Custom keypad layout (calculator)

velvetZ7

13 May 2013, 16:49

Hi,

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am posting to the wrong thread. :)

I have a BeagleBone, and I have used it for a lot of things, a very useful thing.
Now I would like to somehow create my own calculator. The problem comes when I try to create my own keyboard for it.
I am new to this keyboard topic and I am hoping that you could help me find a way to start things. Now I need to design a calculator keyboard, but how could I possibly do that? I have an old calculator case, it has all the things I need (numbers and other buttons - 6x8 keys)
I would like to put the BeagleBone into the case, and connect my custom keyboard to it via usb. Also, the keyboard layout should be similar to the buttons' layout on the old calculator.

Hence the question is, how can I design my own keypad, and connect it to a computer via usb?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Muirium
µ

13 May 2013, 19:42

BeagleBone looks pretty fancy. More like a Raspberry Pi than a Teensy.
You've certainly got enough hardware right there to run whatever calculator you like. Even one with an Internet connection! Great stuff.

Got any grand plans for your calculator, programmability wise? And have you decided whether the numpad should handle entering code or anything other than the guts of calculations?

As for USB: why yes, there is a way. You might even want to use similar hardware to drive your display, if it's the classic 7 segment figure of 8 variety.

velvetZ7

13 May 2013, 21:54

Actually, I need only a keypad, and as soon as it sends some kind of "codes" to the beaglebone I am fine, I can do the programming of the calculator part. I have been programming for many many years now. (also, I have a LED display, so displaying the numbers isn't a problem neither)I am new to this hardware thing, and since I need a new keypad looks like I have to design my own. Or maybe I could disassemble a calculator, but then again, how do I connect it to a computer?

Return to “Mice & other input devices”