitech. I purchased the performance mx mouse and have had it for about 2 weeks and can't tell you how many times I have had to charge it. So I sent them and e-mail asking about the life of this on mouse on a full charge and they said that it would only last " 3 to 4 days depending on how much you use it." That is ridiculous! So I will probably be returning this mouse today to get my money back.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”