Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick

HybridCore

02 Apr 2013, 18:41

Just curious to see what people like, or even how many people have one (or both). Out of what I've tried (XBOX 360 controller, the one that comes with the 360 Slim, Dualshock 3, and Dualshock 2), I liked the Dualshock 2 controller best.

phirestarter

02 Apr 2013, 19:24

The XBOX 360 one, by far.

vun

02 Apr 2013, 22:40

X360, the PS2 controller is a bit too small for me and a lot harder to get working with a PC. The X360 controller just needs to be plugged in(or the receiver for it, in my case) and it works with a bunch of games with no need to configure anything.

Having to use xpadder or something like that is a hassle and never works as smooth as something that supports Xbox controllers out of the box.

I'd like to get a PS4 and/or Wii U Pro controller working in Windows, though.
If anyone knows how, do tell.
Edit: I'm thinking physically mostly, I remember reading something about tricking Windows into thinking the PS controller is a X360 one so you don't have to configure anything, but as far as I know the PS4 controller is wireless only and there's no PC receiver that I know of.

HybridCore

02 Apr 2013, 23:58

vun wrote:X360, the PS2 controller is a bit too small for me and a lot harder to get working with a PC. The X360 controller just needs to be plugged in(or the receiver for it, in my case) and it works with a bunch of games with no need to configure anything.

Having to use xpadder or something like that is a hassle and never works as smooth as something that supports Xbox controllers out of the box.

I'd like to get a PS4 and/or Wii U Pro controller working in Windows, though.
If anyone knows how, do tell.
Edit: I'm thinking physically mostly, I remember reading something about tricking Windows into thinking the PS controller is a X360 one so you don't have to configure anything, but as far as I know the PS4 controller is wireless only and there's no PC receiver that I know of.
I don't really know if I like the Dualshock 4 controller. I feel like they should have just built upon the Dualshock 2 since that was probably their best controller. The triggers on the Dualshock 3 aren't that good IMO. They could have gone with a wireless Dualshock 2 with a microUSB port (since micro USB has basically replaced mini USB). I don't find the LED light for Playstation Move/Eye on the Dualshock 4 particularly useful. The touchpad also seems too small.

The Wii U Pro controller would be interesting though. I think you can only use it with Dolphin emulator right now though.

Neal

12 Apr 2013, 19:33

X360 by a fair margin, the triggers on the Dualshock put me off.

TheGlow

15 Apr 2013, 17:16

The old non analog ps1 pad was my fav. dualshock2 is ok, but those triggers on the 3 are god awful.
For PC I've been using an old wired 360 pad, but I modded the dpad to make it more responsive.

MMTE

02 Jun 2013, 00:58

I like this topic.

My fave pads are the N64 pad, the Saturn pad and the Xbox Controller S.

You'll notice I don't have the 360 controller on there. I almost should, because it's brilliant except for the D-pad; but the D-pad is so bad I can't put it on my list. I also don't own one - I've been holding off for the next iteration which we now know will be the Xbox ONE controller. The Controller S is my pad of choice with the Saturn pad coming into use for old school 2D titles and the N64 pad for N64 games of course. I loved that pad.

Topre Enthusiast

02 Jun 2013, 01:51

Given that I only really played (and continue to play on GGPO) 2D fighting games, my preference was based on how good the D-pad was :)
The SNES controller was great, and the Dreamcast controller had a nice D-pad too, if a little small. The Dreamcast controller suffered from horrible input lag on the trigger buttons though which almost ruined it (on a side note, Dreamcast was awesome for 2D fighting games, so I basically got used to it). Once CPS3 encryption was cracked in mid-2007, the Dreamcast went into storage and I bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 :)
I think I have about 5 or 6 arcade sticks now and don't even really use control pads anymore.

kile

03 Jun 2013, 09:54

MS SideWinder 3D Pro Plus or a Precision Pro. :)

I rarely play nowadays and when I do I only play space sims. So a full sized stick is the way to go. Too bad optical tracking didn't catch on.

Pro542

14 Jun 2013, 12:11

Razer onza TE

I prefer the Xbox controller over the PS one. Although I don't play fighting games, the dpad is not good still on the onza. Everything else on it is fine.

The new Xbox one controller looks awesome by the way :O

ne0phyte
Toast.

14 Jun 2013, 12:19

I still have an old Logitech WingMan Force 3D Pro which I used for flight simulators like Rise of Flight.
And if and when I play something without keyboard and/or mouse I am using a PS3 Sixaxis Dualshock controller.

I tried the XBox 360 controller but returned it after a few days. The analog sticks are too mushy and they never really center. The PS3 controller is lighter, a bit smaller, has awesome analog sticks and I prefer the distinct buttons of the dpad.

RollFizzleBeef

17 Jun 2013, 05:00

People have done all types of bizarre things to improve the dead zone on the Xbox 360 analog stick, there are even trackball mods available for console FPS players, I think. Though, personally, playing an FPS with a controller is abhorrent.
Not much can be done about the d-pad, to my knowledge, anyone is welcome to prove me wrong, however.

The Japanese SEGA Saturn controllers have the best directional pad ever devised, as far as I'm concerned. It's perfect for platforming or playing other old-school games like SWOS.

I have something of a fetish for them, to put it mildly:
Spoiler:

Return to “Mice & other input devices”