Mouses in da House! Expert/Turbo Dance of Joy! aid w/pics?

voxleo

24 Feb 2013, 08:51

So I just made out like an ebay BANDIT with a scandalous score and am inundated with Kensington Expert/Turbo Trackballs!
( Prelude to Dance of Joy)

I got a lot for parts/repair for all of like 18 bucks shipped which pictured a few version 5's (2x serial/ps2 64215's which are steady but awkward with the weighty cable and 1x USb 64217 that I was looking to buy at twice the price for this lot and since I could be pretty sure to fix it, that alone was worth the bid) but the real gem was a version 7 #64325 that looked in decent shape and maybe just needed defuzzing or cleaning. I have been wanting to see if I could tolerate the different feel of the new optical ball and ruby jewel bearing supports enough to give up my smooth optomech bearings for the benefit of the scroll ring (and updated software), but I didn't have the guts to spend 70 bucks on a "maybe I'll like it" item to find out before. So maybe I get really lucky and get 4 of my favorite input devices for half of what I would have paid for just the 64217.

For a couple weeks or so I'd been toying with the notion of the obtaining a PRO with the extra buttons and scroll wheel coupled with my favorite rollers, but those were always too high for my budget by a minimum factor of two and I'd been outbid on two already that week after not immediately pouncing on several BIN's that were just at the top of my willing spending limit. I was newbnibbled on the remaining two auctions ending the next couple days, so rather than push the price higher with the ebay system with my max bid I just left if alone and set a sniper up for the end times or I would forget to do it myself and miss out. I was trying to decide if I should insult didjamatic with a ridiculously low offer on his listing (just to fit my budget, not be insulting) because I was getting antsy about the auctions and having to wait on knowing anything, when the package arrived along with a previously ordered for cheap Turbo Mouse 64210 whose model number I had confused with the USB Expert and no one bid against me to rescue me from my mistake.

But even though I don't have any use for the ADB interface, the rest of it is still somewhat interchangeable for replacing worn bits on my daily use Expert v5 - I have beat several of these into submission over the years, and I'm not yet won over by the new opticals so I didn't mind having it. However, I was soon even further transported with joy once I began the unpacking of the lot, as one of the 215's and the 217 worked out of the box once cleaned with no repairs necessary at all, the other 215 had just a damaged cord at the junction with the ps2 adapter, and I diagnosed that the 325 probably just required soldering a new switch under the main button which seemed stuck. That meant I probably had four working mice and one for parts to keep em going for a while as well as a potential profit in the repair of the v7 if it failed to win me over. YAY - I win! =D Grin! :D

AND THEN I GOT A GIFT FROME THE EBAY GODS...

As I set aside the box after removing the expected contents, beneath the crumpled newspaper which cushioned the pictured lot for repair, there seemed something more still. The box was not light enough for just the paper, and I investigated beneath the wad to find white plastic bag in the shape of yet another mouse! I hoped it would be another of the 217's but I actually had to stifle a little yelp when I saw what was inside. I could not help but think it was pretty fortunate that I had been outsniped and outbid all week because right there in my hand was the very thing I was trying to snag - Expert Pro #64245 (wireless even! and complete with receiver!) I had no idea if it was at all functional, but I was willing to give it a good chance I could render it so!! And with that I lowered the snipe price on my remaining bids as my top price just went down to where at most I would take it for half of what I was willing to go before if I won. I figured if it was a bargain, I'd snag it, but I didn't need it otherwise!

(Insert Victory Dance of Joy HERE)

This is about as good as the PS3 I got for less than 60 bucks and fixed by wiping the corrosion off the contacts just as I was about to give up hope of it working. And the PS2 in travel bag with accessories that I got for 40 bucks before that. And to sweeten the deal, I won my snipe forthe second one of the remaining auctions after letting the newb have the other uncontested, rounding out the haul with a Turbo Pro 64214 @ $32 shipped. And diidn't even have to insult Didja!
:P
(And now for the Aid Request)

The only drawback is that the repairs on the 64245 are dragging on a bit, as I have not been able to get the unit to communicate with the receiver, although the receiver does register in the OS, and I haven't even gotten to try the 214 yet since it turned out that THAT one has to take the button replacement I had earmarked for the 325 (which, on the upside of THAT, turned out not to need it when the plastic that had wedged itself down popped free as I disassmebled it to fix the button switch. V7 BONUS ACHEIVED!). Main problem with both repairs getting completed is that I have no refernence for these components as they differ from each other and all the rest of the Experts I have, so I am wondering if anyone has pictures of the pcb's because I made the mistake of leaving them on the table laid out with the dogs inside and unattende. Now I need to resolder the USB cord to the wireless receiver and the base of the corded unit and can't remember exactly where what goes. Also lifted a couple of traces as the cords pulled free of the boards, so I need to trace the circuitry just around the solder points on the cables.

I am wondering if the wireless reciever is a different one than the original paired with the unit on the 6425 too - Should the crystal resonator/oscillator/frequency controller canister chip things have the same numbers (or pair of numbers) as the ones in the base? If so, then that would be the issue, so I am experimenting with a paired set pulled off an old cordless phone set to see if that picks up, and if so will try and scavenge another matched set out of something else for the second pair. But I have no idea how the cord was connected to the board of the receiver now to test that theory. Meanwhile though, I have cleaned up the rollers and buttons of goop and lint fuzz and everything else looks fine on the wireless one and am about to solder the new switches on the other.

Does anyone have these that they can snap a pic of or draw a diagram of which color wire goes to what hole and which holes connect to the thin traces on the reciever?

I THINK that J1 on the left side of the wireless receiver (components facing up and attenae at the bottom) should be
pin 1 (green) at the bottom square pad with the trace leading away to the right under R7 and R* before heading to the iC and , and going up from that with
pin 2* (white)and
pin 3* (black) which goes through the square pad on the other side and connects to the ground
(*but I can't tell to which of those two the tiny trace coming from the top of the R7 is supposed to be connected It would seem to make more sense that it should go to pin 2, but I can't tell without a reference that hasn't been damaged.) Then
pin 4 (red) connecting to trace on the left side that goes right past the left side of C4 (between the letters) and connects to the bottom of L2
pin 5 (empty and also NC)
pin 6 (Black/ground/sheild ) and trace connecting to the left side of C4

And with the 214 Turbo Pro CN1 on the left side as you look at the bottom (green side) of the board it should be the same order but opposite numbering with
pin 1 (Black/ground) at the top connected to the copper trace/sheet/ground
pin 2 (empty / NC) below that
pin 3 (red) meeting L1
pin 4 (black) and the trace/sheet/ground
pin 5 (white) and L2
pin 6 (green) and L3

Can anyone confirm or correct?

Actually, now that I've written it out and compared the two it makes more sense now and I think I will go ahead and go with that, but I will check back again before plugging in just in case someone catches a fatal error...

It was really screwing with my head that the numbers were different, and I didn't see the pattern until just now. That would mean that the 245 would be pin 2 conneting that skinny little line and not pin 3, which is fine now that I have got everything sorted out. It didn't make sense that the numbers would be different since they are the same type of interface, but Kewl. - as long as its consistent with the colors and order that should be right. =)

Cheers!
:P

rodtang

24 Feb 2013, 12:04

Ok, that is waaay too much text and nowhere near enough pictures!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”